By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Dat Nintendo Cash Grab!

painmaster212 said:
bigtakilla said:
Viper1 said:
Aielyn said:
Wind Waker HD wasn't a remaster, it was a remake. They altered the game in a few different ways, they overhauled the graphics system, and they extensively upgraded the game. Remasters are basically the same game, in the same engine, but with higher resolution textures, etc.

People don't criticise TLOU:R for being a remaster. They criticise it for being a remaster of a game released a year ago. Wind Waker was released more than 10 years before Wind Waker HD.

And as others have said above me, nobody has criticised Sony's HD collections. There's nothing wrong with updating games that have drifted into history with a graphically-boosted re-release. Happens all the time. Heck, even if they don't boost the graphics or change the gameplay at all, it's fine - it's a re-release. On the other hand, releasing it on the PS3, and then having it announced as an improved remaster less than a year later, meaning that people are forced to rebuy it if they want the better-quality version, is a money-grab. They wanted to make people pay twice for the game.

It's not that they released a PS4 version a year later. It's that they hid the existence of the PS4 version (which must have been in development at the time that the PS3 version released) until people had bought the PS3 version in droves. THAT was the cash grab. Not the release of the PS4 version, but the hiding of the PS4 version until everyone had bought the PS3 version.

Everybody needs to read this post.

It has all you need.

And is exactly why people will completely ignore that post, sadly.

QFT. Read this everyone then close the topic as it has everything needed to counter the OP's poor argument.

Agreed, close the topic. This debate had been done to death when TLOU:R was announced.

Around the Network
Wright said:
Anfebious said:
It's funny to see how these kind of price arguments have no meaning to me. *sigh*

Why wasn't I born in a first world country?

Don't you dare imply Spain is better.

Our country is one step at facing default... again. This could get nasty in a couple of weeks.

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

bigtakilla said:
melbye said:
Last of Us just isn't worth it from a gameplay-perspective, it is just so basic. And it was released a year ago

^This, which is appearently impossible for people to understand that a game so readily available at every single retailer doesn't need a remake. Lol.

So by your logic, we should also never release game of the year editions, complete editions, or any other combination of the original game with something else, correct? After all, the game is already readily available at every single retailer, so it must not need to be re-released in any way shape or form.

Money can't buy happiness. Just video games, which make me happy.

None of them are cash grabs. They sold well cause people wanted them. Whoever made the decision to remake them was just very smart.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

bigtakilla said:
painmaster212 said:
bigtakilla said:
Viper1 said:
Aielyn said:
Wind Waker HD wasn't a remaster, it was a remake. They altered the game in a few different ways, they overhauled the graphics system, and they extensively upgraded the game. Remasters are basically the same game, in the same engine, but with higher resolution textures, etc.

People don't criticise TLOU:R for being a remaster. They criticise it for being a remaster of a game released a year ago. Wind Waker was released more than 10 years before Wind Waker HD.

And as others have said above me, nobody has criticised Sony's HD collections. There's nothing wrong with updating games that have drifted into history with a graphically-boosted re-release. Happens all the time. Heck, even if they don't boost the graphics or change the gameplay at all, it's fine - it's a re-release. On the other hand, releasing it on the PS3, and then having it announced as an improved remaster less than a year later, meaning that people are forced to rebuy it if they want the better-quality version, is a money-grab. They wanted to make people pay twice for the game.

It's not that they released a PS4 version a year later. It's that they hid the existence of the PS4 version (which must have been in development at the time that the PS3 version released) until people had bought the PS3 version in droves. THAT was the cash grab. Not the release of the PS4 version, but the hiding of the PS4 version until everyone had bought the PS3 version.

Everybody needs to read this post.

It has all you need.

And is exactly why people will completely ignore that post, sadly.

QFT. Read this everyone then close the topic as it has everything needed to counter the OP's poor argument.

Agreed, close the topic. This debate had been done to death when TLOU:R was announced.

I fourth this notion. And as others have said, you had a two month window to get the game for free by purchasing Mario Kart 8. That makes it sound much less like a pure cash grab to me.

Around the Network
Aielyn said:

Thank you

Baalzamon said:
bigtakilla said:
melbye said:
Last of Us just isn't worth it from a gameplay-perspective, it is just so basic. And it was released a year ago

^This, which is appearently impossible for people to understand that a game so readily available at every single retailer doesn't need a remake. Lol.

So by your logic, we should also never release game of the year editions, complete editions, or any other combination of the original game with something else, correct? After all, the game is already readily available at every single retailer, so it must not need to be re-released in any way shape or form.

Lol, do you really think that is the same thing? A remake from one platform to another is marketed to people who already have the game by the way of saying "it's remastered, so you'll be missing out if you don't buy it". A GOTY edition is only targeted at the people who don't own a game to give them the ability to buy the entire game (dlc included) at a discounted price. One is a value to gamers, and the other is a cash grab. I think you're capable of figuring out which is which.

Big difference between a remake of a 10 year old game and a remaster of a 1 year old game.

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

kljesta64 said:
Wind Waker HD isnt just a port with high resolution its the first of its kind on home consoles a full remaster.

This is so funny and completely not true.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

With the GTS, the Pokemon argument is even more silly these days than it was for the old games. The point of having two versions was suppose to enhance the experience through trading and interaction of multiple consoles, not to take from it.