By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Yoshida- Some Game Announcements Cut From Gamescom PS4 Getting Big Focus At TGS

Sh1nn said:
NewGuy said:
DerNebel said:
NewGuy said:
Sony needs big titles like DQVIIIR, DQXI, MH5, FFVIIR, a new AAA JRPG, etc exclusive to their system and coming sooner rather than later if they want the PS4 to have any type of success in its homeland.

However, being experienced in the game, I know their 'big' titles will be Yakuza 6, Misou, MNG7. While these are nice and complimentary, they won't change the PS4's fortunes and IMHO, Sony shouldn't even bother.

They need third parties on board first and foremost, there is no one game that can save the PS4 in Japan and there aren't a couple that can do it on their own either.

So they should definitely bother with things like Yakuza 6 and a new Musou and all that stuff, while of course also working on getting the real big hitters, it's all important an the whole package decides the PS4s fate in Japan.

I agree with what you're saying, but if Sony is only gonna bother with mid and low tier JP games from publishers and not the real heavy hitters, then they might as well not bother.  Everything is important, and most important is a constant flow of low-mid games; however, the heavy hitters are what really drives system sales and are extremely important for the PS4 if Sony wants it to have any sort or relevance in JP.

I consider FFXV,KH3, FF Type-0 Remake, Bloodborne, MGS5 a heavy hitters. And PS3 already proof that u dont need DQ or MH to sell 10M in Japan.

You may have different definitions, but I tend to break JP games as follow:

Huge = 2M+ sales in Japan alone

Big = 1M+ sales in Japan alone

High Mid = 500K+ sales in Japan alone

Low Mid = 200-500K sales in Japan alone

Low = 100-200K sales in Japan alone

Niche = <100K sales in Japan alone

FFXV = break 1 million (most likely, FFXIII and its iterations have left a bad taste in people's mouths). Highly unlikely to break 2 million. Big game.

FF Type 0 HD = break 500K, highly unlikely to break 1 million. High Mid game.

MGSV PP = break 500K, highly unlikely to break 1 million. High Mid game (I'm actually not that convinced as it'll also be on PS3)

Bloodborne = More than 200K, less than 500K. Low Mid game

Kingdom Hearts 3 = break 500K, highly unlikely to break 1 million. High Mid game.

bonus:

Resident Evil HD Remake = break 100K. Low game

Resident Evil 7 = break 500K, highly unlikely to break 1 million. High Mid game.

A constant flow of all those types of games, along with Evil Within, Yakuza, Tekken, etc are extremely important and will drive some system sales. They are rguably more important than real heavy hitters hitting the system. However, to turn the PS4 around in JP, sony needs all those and the real heavy hitters. DQ and MH are it, IMHO. 

Around the Network

sony conference in gamescom was 1h30 and ended after 1h10, so there was cut somewhere ^^ i am happy, we finally will get a good TGS !

Clearly, they wanted to show TLG at TGS.

"Bloodborne = More than 200K, less than 500K. Low Mid game "

What ? It will do at the very least 1M

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

Aerys said:
"Bloodborne = More than 200K, less than 500K. Low Mid game "

What ? It will do at the very least 1M

Not in Japan

Around the Network
Kresnik said:
I hope the Otaku ghetto announces they've moved to PS4 development. I'd love to have new Atelier & Ys stuff on PS4. Compile Heart have already moved in by the sounds of things.

I'd rather they just dump the consoles entirely or keep working with PS3. I wouldn't mind seeing their things on 3DS/Vita or, more, I'd rather see them on there before the PS4 (and not through cross-play ala Vita).

eFKac said:
JPL78 said:

I know, I just REALLY want to know what Santa Monica is doing.

Haha I hear you! Not expecting it until at the very least next E3, wouldn't be very surprised if E3 2016 actually. After the last game cancellation at SSM, Cory Barlog team only started development late 2013 most probably

As for your previous post, Media Molecule is actually one of the few dissapointing news of Gamescom for me really expected to see their new IP unveiled, as cool as a Tearaway port tailored for the PS4 is, it's not that much.

I was excited about Tearaway because I never played it on Vita. I'm also glad it wasn't that stupid dancing puppet crap they originally showed when the PS4 was revealed. To be honest the main game I want right now is Little Big Planet 3 even though they didn't develop it.