By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Polygon: Tomb Raider's Xbox exclusivity likely means more sales, higher profits

Microsoft are so dumb. They are getting the short end of the stick on this deal. The positives are all in SE's favor.

Why does microsoft always spend way too much on crap? Skype, nokia, this...

Around the Network
vivster said:
Lol. What kind of chimp wrote that thing?

Sure they may be making more money. That's probably what this deal is about. But selling more units? That is just bullshit. The whole "calculation" they did is absolute nonsense.
First of all pretending that 50% of gamers own both consoles is a joke. Secondly ignoring that the cut off gamers are 2 thirds of the market and not just half is another joke.

They can be happy if the controversy about the game pushes it up to half of the possible sales. And yes I'm ignoring that it's only timed exclusive.

Well 50% may be too much, but by the end of 2015, a significant amount will own both consoles. Maybe 20 - 25% will own both. 

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

wilco said:
Microsoft are so dumb. They are getting the short end of the stick on this deal. The positives are all in SE's favor.

They arent in it like the other two, they create ms buys.  Its been like that since day one.  

jlmurph2 said:
Burek said:
jlmurph2 said:

Releasing with all DLC included and better visuals is a good recipe though.

So basically, XOne owners will get screwed over, because they'll have to pay for all DLCs, while PS4 owners just wait and get them for free.

This timed exclusivity gets better and better for PS4 owners, Microsoft is paying for them to get it cheaper, as long as they don't buy XOne. 

This could turn out to be the most brilliant move in the history of moneyhatting.

Xbox One owners got the game 1st, which makes up for paying for the DLCs.

Do you think PS3 owners got screwed over because they paid for all DLCs of TLOU?

I don't know, I'm just glad Microsoft is paying for my DLCs in this game.

MoHasanie said:
vivster said:

Sure they may be making more money. That's probably what this deal is about. But selling more units? That is just bullshit. The whole "calculation" they did is absolute nonsense.
First of all pretending that 50% of gamers own both consoles is a joke. Secondly ignoring that the cut off gamers are 2 thirds of the market and not just half is another joke.

They can be happy if the controversy about the game pushes it up to half of the possible sales. And yes I'm ignoring that it's only timed exclusive.

Well 50% may be too much, but by the end of 2015, a significant amount will own both consoles. Maybe 20 - 25% will own both. 

Do you really believe this?

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=180192

This is a forum of made out of core gamers. Do you really believe it looks better with  the mainstream consumer?

If you don't believe in those numbers we can make a new poll.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network

"It's very possible that the game's existence itself is due to this exclusivity deal; without Microsoft easing the cost of the game's development and supporting it upon release,Rise of the Tomb Raider may have never been given the green light to go into full production."

Entirely speculation, but that would debunk a lot of the whining from the last couple of days.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Burek said:
jlmurph2 said:
Burek said:

So basically, XOne owners will get screwed over, because they'll have to pay for all DLCs, while PS4 owners just wait and get them for free.

This timed exclusivity gets better and better for PS4 owners, Microsoft is paying for them to get it cheaper, as long as they don't buy XOne. 

This could turn out to be the most brilliant move in the history of moneyhatting.

Xbox One owners got the game 1st, which makes up for paying for the DLCs.

Do you think PS3 owners got screwed over because they paid for all DLCs of TLOU?

I don't know, I'm just glad Microsoft is paying for my DLCs in this game.

Happens with all things in Gaming. Should be an official slogan. If you buy something whether it be hardware or software, there's always someone getting a better deal in the future. 

vivster said:
MoHasanie said:
vivster said:

Do you really believe this?

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=180192

This is a forum of made out of core gamers. Do you really believe it looks better with  the mainstream consumer?

Its been only 8 and a half months since the generation started. Later on more people will buy other consoles they don't own. 

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

BeElite said:
wilco said:

They arent in it like the other two, they create ms buys.  Its been like that since day one.  

MS currently has virtually the same (in fact, right now I think it is exactly the same (17)) first party studios as Sony. I can't be fucked running the numbers, but they probably have just as many second party publishing deals as well.

But, cool story.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Math and logic are foreign to polygon