By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Polygon: Tomb Raider's Xbox exclusivity likely means more sales, higher profits

This is coming from the website saying that MK8 would sell less than 1.3m or something like that

Current consoles: Wii U, Gaming PC

Add me on Wii U! Adamjh99

Add me on Steam! GamingByAdam

Around the Network
jlmurph2 said:
Ninsect said:
jlmurph2 said:
Well it certainly brings way more attention to your game. Hence the multiple articles and threads. Didn't see many people talking about this game when it was announced at E3.

Talking about it like "never going to buy it" "screw you, square enix" "you done goofed, square enix" etc. I really doubt that is going to help.

When it releases for Xbox I'm sure Xbox gamers will flock to mock other gamers. And then when it re-releases after the exclusivity is up, I'm sure plenty of PS and PC gamers will flock to mock the Xbox gamers. Both situations bring a ton of press which helps.

It will lose out on potential PS sales though. Releasing it outside the holiday season + a late port is not a good recipe.

The One and Only

VizionEck.com

`

Alt ID banned. - Viper.

Ninsect said:
jlmurph2 said:
Ninsect said:

Talking about it like "never going to buy it" "screw you, square enix" "you done goofed, square enix" etc. I really doubt that is going to help.

When it releases for Xbox I'm sure Xbox gamers will flock to mock other gamers. And then when it re-releases after the exclusivity is up, I'm sure plenty of PS and PC gamers will flock to mock the Xbox gamers. Both situations bring a ton of press which helps.

It will lose out on potential PS sales though. Releasing it outside the holiday season + a late port is not a good recipe.

Releasing with all DLC included and better visuals is a good recipe though.

jlmurph2 said:
Ninsect said:
jlmurph2 said:

Could have been achieved with more success by having exclusive dlc on PS and releasing at the same time. The better visuals would still be there.

The One and Only

VizionEck.com

Around the Network

"Let's assume a market of 100 people, because the math is easy. Maybe 25 people will only own the Xbox One. Maybe 25 people will only own the PS4. It's also very possible that 50 of those people own both consoles."

The math in this article ...

They're going to need to prove to me that the percentage of dual-console owners is even CLOSE to that, this early in the generation.

This is just very badly written. It takes a massive amount of supposition and uses that to reach a conclusion. No doubt Square is trying to lower costs while increasing their margins but it's impossible to argue the details of that when those details are unknown.

"So there you have it. Square Enix will likely make more money on Rise of the Tomb Raider due to this deal, which means more Tomb Raider games, which makes me happy as a fan of the franchise. It also means that the PS4 version will likely include more content for less, which will lead to greater overall sales. It's a great deal, and very little of the actual audience is being turned away."

It also contradicts itself here, as it mentions Square GIVING AWAY content that people would need to pay for if they bought the game Day One.

Hm. Maybe Polygon thinks all these Wii U delays are in order to sell more copies?

jlmurph2 said:

So basically, XOne owners will get screwed over, because they'll have to pay for all DLCs, while PS4 owners just wait and get them for free.

This timed exclusivity gets better and better for PS4 owners, Microsoft is paying for them to get it cheaper, as long as they don't buy XOne. 

This could turn out to be the most brilliant move in the history of moneyhatting.

Ninsect said:
jlmurph2 said:

Could have been achieved with more success by having exclusive dlc on PS and releasing at the same time. The better visuals would still be there.

Only if Sony pays for that. I'm gonna bet MS paid a good deal for it. Its probably the same as the Destiny situation, attract the fanbase that your game is less popular with and then assume your regular fanbase will stay the same height. Its risky but its working with Destiny.

Burek said:
jlmurph2 said:

So basically, XOne owners will get screwed over, because they'll have to pay for all DLCs, while PS4 owners just wait and get them for free.

This timed exclusivity gets better and better for PS4 owners, Microsoft is paying for them to get it cheaper, as long as they don't buy XOne. 

This could turn out to be the most brilliant move in the history of moneyhatting.

Xbox One owners got the game 1st, which makes up for paying for the DLCs.

Do you think PS3 owners got screwed over because they paid for all DLCs of TLOU?

Xbox One owned by 75% of gamers confirmed.

Thanks Polygon! Why did we ever need VGC?

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.