By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Rise of the Tomb Raider Timed Exclusive for Xbox

Ka-pi96 said:
Seihaku said:
starcraft said:
DialgaMarine said:
This pretty means one thing; Microsoft knows they don't have a strong lineup for 2015 and are absolutely terrified of Uncharted 4, so they pretty much threw so much money that they drove a company to alienate the fan base that started it's series. I wonder if CD already forgot that both of Tomb Raider and the definitive version sold better on PS3/ PS4?

Before this, Microsoft had Scalebound, Quantum Break and Halo 5 off the top of my head, before any third party games, off the top of my head. Likely Forza 6 as well. If you prefer the PS4 or WiiU line-up, fine. But its just sillyness to pretend MS doesn't already have a great 2015 line up.

I seriously don't see how people are still excited over more Halo. Scalebound should be cool though.

You could replace Halo with just about any long running franchise there, maybe Uncharted or Mario or Zelda or Assassin's Creed, people still get excited for more of those franchises so why not Halo?

For me at least, it has changed the last of any of the franchises you mentioned, outside of 2D Mario.

Around the Network

Although, I had very little interest in the game to begin with (and I despise the name) I will give kudos to Microsoft for aggressively securing exclusive games for their platform.

Unfortunately, I don't think this was the right game to secure exclusivity for the Xbox One, I don't see it being a huge system seller and I think this will alienate the fanbase of the previous game and not push them to purchase an Xbox one to play this game (especially if some of those fans already have PS4).

walsufnir said:
Carl2291 said:
walsufnir said:
It's funny to read here, especially when I remember the time the TR reboot was revealed people (not generalizing but many from Sony side did it) hated on it, looking like Uncharted and uninspired. When it was released many of these people said it was ok but nothing ground breaking and where criticizing it for not being their beloved TR anymore.
Now it is moving on to another platform where a lot of people (including me, having played 1-4 of the old TRs) liked it the way it is.
Sometimes it seems people just search for opportunities to hate on MS. This topic will stay for weeks, months and the moneyhatting itself for years. I guess this will be the top spot on N4G for days to come.

I disagree on that bolded part. Tomb Raider had fantastic word of mouth and many people, myself included, see it as being an improvement on the Uncharted formula.

This whole thing has nothing to do with hating on Microsoft. Its more to do with pointing out just how idiotic someone at Square Enix must be to sign this deal when the first TR game struggled to make money on a userbase of over 100 Million consoles.

It had definitely but as usual it also got hated because

1. it wasn't like the old ones (too few tombs to explore many criticized and there is some truth in it)

2. it was a direct competitor to Uncharted. People even argued that it was a clone of Uncharted while others insisted Uncharted wouldn't exist without the old TR).

I agree with all of number 1 and 2,but I thought it was still a great game. Can't wait for the next one. 

zarx said:
They better not pull this shit with Sleeping Dogs

i couldnt give two shits about sleeping dogs

”The environment where PlayStation wins is best for this industry” (Jack Tretton, 2009)

walsufnir said:
Ninsect said:

Pride.

And avatar control for a month (and/or sig). Or maybe you have other ideas?

Pride? Pride in what? Being right on a gaming forum that a so called exclusive didn't happen to be an exclusive? Yeah, that will make my self confidence way better, for sure.

Really, there is nothing to get me on betting on this one. We don't know how much MS paid for it being exclusive or timed exclusive but I think it will stay exclusive (and no, this doesn't include PC as I never count that for me). You can of course think different but there is no benefit of betting on it.

Geez, what a buzzkill. Sounds to me like you think I am right. Otherwise you would have no problem with betting. Why does it matter what you get for winning?

The One and Only

VizionEck.com

Around the Network
walsufnir said:

It had definitely but as usual it also got hated because

1. it wasn't like the old ones (too few tombs to explore many criticized and there is some truth in it)

2. it was a direct competitor to Uncharted. People even argued that it was a clone of Uncharted while others insisted Uncharted wouldn't exist without the old TR).

Welcome to the Internet, a place where people like to bitch and complain about the smallest things.

So much salt. This just proves how third party games are very important despite how fans try to downplay them (compared to exclusives). This also shows that Microsoft won't be passive this gen which is great for competition.

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

Wow they said playstation would still get a b.s. arcade tomb raider...oh and an old azz remaster thats been around for 2 years..

Team Uncharted!
Team Playstation!
OTF!

starcraft said:
DialgaMarine said:
This pretty means one thing; Microsoft knows they don't have a strong lineup for 2015 and are absolutely terrified of Uncharted 4, so they pretty much threw so much money that they drove a company to alienate the fan base that started it's series. I wonder if CD already forgot that both of Tomb Raider and the definitive version sold better on PS3/ PS4?

Before this, Microsoft had Scalebound, Quantum Break and Halo 5 off the top of my head, before any third party games, off the top of my head. Likely Forza 6 as well. If you prefer the PS4 or WiiU line-up, fine. But its just sillyness to pretend MS doesn't already have a great 2015 line up.

Being completely realistic though, the only really strong game out of that list is Halo 5. Quantum Break and Scalebound will good, no doubt, but with Uncharted 4, The Order, BloodBorne, GT7, Guerilla's new title, and SSM's new title, all (potentially), coming out in 2015, those two simply won't cut it. MS is going to need more exclusives, and I guess this is how they're gonna do apparently. 

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

Ka-pi96 said:
Carl2291 said:

This whole thing has nothing to do with hating on Microsoft. Its more to do with pointing out just how idiotic someone at Square Enix must be to sign this deal when the first TR game struggled to make money on a userbase of over 100 Million consoles.

You can't really say it was an idiotic decision by Square Enix without knowing how much they actually got paid for it. It could very well be enough to cover more than they had expected to sell on PS and PC.

In that case it would've been idiotic for MS to do that...

The One and Only

VizionEck.com