By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is EA Access Going to Harm the Industry? Jimquisition

Intrinsic said:
Imaginedvl said:

Uh, dude please bash the EA Access all you want but what the hell is that?

5 games a year... (5... not 15...) = 300$ ... 10% of 300$ = 30$ (EA Access).

So with 5 games per year, you are already paying back your EA Access, have access to the Vault AND Early Access...

Now if you buy more than 5 games a year you are spending less money with EA Access... It IS simple math.

sigh... again.. are you only buying EA games??? so if you buy only 5 games a year. are they all going to be EA games? cause thats the only way your "simple math" pans out.

OMG... I know it is late but come on...

Where did you see anyone talking about buying only 5 games per year (in total from all publishers). We are (and I am) talking about EA games from the begining...

Like you know: Dragon Age, Mass Effect, NHL, Fifa, NFL, BattleField, Need for Speed, Titanfall, Crysis, Dead Space, ... Those EA Games...

5 EA Games... Yes... What else lol... It is the EA Access we are talking about... EA GAMES! (and yes I'm buying at least 5 games per year from EA... and from Ubisoft... etc.)

So: 5 EA Games = 300$.... EA Access = 30$, so 10% of those 300$ will PAY for your EA Access and then you get the bonus Vault + Early Access... Again, very simple math... I can create a spreadsheet if you want...

Around the Network

Since I don't like most sports games, the initial EA Access offer doesn't appeal to me... I don't care about Madden NFL, FIFA, NHL and NFL Live.

So €25 for 1 year access to Battlefield 4 and Peggle 2? I have a PC where I could buy BF4 for 20 € (as retail version or as download in the Origin store) and keep it forever. Or I can play it completely free for 7 days with "Origin Play Time", which is more than enough for the single player campaign and some online matches. Peggle 2 is a small low budget title not worth more than 5 € (IMHO). And EA hasn't announced yet, when or how frequent further games will be added to EA access.

That said, EA was relatively consumer friendly in the PC sector the last years. They were one of the first big publishers with a fantastic Humble Bundle (Battlefield 3, Burnout Paradise Ultimate, C&C Red Alert 3 Uprising, Crysis 2 Max, Dead Space 1 + 3, Medal of Honor, Mirror's Edge, Populous, The Sims 3 + some DLCs) and a nice PopCap bundle (Peggle Deluxe, Bejeweled 3, Bookworm Deluxe, Escape Rosecliff Island, and Feeding Frenzy 2 Deluxe).

This year they gave away Dead Space, Plants vs. Zombies GOTY, Battlefield 3, Peggle Deluxe, The Sims 2 with all DLCs and Wing Commander 3 for free on Origin. And they offer "Game Time" for free, where you can play newer games like Titanfall, Battlefield 4 and Kingdoms of Amalur for 3 to 7 days... you can activate the free period when you have time for the game.

So they already gained a lot of trust back.

Anything EA does harms the industry!

Guys. Discussion of the potential impact of EA Access on the industry is fine. If someone simply is not going to agree with you, perhaps consider dropping specific arguments, or engaging with other posters.

It's been weeks since I gave anyone a substantial ban and I am having withdrawals.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

The thing is, a publisher cannot make profits off a $30/year subscription for games that are still seeing reasonable sales. So it's only ever going to be shit games and real old games in the vault, except for the launch sweeteners, which will act as loss leaders.

I think it's great to have cheap, unlimited access to the back catalogue, but people shouldn't expect a gold plated service when they're paying a chrome plated price.

Chances are that by the time a current gen game appears in the vault you will have already played it because the wait is too long, or you were never truly interested in the game.

Unless PS Now offers access to new, or almost new, releases then that service will be no better. The only advantage is that PS Now, in theory, will cover all publishers so at least you pay one price to cover all publishers.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Around the Network
Wazowski said:
lets put this simple:

EA Access: 30$
Ubisoft World: 30$
Activision: 30$
Square Enix Live: 30$
Steam Console: 30$
Sega All Star: 30$
Xbox Live: 60$

240$ a year

sure the future looks bright..
now imagine all this services with exclusive content, early access, exclusives demos and so on and so on!

Sounds like access to a lot of entertainment for about 66 cents a day.

I wouldn't subscribe to all those services unless they had content that personally appealed to me though. Which is why I won't be getting EA Access anytime soon.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Wazowski said:
VanceIX said:

Thing is, no one is telling you to purchase all of those.

You only have to get the one for the publisher you like the most. You have a choice here.

that's not the problem, choice we always have, but "what if" you start losing things you have as granted now?

Just because you're accustomed to something doesn't mean you're entitled to it.

Sony fans once boasted about free online play. Now they say paying for online is totally worth it because of the free games.

Hence, you might lose some things you expected for free but the pay service as a whole could be a good value.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

I have come to the conclusion that the gamer universes collective mind has just imploded because something happened that makes absolutely no sense, but it happened.

EA did something that is an incredibly great deal and value for gamers.

BF4, Madden 25, and FIFA 14 on Xbox One combined on Ebay (which is the cheapest) would run you about $80. Peggle is another $10. Garden Warfare is next which is a $30 game. We will most likely get UFC and maybe 3 or 4 other games in that next year, maybe more. On top of that you get early access to games, which unlike demos will allow you to play the full game, and then some bonus 10% discounts.

So what we are left with is a gamer community that is having a hard time digesting what has happened in recent weeks. EA which historically has been the worst game company for consumers, came out and did something bold that is great for consumers. EA had to do something drastic to change their image and this is exactly what they needed.

As for it hurting the industry, that's just stupid. I would pay Ubisoft $30 a year if they gave me AC4, Rayman Legends, and Child of Light, with some more to come later. No problem. That's would be amazing. I am normally someone who only gets disc based games but if the downloads are going to be this cheap then I am all in.

Wazowski said:
lets put this simple:

240$ a year

now imagine all this services with exclusive content, early access, exclusives demos and so on and so on!

$240 for more games than anyone can play within a year? 

You're supposed to be putting up points why it's potentially bad, right? 

ironmanDX said:
Wazowski said:
lets put this simple:

240$ a year

$240 for more games than anyone can play within a year? 

You're supposed to be putting up points why it's potentially bad, right? 

Totally Agree.  I don't think most gamers realize just how much they spend on video games every year.   If you told me I could pay $20 a month to play pretty much every game that comes out that is older then 6 or 7 months, I would be completely sold.  Maybe I go get a brand new game once in a long while but otherwise I wouldn't need a thing.