By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is EA Access Going to Harm the Industry? Jimquisition

Wazowski said:
lets put this simple:

EA Access: 30$
Ubisoft World: 30$
Activision: 30$
Square Enix Live: 30$
Steam Console: 30$
Sega All Star: 30$
Xbox Live: 60$

240$ a year

sure the future looks bright..
now imagine all this services with exclusive content, early access, exclusives demos and so on and so on!

Well, there are two possibilities, first is that these services will only get older games so that I doubt that these games will get excluisve content a year after it got a release as full price title OR they will get new games with excluisve content and if you want these new games it doesn't sound so bad to pay 30 bucks for as example the Activision service instead of purchasing Destiny and CoD for full price anywhere else.

Publishers are obviously interested in it if they think that it will be good for them but it doesn't automatically mean that it is bad for the consumer. 

Time will tell but I wouldn't simply condemn it just because "there could be something bad"

Around the Network
Imaginedvl said:
DerNebel said:

So you really cannot see anything bad happening from every big publisher starting a service like this, which they obviously want people to subscribe to so they give them extra incentives in the form of locking content behind it? Seriously, I don't want a fucking game industry where I have to subscribe to a service like this whenever I want to get a game and don't want to have content locked away from me and I wouldn't put it past any of those publishers to do something like this.

EA Access's whole purpose is it for people to spend more money on EA content, after all you've already put down the $30 to get the 10% discount or the early access, so might as well get this game or piece of DLC that you originally didn't want to get, that's the whole psychological effect they are trying to create here.

No no no. I agree that the "what if bad thing happen" scenario is completly valid. Really, EA may screw up :)
But the "what if good happen" scenario is also a possibility and people completly ignore that.

I don't really see much good happen from this. I mean I absolutely get that this can very much be a service that pays off for some people, so I understand if someone wants to subscribe to this, but I don't know I'm just not too thrilled about the idea of subscribing to a publisher. I just hope this does stay completely optional and unintrusive and won't have any real content locked behind it.

VanceIX said:
Wazowski said:
lets put this simple:

240$ a year

now imagine all this services with exclusive content, early access, exclusives demos and so on and so on!

Thing is, no one is telling you to purchase all of those.

You only have to get the one for the publisher you like the most. You have a choice here.

that's not the problem, choice we always have, but "what if" you start losing things you have as granted now?

hell things aren't that good in the last years, people got used to stuff like having half baked games to have a DLC with the rest of it... and stuff like that, demos are more and more things of the past 

Wazowski said:
lets put this simple:

240$ a year

So this works out to $20.00 a month for access to say 5 games (for now) from each publisher. So on top of the 2 free games from xbox live You are looking at 54 games a year. How would this be a bad thing?

plip.plop said:
Wazowski said:
lets put this simple:

240$ a year

So this works out to $20.00 a month for access to say 5 games (for now) from each publisher. So on top of the 2 free games from xbox live You are looking at 54 games a year. How would this be a bad thing?

Well if all publishers do it the same way (i don't believe they would anyway) you will be getting 54 old games, plus you will have to pay to play their new games anyway..

Around the Network
Wazowski said:
VanceIX said:
Wazowski said:
lets put this simple:

240$ a year

Thing is, no one is telling you to purchase all of those.

You only have to get the one for the publisher you like the most. You have a choice here.

that's not the problem, choice we always have, but "what if" you start losing things you have as granted now?

hell things aren't that good in the last years, people got used to stuff like having half baked games to have a DLC with the rest of it... and stuff like that, demos are more and more things of the past 

What if Sony packed their bags and let the PS4 die? What if Nintendo stopped making games? What if the world imploded?

There are a lot of "what ifs". If you don't want like the service, no one is forcing you to buy it. You will still be able to purchase the games seperately. 

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

Imaginedvl said:
Intrinsic said:
Imaginedvl said:

Yah because 10% discount of new games for people who buy 4 to 5 games per year is something everybody seem to ignore wgen they want to bash out EA Access over and over.

For someone like me (and many others) who buy more than 4/5 games from the big 3 (EA/Activision/Ubi) this is just a good deal and WILL save me money, it is simple math...

I am sorry but your math is so wrong its border line silly.

First it only works if you only buy games from one publisher. But lets break your math down.....

Say you buy 15 games per year. And to help your case, say 5 of those games every year are from EA. 

• 15 games a year = $900@$60/game
  • EA access @ $30/year
  • five EA games at $54 means that you save $30; so instead of spending $900 you spend $870. 
But hey... this is assuming that you actually buy 5 EA games every year. Now take a second and imagine what happens when you are also paying $30 yearly to 5 other publishers. And when these publishers start competing with eachother and putting more and more content behind that paywall. 

Uh, dude please bash the EA Access all you want but what the hell is that?

5 games a year... (5... not 15...) = 300$ ... 10% of 300$ = 30$ (EA Access).

So with 5 games per year, you are already paying back your EA Access, have access to the Vault AND Early Access...

Now if you buy more than 5 games a year you are spending less money with EA Access... It IS simple math.

sigh... again.. are you only buying EA games??? so if you buy only 5 games a year. are they all going to be EA games? cause thats the only way your "simple math" pans out.

Wazowski said:

The Points are things already discussed:

- EA is not trustworthy

- If it's a success other publishers will do the same (and would be very bad for the Industry)

- They just want your money money money, and want it in every way possible

Actually his first point was that it is a good program. He then qualified that by saying he doesn't believe it will be implemented as written.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Well, they already started:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=188252&page=1#

Where will they go next?

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

starcraft said:
Wazowski said:

The Points are things already discussed:

- EA is not trustworthy

- If it's a success other publishers will do the same (and would be very bad for the Industry)

- They just want your money money money, and want it in every way possible

Actually his first point was that it is a good program. He then qualified that by saying he doesn't believe it will be implemented as written.

i meant the points he mentioned that could "harm" the industry.

this is a good deal on paper, but would be an amazing deal if we weren't just talking about a publisher, specially EA.

Imagine a service not very diferent from this (may be a bit more expensive~) but with games of all publishers? (i know it may sound impossible)