By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox One Tier 2 Countries Will Give the Console a Large Boost!

NightDragon83 said:
You'd think that in a nation with as many people as China and an emerging economy that craves technology, the official release of a major game console for pretty much the first time ever would be a huge deal there.

It's not the first official release. Nintendo has been selling their consoles in China for years now. 

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Around the Network

I don't agree with you. It won't give it a boost at all probably. I live in the Netherlands which is one of the countries where it will launch in september. But the Xbox One has been available in like all the stores here for months now. At first it was being sold at a higher price due to additional import costs of course, but later on this changed. Currently you can already get it below the official price as you can see at the link below. This implies the demand isn't very high just like in the rest of the world. Furthermore those new countries are considered PS territory and let's not pretend like the Xbox One is doing fine in the rest of Europe, because it's doing horrible at the moment.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/506x675q90/842/wf1j0.jpg

NightDragon83 said:
You'd think that in a nation with as many people as China and an emerging economy that craves technology, the official release of a major game console for pretty much the first time ever would be a huge deal there.

From what I understand, China had a fairly active gray market when it came to imported consoles and knock-offs, things like that, so assuming you had disposable income, it might not even have been that DIFFICULT to get your hands on a console in the region, along with games. It would be like legalizing marijuana; sure, big deal, but there are plenty of, um, recreational users who are just going to shrug and say; "No more sketchy dealers for me, I guess?"

It actually puts the 'Official' launches in an interesting position, because it's already been revealed that 1) The Chinese government will have essential veto rights when it comes to deciding what games can, or cannot, be sold in the region, and 2) all officially sold consoles (or at least Xbox Ones, though I would be MASSIVELY surprised if Sony doesn't have to do the same when the PS4 arrives,) will be region locked, along with all officially sold games, to reinforce the censorship. So no importing games from other countries.

Depending on how many games get censored or restricted in China, and by extension how severaly the library for the officially released consoles is reduced due to such bans, the gray market might still remain quite popular; basically people might choose to buy a Gray Market Console that plays ALL the games in the library, instead of the Official Console that only plays 60-70% of them. I say this, however, not knowing how the price of the Gray Market equivalent measures up to the officially released units, so hard to be certain. n.n;

Zanten, Doer Of The Things

Unless He Forgets In Which Case Zanten, Forgetter Of The Things

Or He Procrascinates, In Which Case Zanten, Doer Of The Things Later

Or It Involves Moving Furniture, in Which Case Zanten, F*** You.

LOL

Teeqoz said:
freedquaker said:
chocoloco said:

Teeqoz said:

Thanks! I just sound it Odd that Norway was considered a tier two country, since we have twice the GDP per capita compared to US, but then you pointed out it was just how important the market is.

I am willing to bet it is because the USA has a population well over 300 million while the population of Norway is 5.00 million and shrinking.

As a demographics note:

Norway's population is NOT shrinking. Although the fertility rate (1.78) is below the replacement ratio (2.05), we are still a generation behind and the immigration more than covers. In 2013, the population increased by 60K, about 18K of which is "natural" and the rest is "immigration".

As an economic note on Norway:

It is an OIL rich country, and naturally the average GDP will be much higher, but does it mean that people really enjoy a much better life in Norway than in Sweeden? Of course not! Even though consoles are not entirely tied to welfare, I still want to show the actual situation in Norway compared to US (as an economist in US)

USA MEDIAN GDP / cap after Health care & Military Expenses : $29 300
Norway MEDIAN gdp/cap after Health care & Military Expenses : $48 940

So basically the median Norwegian is 48940 / 29300 -1 = 67% wealthier than the median US citizen after due health and military expenditures.

The numbers are not 100% accurate but very close to the actual truth.

We don't have a lot of Health care expenses, well not directly anyway, it's covered by tax. As you say Norway is an oil rich nation, but we are far better at spreading the wealth across the entire population instead of a few people owning the majority of assets, so we can not be compared to other oil rich nations such as quatar were a few people own most of the assets. But my point still stands, an average Norwegian has more purchasing power (depending on what you are buying) than an average American.

Counting GDP/cap after health care does EXACTLY THAT. Whether or not you pay it yourself, somebody pays for it (usually the government through taxation), which is counted as a part of GDP. This GDP/cap is NOT your income, but rather the average amount of money in the economy, and about 1/3 of it (depending on the country) is never ever touched by the citizens (taxation, transfers, depreciation, investment etc).

Also there are two other factors... One is the price differential across countries... The figures I have given are in PPP (purchasing power parity terms), so that's normalized for all countries, with base being USA. Second is the income inequality, and this is exactly why I am using the MEDIAN income (the income of the Middle man, 50th percentile), which takes care of it.

Also counting OUT the health care and military expenses makes a lot of sense because HOW MUCH YOU SPEND on health care (although correlated) is irrelevant, but rather THE OUTCOME of those spendings is important. US spends 2.5x the OECD average getting WORSE results, so even if your country spends less, it still gets far better results, so counting the EXTRA MONEY IN US ECONOMY makes zero sense.

My expertise is in health care efficiency, so hopefully I was able to help.

Playstation 5 vs XBox Series Market Share Estimates

Regional Analysis  (only MS and Sony Consoles)
Europe     => XB1 : 23-24 % vs PS4 : 76-77%
N. America => XB1 :  49-52% vs PS4 : 48-51%
Global     => XB1 :  32-34% vs PS4 : 66-68%

Sales Estimations for 8th Generation Consoles

Next Gen Consoles Impressions and Estimates

Around the Network

I know you're an Xbot Toastboy but this is a little unreasonable. Those are smaller markets that are predominantly PlayStation gamers. While it will boost sales it will be nowhere near as big as you say. X1s are already available in a lot of those places anyway. Plus why would the PS4 baseline drop so much? Those small markets are not going to make that much of a difference in the long run. In the first few weeks there will more than likely be a significant increase but after that it will go back down to 10K-15K a week at the very most and that's being optimistic

Teeqoz said:
AZWification said:

I also realized that Ukraine is not a Tier 2 country either, despite being number 4 on that list!

But Norway is twice as large as a gaming market than Romania And Ukraine might have to do with certain..... Other things.

Yes, but Romania has a bigger gaming market than Slovakia, Greece, etc.. which are Tier 2 countries!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

shikamaru317 said:
Romania and Ukraine might actually be among the Tier 2 countries. After that initial list of 26 tier 2 countries was released in March I remember Microsoft said that Xbox One would be available in 42 markets after tier 2. There were 13 tier 1 markets and 26 tier 2 markets announced, that only adds up to 39/42, which may mean that there are 3 additional countries which Microsoft didn't announce back in March. Either that or the 42 number was a mistake.

Heh! I really hope that number wasn't a mistake! I mean, Sony released the PS4 officially in Romania, Ukraine, etc.. this February and it would be nice to see MS do the same thing with the X1 sonner or later!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Teeqoz said:
prinz_valium said:

to post the full list not only west and east europe

Okay, those lists did include the world rankings though. Albeit your list was more updated so Norway is now 26th :'-( but why did you quote me?

i just qoute all of u guys talking about it. but i had to delate the first porst, because of the qoutetree rule. nothing more, nothing less

I have a hard time believing it will pass the PS4 by that time. I was more confident of this once, right now not so much

...Let the Sony Domination continue with the PS4...