By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox One Tier 2 Countries Will Give the Console a Large Boost!

freedquaker said:
chocoloco said:

Teeqoz said:

Thanks! I just sound it Odd that Norway was considered a tier two country, since we have twice the GDP per capita compared to US, but then you pointed out it was just how important the market is.

I am willing to bet it is because the USA has a population well over 300 million while the population of Norway is 5.00 million and shrinking.

As a demographics note:

Norway's population is NOT shrinking. Although the fertility rate (1.78) is below the replacement ratio (2.05), we are still a generation behind and the immigration more than covers. In 2013, the population increased by 60K, about 18K of which is "natural" and the rest is "immigration".

As an economic note on Norway:

It is an OIL rich country, and naturally the average GDP will be much higher, but does it mean that people really enjoy a much better life in Norway than in Sweeden? Of course not! Even though consoles are not entirely tied to welfare, I still want to show the actual situation in Norway compared to US (as an economist in US)

USA MEDIAN GDP / cap after Health care & Military Expenses : $29 300
Norway MEDIAN gdp/cap after Health care & Military Expenses : $48 940

So basically the median Norwegian is 48940 / 29300 -1 = 67% wealthier than the median US citizen after due health and military expenditures.

The numbers are not 100% accurate but very close to the actual truth.

We don't have a lot of Health care expenses, well not directly anyway, it's covered by tax. As you say Norway is an oil rich nation, but we are far better at spreading the wealth across the entire population instead of a few people owning the majority of assets, so we can not be compared to other oil rich nations such as quatar were a few people own most of the assets. But my point still stands, an average Norwegian has more purchasing power (depending on what you are buying) than an average American.

Around the Network

You'd think that in a nation with as many people as China and an emerging economy that craves technology, the official release of a major game console for pretty much the first time ever would be a huge deal there.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

In a way, you can't count China, since ps4 didn't launch there yet, either.

It doesn't matter Sony will just go to tier3 and sell to Antartica.
There's a lot of penguins down there with out nothing to do all winter long , also it comes with the bonus of them making a sku with out any cooling , so not only is it cheaper they can also use it for heating.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

I agree with everything you said except that last bit with the PS4 and wiiU. PS4 will obviously go up YoY... not down and well wiiU will most likely stay in the 50k region for 2015.

Predictions for LT console sales:

PS4: 120M

XB1: 70M

WiiU: 14M

3DS: 60M

Vita: 13M

Around the Network
Teeqoz said:
AZWification said:

Wait, Romania ( which is not getting the X1) is above countries like Slovakia and Hungary which are getting the X1! That's BS! -__-

but hey, Norway is apparently the 25th largest video game market in the world. Not bad for a country with a population of 5 million. And I agree, that's BS.

http://www.newzoo.com/free/rankings/top-100-countries-by-game-revenues/

prinz_valium said:
Teeqoz said:
AZWification said:

Wait, Romania ( which is not getting the X1) is above countries like Slovakia and Hungary which are getting the X1! That's BS! -__-

but hey, Norway is apparently the 25th largest video game market in the world. Not bad for a country with a population of 5 million. And I agree, that's BS.

What was your point?

Teeqoz said:
prinz_valium said:
Teeqoz said:
AZWification said:

What was your point?

to post the full list not only west and east europe

Dude, do you know why they're TIER 2 country ?

Because they only represent 10% max of the market, nothing more. Why do you think Ms waited so long to launch the one, while the ps4 was already here since a long time ?

Because they're not important market, that's why.

The on will got a boost for the first week, then it will sink and we will got the same numbers as now + 5k.

prinz_valium said:
Teeqoz said:
prinz_valium said:

What was your point?

to post the full list not only west and east europe

Okay, those lists did include the world rankings though. Albeit your list was more updated so Norway is now 26th :'-( but why did you quote me?