By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Valve Games Coming To Xbox One, May Use Dedicated Servers ( Rumor )

Take this with a massive grain of salt but game enthusiasts have uncovered interesting findings.

Yesterday a group of game enthusiasts uncovered that Dota 2 Workshop Tools is actually a soft launch for Source Engine 2. A Reddit user did a great job of delving deeper into the Workshop Tools’ and found out some interesting points that indicate presence of Source 2 files. But that is not all.

On further investigation, it was revealed that the engine might be coming to Xbox One. As revealed by a NeoGaf user, the files had references to Xbox dashboard and dedicated servers. The code below the post states the following: “(Only used when hosting xbox games). Send clients updates at the same time. This saves CPU because the server will encode and calc deltas on less frames,” and “Dedicated Server for Xbox. Not using STEAM.”

On further investigation of the comments, we see statements for APIs that are being used to test connectivity between Xbox One and Steam. Debug messages such as this, “Failed to connect to xboxsystem,” are a clear giveaway.

It is important to note that all of this information should be taken with a massive grain of salt but what we can assume is that there might be an application under works that might allow users to stream Steam games to Xbox One or it might simply mean Dota 2 is coming to the console.

What are your thoughts on this? Let us know in the comments section below.

“xbox_dashboard_music”
{
“data_type” “float”
“value” “1.0″
}

(Only used when hosting xbox games). Send clients updates at the same time. This saves CPU because the server will encode and calc deltas on less frames

Dedicated Server for Xbox. Not using STEAM.

XboxSystemInterface001

CXboxSystem::EnumerateAchievements
c:buildslavesource2_dota_rel_win64buildsrcengine2xboxsystem.cpp

gameui_xbox

ERROR: CSource2Server::Connect – Failed to connect to xboxsystem

XboxDialogs.res / resource/UI/XboxDialogs.res

game/dota_imported/resource/ui/xboxdialogs.res@2166751

Could it be true?

Around the Network

Just read this myself, this could truly be a huge thing if it were console exclusive.

It is near the end of the end....

I can see this happening microsoft has a better relationship with valve than sony

Bets:

(Won)Bet with TechoHobbit: He(Techno) says 10 million by January 1,2014 I say 9 million by then. Winner gets 2 weeks of sig control.

(Lost)Bet with kinisking: I say Ps4 will win April NPD while he says Xbox One will win it; winner gets 1 week of avatar control.

Raichu's First Series:

First RPG?

First Fighter?

First Racer?

First Shooter?

First MMO?

First Horror?

Official Ni No Kuni Fanboy:

Familiars Captured:37

Game Beaten: 2 times almost

Times I got teary during some scenes: 3

This could be pretty damn good if true! Controlling Dota with a Xbox controller could be a bit awkward though! :S

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Microsoft seems to have some great potential exclusives. I kinda doubt Valve will make them exclusive on XOne though!

Around the Network
OfficerRaichu15 said:
I can see this happening microsoft has a better relationship with valve than sony

Used to, not anymore.

pretty fucking huge

If true, HUGE. But I doubt it. Why would Valve put their games on X1? They've got STEAM, right?

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Dota 2 on consoles? Blech! That won't go well at all.

1: using a keyboard would have to be a requirement as controllers wouldn't work at all.
2: And possibly more importantly, the Dota 2 community is bad enough. At least the public games are. Whether it's people being immature, screaming at everyone else, or quitting a game mid game (which is kinda a big deal in dota) it's a rough place to be at times. Having it on consoles would make it even worse from what it is now.

However, games that aren't Dota 2 coming to consoles would be cool if done correctly.

I know Phil Spencer said that their will be a huge focus on stratagy games this gen.