By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Weekly XB1 overtaking Wii U thread: WIll it happen this year?

Who will be on top when January 1, 2015 arrives?

Wii U 810 89.40%

Xbox One 93 10.26%

Total:903

I'm slightly confused by the weekly in the title. Do you mean, that X1 will win a week against WiiU? I'm sure that will happen a lot. Who will win the week with January 1st, 2015? I have no idea. But if you mean LTD, then I say WiiU is still on top. The big is too big, the sales for X1 too low and currently they both sell about the same, so the gap doesn't change.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network

RIGHT NOW according to Vgchartz:

Wii U: 6 900 000

xb1: 5 000 000

diff: 1 900 000

Now, assuming the xb1 sold 150 000 units on average from now until December 31st (I think this is giving it too much credit) it would sell 3 225 000 units.

If the Wii U had no holiday boost and kept selling 61 000 it would sell 1 311 500

Total on Dec 31st:

Wii U: 8 211 500

xb1: 8 225 000

That unlikely scenario would give a very slight edge to the xb1, but I expect the Wii U to do better than this and I would be surprised if the xb1 did as well as I predicted. It's even possible for the Wii U to keep selling more than the xb1 on a weekly basis, not that I care much, if these were the only two consoles on the marked right now I would probably just be playing on PC.

benji232 said:
BHR-3 said:
i believe it will overtake it this year WW total i would say sometime during late Nov-Dec, Xb1 will have some big WW weeks when BF hits aswell as when COD AW halo gta5 and destiny release

i will be shocked if XB1 doesnt overtake it this year

I'm just curious, how much exactly  are you expecting both systems to sell in November and December? You are aware that the holiday season is usually where Nintendo excells most right? Last year, wiiU sold 1.6M units in November and December and it had a baseline of 25k all year long with only the release of 3D world. This year, they have  baseline of 60k (more then the double of last year) and they're going to have their 2 biggest franchises out on the market.  

I'd like to also remind you that the gap between both systems is currently 2m and is getting bigger every week as wiiU is outselling the xbox one.

Xb1

Aug-Oct 1.5-2M

Nov-Dec 4M-5M

5.5-7M

Wiiu

Aug-Oct 1.2-1.5M

Nov-Dec 2.5-3.5M

3.7-5M

Umm... you maybe right after all

Play Me

BHR-3 said:
benji232 said:
BHR-3 said:
i believe it will overtake it this year WW total i would say sometime during late Nov-Dec, Xb1 will have some big WW weeks when BF hits aswell as when COD AW halo gta5 and destiny release

i will be shocked if XB1 doesnt overtake it this year

I'm just curious, how much exactly  are you expecting both systems to sell in November and December? You are aware that the holiday season is usually where Nintendo excells most right? Last year, wiiU sold 1.6M units in November and December and it had a baseline of 25k all year long with only the release of 3D world. This year, they have  baseline of 60k (more then the double of last year) and they're going to have their 2 biggest franchises out on the market.  

I'd like to also remind you that the gap between both systems is currently 2m and is getting bigger every week as wiiU is outselling the xbox one.

Xb1

Aug-Oct 1.5-2M

Nov-Dec 4M-5M

5.5-7M

Wiiu

Aug-Oct 1.2-1.5M

Nov-Dec 2.5-3.5M

3.7-5M

I wonder what makes you think that the xb1 will somehow double its install base in less thant 5 months, when it has been on the market for 9 months, and in those 9 months there was the launch that brought them all the way to 3 million from the start, this is a lot to put in MCC's/Forza:H's shoulders!

I don't think this is unthinkable, Ijust don't think there is enough actual momentum behind this console to do it.

Of course it will, can you really see XB1 selling as poorly in the holiday like WiiU has done previously?

Even PS4 hasn't been doing amazing numbers lately, but come holidays both consoles will appeal to a huge audience, something WiiU cannot do.

Around the Network
alabtrosMyster said:
BHR-3 said:

Xb1

Aug-Oct 1.5-2M

Nov-Dec 4M-5M

5.5-7M

Wiiu

Aug-Oct 1.2-1.5M

Nov-Dec 2.5-3.5M

3.7-5M

I wonder what makes you think that the xb1 will somehow double its install base in less thant 5 months, when it has been on the market for 9 months, and in those 9 months there was the launch that brought them all the way to 3 million from the start, this is a lot to put in MCC's/Forza:H's shoulders!

I don't think this is unthinkable, Ijust don't think there is enough actual momentum behind this console to do it.

im putting alot of stock in 3rd partys gta 5 COD AW and destitny as well as MS doing there usual holiday bundle deals 2 free games with the console

Play Me

BHR-3 said:
alabtrosMyster said:
BHR-3 said:

Xb1

Aug-Oct 1.5-2M

Nov-Dec 4M-5M

5.5-7M

Wiiu

Aug-Oct 1.2-1.5M

Nov-Dec 2.5-3.5M

3.7-5M

im putting alot of stock in 3rd partys gta 5 COD AW and destitny as well as MS doing there usual holiday bundle deals 2 free games with the console

Those third pary games will shift PS4s,  noy X1s so I wouldn't rely too much on them. I don't see the X1 edging out the Wii U this year, which is just sad. To think, it's come to this.

i will say in september once destiny and other third party games start to hit the xb1.

septemebr is unlikely(if it keeps outselling it in august then it would have to do over 300k every week to catch up) ill go with may of 2015 :P

Bets:

(Won)Bet with TechoHobbit: He(Techno) says 10 million by January 1,2014 I say 9 million by then. Winner gets 2 weeks of sig control.

(Lost)Bet with kinisking: I say Ps4 will win April NPD while he says Xbox One will win it; winner gets 1 week of avatar control.

Raichu's First Series:

First RPG?

First Fighter?

First Racer?

First Shooter?

First MMO?

First Horror?

Official Ni No Kuni Fanboy:

Familiars Captured:37

Game Beaten: 2 times almost

Times I got teary during some scenes: 3

I can't see it happening this year. The Wii U would have to do horrible this holiday season, and I don't think that will be the case. The XBone might make some gains this year against the U, but overtake it? Nope.