By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Weekly XB1 overtaking Wii U thread: WIll it happen this year?

Who will be on top when January 1, 2015 arrives?

Wii U 810 89.40%

Xbox One 93 10.26%

Total:903

the xbox one will pass it early to mid 2015, but I don't think it's gonna happen this year.

Around the Network
OfficerRaichu15 said:
Seece said:

Well depending on which country we're talking about, (say US) 60% will chose PS4, 40% XB1 for instance. You don't get a large portion of consumers that give a shit about where it looks best, majority don't have a clue and will buy consoles based on price and where their friends are/what they've heard.

Now they're both on par price wise, yes multiplats can easily sell XB1's. And have done since it released.

most of those were launch titles so they would sell well regardless 

watch dogs was the true first big 3rd party game and that only gave a 10k boost that lasted for a week(and sales went down very quickly)

Watchdogs released during a period people knew a cheaper Xbox was coming ....

wary-wallaroo said:
Seece said:
COD sold 1.9m on XB1, ACIV 840k, Battlefield 1.4m, Watchdogs 1m.

Yes PS4 multiplats sell much better, that doesn't mean multiplats don't sell XB1's. They clearly do.

They did back during launch, when people were not the wiser. This holidays will be different as:

1. People now know the PS4 is all around better

2. By the time multiplat season comes around, the NA gap may be as big as 1 million. That means 1 million people extra trying to get their friends on board.

I wouldn't say it was a "none the wiser" situation but more of a predetermined purchase situation.  For example having been a PS3 guy last gen, I naturally gravitated towards the PS4.  I think a lot of your initial XB1 pickups were the 360 loyalists doing the same thing.  Now that the more "hardcore" audience has made their selections we are getting to more casual gamer purchasing being the norm.  With that, I do agree with your two points.  People will be more inclined to pick up the PS4 and the PS4 version of the games, which will be taking XB1 purchases down a notch or two, even during large-scale 3rd party releases.

Seece said:
OfficerRaichu15 said:
Seece said:

Well depending on which country we're talking about, (say US) 60% will chose PS4, 40% XB1 for instance. You don't get a large portion of consumers that give a shit about where it looks best, majority don't have a clue and will buy consoles based on price and where their friends are/what they've heard.

Now they're both on par price wise, yes multiplats can easily sell XB1's. And have done since it released.

watch dogs was the true first big 3rd party game and that only gave a 10k boost that lasted for a week(and sales went down very quickly)

ok fine you got a point but if i dont see xbox one over 100k with destiny then my point stands

Bets:

(Won)Bet with TechoHobbit: He(Techno) says 10 million by January 1,2014 I say 9 million by then. Winner gets 2 weeks of sig control.

(Lost)Bet with kinisking: I say Ps4 will win April NPD while he says Xbox One will win it; winner gets 1 week of avatar control.

Raichu's First Series:

First RPG?

First Fighter?

First Racer?

First Shooter?

First MMO?

First Horror?

Official Ni No Kuni Fanboy:

Familiars Captured:37

Game Beaten: 2 times almost

Times I got teary during some scenes: 3

OfficerRaichu15 said:
Seece said:

ok fine you got a point but if i dont see xbox one over 100k with destiny then my point stands

Well, XB1 is releasing in 40+ countries throughout September so you're going to see a bump regardless. But you will see a bump in Europe/US, it just won't be anywhere near as good as PS4 because Destiny is closely associated with/marketed with PS4. Another reason Watchdogs caused a good bump for PS4 but not so much XB1.

Around the Network
OfficerRaichu15 said:

The other issue with both Destiny and Watchdogs is that they both have marketing exclusivity with PS4.  That can certainly cause the impact of both of those releases to have a less than would be typical pick up rate for the XB1.

benji232 said:
BHR-3 said:
i believe it will overtake it this year WW total i would say sometime during late Nov-Dec, Xb1 will have some big WW weeks when BF hits aswell as when COD AW halo gta5 and destiny release

i will be shocked if XB1 doesnt overtake it this year

I'm just curious, how much exactly  are you expecting both systems to sell in November and December? You are aware that the holiday season is usually where Nintendo excells most right? Last year, wiiU sold 1.6M units in November and December and it had a baseline of 25k all year long with only the release of 3D world. This year, they have  baseline of 60k (more then the double of last year) and they're going to have their 2 biggest franchises out on the market.  

I'd like to also remind you that the gap between both systems is currently 2m and is getting bigger every week as wiiU is outselling the xbox one.

Yep. Wii U with out a question be on top by the end of 2014. Hyrule Warriors will increase the baseline to 65k-70k and Bayonetta 2 will be a slight boost right when holidays come in. Super Smash Bros release is most likely mid-late November. and Sonic Boom and Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker in that time. at least for North America in the same time as smash bros..... I wouldn't be surprised if smash bros launch week is above 500k for Wii U. XB1 has multiplats that will sell better on PS4 and Sunset Override will probably not perform as well as people are expecting and Halo will be the only thing that will really sell many consoles. I don't expect XB1 to ever pass Wii U. If it does it will be 2016 or after. 2015 is also packed will Splatoon, Kirby, Yoshi, Xenoblade Chronicles X, and FUCKING ZELDA. That's why I don't think XB1 will pass Wii U in 2015 at least.

I can't really take anyone seriously that says Captain Toad and Bayonetta are going to raise the baseline of WiiU.

Seece said:
OfficerRaichu15 said:
Seece said:

Yea and after the cheaper Xbox came sales dropped weekly and still are to this day.

gcube2000 said:
Seece said:

Yea and after the cheaper Xbox came sales dropped weekly and still are to this day.

We've not seen sales for July yet, all we know is it did around 200k in June in US.

But it's a very dry period for XB1 (and will continue until Madden later this month) whereas WiiU just got a huge game and it's just on par with XB1. What does that tell you?

What do you think sales would look like if WiiU didn't get any big game and XB1 just got Halo? XB1 would be outselling it X4.