By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Iraq: Hell has broken out here and nobody cares

Overly-zealous, repressive religious regimes are bad in general, not any specific religion per se.

Western Christainity has just been "detoothed" as it were over the last 200 years, but hyper conservative Islam still dominates the Middle East and I do think it is a big part of the problem.

Around the Network
bigjon said:
Serious_frusting said:
Religion is the scourge of the earth.

90% of the time it causes suffering. It might sound bad but if people stopped preying for each other as much and actually helped all of these countries would not be in such a mess. Also these countries need to help themselves instead of screaming for help from more powerful nations then screaming bullies afterwards.

stupid statement. Taking Islam and Medieval Catholism out of the equation the religions that are still followed today are good, they may impress morals on people you dont agree with, but that is about the worst thing you can says.

Most of the most murderious dictators of the past 200 years have been part of aethist governments (absense of divine law leaves men to create there own morals, that is where you get your Hitlers, Stalins, Maos, etc)

Or perhaps Hitler/Stalin/Mao were really in effect fascists? 

Modern Europe is pretty much the most aethist region in the world today and is very peaceful, no one is running around killing millions of people. 

In fact I would say that Europe is more peaceful now than at any point in the last 500 years or so, and is also happens to be at time where its at its least religious. 

Soundwave said:
Overly-zealous, repressive religious regimes are bad in general, not any specific religion per se.

Western Christainity has just been "detoothed" as it were over the last 200 years, but hyper conservative Islam still dominates the Middle East and I do think it is a big part of the problem.

Yup and you know what they say too much of something is always bad, even more so when it comes to ideology. I mean just look at the hate in this thread alone and people still don't see the big picture.

edit: I believe Hitler was the only facist. The other 2 is definitely communist.

Also just another point of view. China is a communist country a large portion of the population is atheist but they are in an aggressive expansion to claim territories from their neighboring nations. So I doubt being less religious makes for less crimes or war. Its more like having a more mature society and well balanced economy that actually helps in most cases.

tiffac said:
Soundwave said:

Yup and you know what they say too much of something is always bad, even more so when it comes to ideology. I mean just look at the hate in this thread alone and people still don't see the big picture.

edit: I believe Hitler was the only facist. The other 2 is definitely communist.

Mao and Stalin effectively were fascists too. 

Soundwave said:
bigjon said:
Serious_frusting said:

90% of the time it causes suffering. It might sound bad but if people stopped preying for each other as much and actually helped all of these countries would not be in such a mess. Also these countries need to help themselves instead of screaming for help from more powerful nations then screaming bullies afterwards.

stupid statement. Taking Islam and Medieval Catholism out of the equation the religions that are still followed today are good, they may impress morals on people you dont agree with, but that is about the worst thing you can says.

Most of the most murderious dictators of the past 200 years have been part of aethist governments (absense of divine law leaves men to create there own morals, that is where you get your Hitlers, Stalins, Maos, etc)

Modern Europe is pretty much the most aethist region in the world today and is very peaceful, no one is running around killing millions of people. 

In fact I would say that Europe is more peaceful now than at any point in the last 500 years or so, and is also happens to be at time where its at its least religious. 

here is an interesting research for you- look at all the mass shooters in the US from Columbine to that wack jon that shot up UCLA and see what religion they claim to be a part of, I think you will find the same thing I did not religion, no moral authority in their eyes higher than what they see as right.

Hitler fascist, yes.... LOLOLOLOLOLOL Mao and Stalin(Communist), I really am rolling here..... you do realize that Communist and Fascist are literally THE OPPOSITE end of the spectrum.... In fact one of the ONLY things they had in common was an Aethistic State.....  statements like that make me understand your original post better... (ie you have no clue)

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
tiffac said:
Soundwave said:

Mao and Stalin effectively were fascists too. 

Really? I may need a history lesson then. Please share the reason things like this interest me a lot because I swear history had then as communist.

Edit: ain't facism and communism different didn't they like hated each other during the World Wars?

bigjon said:
Soundwave said:
bigjon said:
Serious_frusting said:

here is an interesting research for you- look at all the mass shooters in the US from Columbine to that wack jon that shot up UCLA and see what religion they claim to be a part of, I think you will find the same thing I did not religion, no moral authority in their eyes higher than what they see as right.

Hitler fascist, yes.... LOLOLOLOLOLOL Mao and Stalin(Communist), I really am rolling here..... you do realize that Communist and Fascist are literally THE OPPOSITE end of the spectrum.... In fact one of the ONLY things they had in common was an Aethistic State.....  statements like that make me understand your original post better... (ie you have no clue)

There are also serial killers like Charles Manson who quote the Bible who are uber religious and nuts like David Koresh. 

When you create an extreme authoritorian society, effectively the economic system you employ (left/right whatever) is kind of moot. It basically is all facism. Extreme idelogy on the extreme left and the extreme right often has more in common with each other than not. 

Personally I don't buy the "humans can't have morals without religion!", we've had "morals" long before religion was invented. We wouldn't have survived as a species without the ability to co-exist with relative harmony with each other. Look at us, we are mediocre physically compared to other animals, without the ability to work together for common gain, humans would've been wiped off the planet by other predators that are bigger/stronger/faster than us. 

Just to get food to eat and survive we had to no doubt hunt together in packs, ergo there would tremendous societial (well more like tribal at this point) pressure to assimilate and "play nice" with others as it were. If you were a nut case or someone who was sadistic you likely were kicked out of the tribe and left on your own, you'd probably be lunch for some other animal in fairly short order. 

It's a simply more desirable state for a human being to be in when they live in harmony with their fellow man/woman, we are biologically hardwired for it, people who don't have the ability to feel remorse for example are labelled psychopaths not as an insult but as real term to describe an abnormality. 

If only the UN had some actual power and could go in and stamp IS out.

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

This is one way to beat ISIS:

"The military events of both World Wars have proved anew that the capitalistic countries are paramount also in armaments production... Where capitalistic entrepreneurship is allowed to function freely, the fighting forces will always be so well equipped that the biggest armies of the backward peoples will be no match for them. There has even been great exaggeration of the danger of making the formulas for manufacturing “secret” weapons universally known. If war comes again, the searching mind of the capitalistic world will always have a head start on the peoples who merely copy and imitate clumsily.

The peoples who have developed the system of the market economy and cling to it are in every respect superior to all other peoples. The fact that they are eager to preserve peace is not a mark of their weakness and inability to
wage war. They love peace because they know that armed conflicts are pernicious and disintegrate the social division of labor. But if war becomes unavoidable, they show their superior efficiency in military affairs too. They
repel the barbarian aggressors whatever their numbers may be." - Ludwig von Mises, Human Action

I think it's all part the plan sadly. Now that Israel has diminished the thread of Hamas they will now prepare to defend or move on Syria/Iraq when the time is there. That's probably what the U.S. is counting on anyway.

It's sickening how many people have to suffer for the ambitions of a few.