Yea or Nay?

Yea 17 70.83%

Nay 2 8.33%

Maybea 4 16.67%

Total:23
PullusPardus said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
PullusPardus said:

Good, I was explaining it vaguely to understand what your background about it.

I dislike space aliens as well, they are always one dimensional in stories, and always have some strange technology that no one understands even when humans and aliens lived centuries its like "nah, i don't want to understand you guys, just be aliens somewhere else" 

Exactly.

"This is because, there are multiple isolated space colonies expand outwards from the Solar System in all directions, with hundreds of generations of human beings, to keep species from diversifying across the colonies, the nanomachines keep everyone similar. Not to mention if the AI determines that the colony can't produce enough food to support the people, it will manually decrease the birth rate in multiple ways from reducing or eliminating fertility to decreasing libido, although I haven't decided whether or not all babies will be born in vitro or in vivo."

that's interesting , I would like to play your game once its finished so I'd explore this idea, its exactly the opposite of mine, your idea of singular universal culture governed by AI to be specific, it sounds pretty morbid if you ask me, you're going for an Utopia? 

Each colony is identical and isolated. The importance of consitency is that each colony should be able to intermesh with the other seamlessy. As opposed to two different countries merging together,...actually I can't think of a real world example of the later. They are kept consitent to prevent culture clash should the colonies reunite.

What caused "In natura" birth to be out of the question though? or is it spoilers? 

There are issues with pregnancy and childbirth, mainly that for 9 months a woman's body is focused on having a baby. The Nanomachines in the Mother's body could make sure the child is safe, but considering how every being in the colonies are moreorless integral to its functioning, and the AI regulates birth, then In Vitro is a lot more easy to work with then In Vivo

I try to avoid Dystopia and Utopia elements in the story as much as possible, more neutrual about it, every colony has it's own political stance and laws similar to today's nations but abit more fun to write about : )

Its not really a utopia, especially as those who disconnect from the network are essentially lawless, but the whole thing is tightly regulated by necessity. The colonies exist to transport humanity to a new home, its essentially establishing a more diverse galatic community. K guess it could seem morbid in comparison to freer societies, but seeing as how so many generations have lived on the colonies, they don't really know anything else. 

ALso, the AI is silent in that in that its not like God determing peoples fates but rather like Task Manger in the background making everything run smoothly, this is of course assuming the AI is working correctly ;)

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Around the Network

If you want to use internal nanomachines then you'll need to make sure they have a significant biological component to overcome the immune response (or effectively make the immune system assume they're naturally meant to be there).

Also, I wouldn't have the AI tightly controlling the genetic pool to reduce diversity. This simply increases the likelihood of disease spreading and affecting the majority of the population and potentially across multiple colonies. Whilst the AI can regulate the nanomachines and enhance the attributes needed for space survival, I don't think scientists would find limiting genetic diversity to be a particularly good idea in the mid to long-term.

Scoobes said:
If you want to use internal nanomachines then you'll need to make sure they have a significant biological component to overcome the immune response (or effectively make the immune system assume they're naturally meant to be there).

Basically What i said and still a good point. I think a lot of "fun" could be had with an indepth upgrade system as they work out the kinks in the nanomachine system. Also I don't know if he was talking about genetic diversity too much, just cultural diversity. I agree with your point completely tho Diversity is important 

http://www.youtube.com/v/AoOOpLpcF28 http://www.youtube.com/v/CphFZGH5030

All Hail the Jester King. The King is back, and I am still a dirty girl prof ;)

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
PullusPardus said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
PullusPardus said:

Good, I was explaining it vaguely to understand what your background about it.

I dislike space aliens as well, they are always one dimensional in stories, and always have some strange technology that no one understands even when humans and aliens lived centuries its like "nah, i don't want to understand you guys, just be aliens somewhere else" 

Exactly.

"This is because, there are multiple isolated space colonies expand outwards from the Solar System in all directions, with hundreds of generations of human beings, to keep species from diversifying across the colonies, the nanomachines keep everyone similar. Not to mention if the AI determines that the colony can't produce enough food to support the people, it will manually decrease the birth rate in multiple ways from reducing or eliminating fertility to decreasing libido, although I haven't decided whether or not all babies will be born in vitro or in vivo."

that's interesting , I would like to play your game once its finished so I'd explore this idea, its exactly the opposite of mine, your idea of singular universal culture governed by AI to be specific, it sounds pretty morbid if you ask me, you're going for an Utopia? 

Each colony is identical and isolated. The importance of consitency is that each colony should be able to intermesh with the other seamlessy. As opposed to two different countries merging together,...actually I can't think of a real world example of the later. They are kept consitent to prevent culture clash should the colonies reunite.

What caused "In natura" birth to be out of the question though? or is it spoilers? 

There are issues with pregnancy and childbirth, mainly that for 9 months a woman's body is focused on having a baby. The Nanomachines in the Mother's body could make sure the child is safe, but considering how every being in the colonies are moreorless integral to its functioning, and the AI regulates birth, then In Vitro is a lot more easy to work with then In Vivo

I try to avoid Dystopia and Utopia elements in the story as much as possible, more neutrual about it, every colony has it's own political stance and laws similar to today's nations but abit more fun to write about : )

Its not really a utopia, especially as those who disconnect from the network are essentially lawless, but the whole thing is tightly regulated by necessity. The colonies exist to transport humanity to a new home, its essentially establishing a more diverse galatic community. K guess it could seem morbid in comparison to freer societies, but seeing as how so many generations have lived on the colonies, they don't really know anything else. 

ALso, the AI is silent in that in that its not like God determing peoples fates but rather like Task Manger in the background making everything run smoothly, this is of course assuming the AI is working correctly ;)

Interesting!  =D 

My story compared yours is like this 

Colonies are self governed and self contained (like nations today), they have organizations such as "UC" (United Colonies) that debates political arguments and what not. 

The story stars whne Humans are already settled for thousands of years in ever expandable colonies keep in mind colonies don't always mean space stations they include privately/government owned planets (yeah rich folks can own a planet for their own) 

Lawless or outlaw people are normally evicted by the colonies and become "Drifters" , Elyzium is home for the homeless, that was established years after the colonies existed as a revolt against the strict laws of the colonies, in this "Boundless" colony there exists organizations such as Scientists Beyond Boundaries (think more radical Scientists without borders) , Mercenaries Beyond Boundaries (Elyzian Fields is one of them) ...ect, the colony's political stance is "Technocracy"

What is your story's religions ?

Scoobes said:

Also, I wouldn't have the AI tightly controlling the genetic pool to reduce diversity. This simply increases the likelihood of disease spreading and affecting the majority of the population and potentially across multiple colonies. Whilst the AI can regulate the nanomachines and enhance the attributes needed for space survival, I don't think scientists would find limiting genetic diversity to be a particularly good idea in the mid to long-term.

Naturally, yes diversity is important. But in this case it is really not, because these colonies are seperated by upwards of thousands of years. If diversity was allowed to occur then when these colonies meet up again they will likely be different species entirely. In fact, diversity is important in the natural world because of a constantly changing environment. The environmnet inside these colonies will not only be stable but identical with every other colony.

In this case, I don't think diversity would be beneficial and possibly even harmful.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Around the Network
PullusPardus said:

My story compared yours is like this 

Colonies are self governed and self contained (like nations today), they have organizations such as "UC" (United Colonies) that debates political arguments and what not. 

The story stars whne Humans are already settled for thousands of years in ever expandable colonies keep in mind colonies don't always mean space stations they include privately/government owned planets (yeah rich folks can own a planet for their own) 

Lawless or outlaw people are normally evicted by the colonies and become "Drifters" , Elyzium is home for the homeless, that was established years after the colonies existed as a revolt against the strict laws of the colonies, in this "Boundless" colony there exists organizations such as Scientists Beyond Boundaries (think more radical Scientists without borders) , Mercenaries Beyond Boundaries (Elyzian Fields is one of them) ...ect, the colony's political stance is "Technocracy"

What is your story's religions ?

Well each Colony is self contained and identical.

The most ideal way to describe each colony would be an Autonomous Cybercracy, secrelty moderated by an impartial AI. For example, the planned main character is a peace keeper who hunts down those who disconnect from the network as these are also the ones responsible for wreaking the most havoc and cuasing strain on the ship. The reason she does this, is because All peacekeeprs in the organization do this, and the peacekeepers before them did it as well. Religions did occur earlier as humans had freshly migrated to Earth but it faded out as the generations went on. It might make a resurgence if the colonies are reunited.

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
Scoobes said:

Naturally, yes diversity is important. But in this case it is really not, because these colonies are seperated by upwards of thousands of years. If diversity was allowed to occur then when these colonies meet up again they will likely be different species entirely. In fact, diversity is important in the natural world because of a constantly changing environment. The environmnet inside these colonies will not only be stable but identical with every other colony.

In this case, I don't think diversity would be beneficial and possibly even harmful.

Well, speciation would take longer than thousands of years. Maybe hundreds of thousands of years, but even then, if the environment of each colony is tightly controlled and identical, the selection pressures will also be the same effectively reducing the chances of speciation. The need for diversity in such a setting is more as a plan B in case a virus mutates within the environment and infects and kills the majority of the population due to a lack of diversity. Or if something from the external environment contaminates the colony.

The more I read the more I am reminded of the Borg from star trek. Now don't get me wrong I'm not saying it's exactly the same, Clearly it's not but star trek had some great ideas for them and some of those ideas are here in one way or another. Which is why i think you have a great idea on your hands and I am definitely intrigued by it. I would suggest testing out the concept in table top like a game like D&D just to see how other gamers adapt to it.

http://www.youtube.com/v/AoOOpLpcF28 http://www.youtube.com/v/CphFZGH5030

All Hail the Jester King. The King is back, and I am still a dirty girl prof ;)

Scoobes said:

Well, speciation would take longer than thousands of years. Maybe hundreds of thousands of years, but even then, if the environment of each colony is tightly controlled and identical, the selection pressures will also be the same effectively reducing the chances of speciation. The need for diversity in such a setting is more as a plan B in case a virus mutates within the environment and infects and kills the majority of the population due to a lack of diversity. Or if something from the external environment contaminates the colony.

Good point, I hadn't considered that. Although, I don't know if specicition would even take thousands of years in some cases unregulated, because Allopatric speciation, speciation by geographic isolation, has occured in within a couple of generations, mainly this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allopatric_speciation#Genesis_of_reproductive_barriers.

And increased radiation could easily lead to a lot more mutations.

But even if Diversity should be preseved, its hard to explain how diversity can be both encouraged while simultaneously maintaining the sturucter of genetic code, when the nanomachines prevent the very thing, mutations, that the process of diversifying consists of.

I also assumed that the nanomachines would also act as a buffered immune system eliminating any kind of pathogens, if the environment wasn't completely sterile in the first place.

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:

Well each Colony is self contained and identical.

The most ideal way to describe each colony would be an Autonomous Cybercracy, secrelty moderated by an impartial AI. For example, the planned main character is a peace keeper who hunts down those who disconnect from the network as these are also the ones responsible for wreaking the most havoc and cuasing strain on the ship. The reason she does this, is because All peacekeeprs in the organization do this, and the peacekeepers before them did it as well. Religions did occur earlier as humans had freshly migrated to Earth but it faded out as the generations went on. It might make a resurgence if the colonies are reunited.

My story focuses on different characters from different points of view there is no "bad" people as I want to make them all get reasons of what they do, in fact all the characters do questionable acts such as Marianne who is a rich and tries to build a monopoly on a certain industry, she does it through legal and illegal acts, I don't really like writing about characters that are "perfect" sometimes they are pretty prentious too lol , I find a lot of books the main character is that handsome guy/hot girl that only says the things that are cool as hell and never does mistakes and when they do mistakes they always try to redeem them to "live happily ever after", I find having multiple layers of good and bad is how I like the characters, one of the guys in that chapter I posted steal organs and sell them to doctors, a scavenger.