By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - VGC Pokémon tourney - X/Y or OR/AS?

Do you want to participate in a Pokémon tournament?

YES! NOW! 2 40.00%

Only after OR/AS are released 0 0%

I killed my pokémon, so not right now 0 0%

See results 3 60.00%

Total:5
mZuzek said:
burninmylight said:

Yeah, I'd expect interest to pick up more in a month after the Smash honeymoon period calms down a bit and OR/AS hype is in full force. I had just began playing Y back in August when this thread went into hibernation, so I wasn't ready for any sort of competition. But one thing I'd like to say is that if we ever do get a tournament going, please do not follow Smogon's rules to a T. Most of it's rules make sense, like tier placement and banning of certain megas and abilities, but I think the complete banning of specific strategies like sleep and evasion outright kills some playstyles.

Like, instead of banning sleep completely, make it like Pokemon Stadium where a player can't put to sleep more than one opponent at a time. And with evasion, maybe make a "no accuracy moves + Mean Look/Arena Trap" clause. It does get incredibly annoying if someone stalls out to build up a ton of evasion/bad accuracy and you have no way to switch or force one. But so long as you leave a player the capability of switching/forcing a switch, it gives him or her the option to use accuracy moves or Roar/Whirlwind to counter the strategy.

Hm, I'll think about it.

About sleep, I never planned on banning that, it's totally part of the game. Evasion, on the other hand, I consider BS, but I might give it a second chance. Don't worry about Smogon rules, though - while I take some things from what they do, I hate their community overall. I highly disagree with all the banning crap that they do.

I never found Blaziken, Mega Lucario, Aegislash, Mega Gengar or even Mega Kangaskhan to be game breaking when playing matches online. If you know what you're doing, you always have a chance - they're powerful pokémon for sure, but there's always ways in which you can defeat them. Smogon just goes like "oh, my shiny 6IV perfect nature Heatran just lost to this stupid peasant non-shiny not hacked Blaziken, so we have to ban this thing".

Umm.. there, rant over.

Well... Like I said, I do agree with many of Smogon's bans. Megakhan is ridiculously haxed, Gengar absolutely did not need a Mega, and I don't particularly care for Megawile either (Play Rough + Sheer Force). I also understand the point of grouping Pokes into tiers in order to ensure every one of them has a place in competition. I just don't like the idea of shutting down entire playstyles to further push them into limited roles and tiers, especially when someone has to rely on an certain playstyle to make underpowered or low-tier Pokemone viable against upper-tiers.

Around the Network

So what? We wait until OR/AS for the next tourney? Your revenge?

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

I wish I could, my new wifi likes to DC all the time during trades/battles. : /

NNID: crazy_man

3DS FC: 3969 4633 0700 

My Pokemon Trading Shop (Hidden Power Breeding)