By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why all the Gamestop hate?

I understand the hate, but I also understand why we need them. They are what I like to call the double edged sword of the gaming industry.

Around the Network

Its because of they are guys.. ain't I right?

if it was a nice girl you would have preordered all that shit and more

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Euphoria14 said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:
GameStop is pretty terrible. I still shop there for exclusives and hard-to-find used games, but in general it's an unpleasant experience. The staff are usually good people who work hard, but they're constantly selling and up selling and, in some instances, judging customers' purchases. The worst offense is that games are treated so poorly, taken out of boxes and slapped with stickers (I can't tell you how many used games I've received, directly or indirectly from GameStop, with stickers affixed beneath the plastic covering on the spine of the actual box art).

And here's an anecdote that sums up the GameStop experience perfectly. I found a copy of Prince of Persia (2008) used for a few dollars and brought it up to the counter. The clerk took the game out, placed it in a generic case and set the original case (with box art and manual) aside. When he brought the generic case back to the counter, I asked politely if I could have the original case I picked out. He agreed, acting as if he was doing me a favor.

As a video game player and collector I still frequent GameStop -- I found a nice copy of Fire Emblem for Wii the other week -- but it's not a place that celebrates games and gamers. It's a place that celebrate corporate partnerships and bottom lines, and it shows.

I would chalk that experience up as fine.

I am sure basic procedure would have them want a proper shelf copy, but the fact that you asked for it and he obliged, I would take that as a good thing.

As for the stickers on the inside of the case, on the actual paper covering, that just outright sucks. I have yet to run into that one and if I did I would just refuse the purchase or even ask for a further discount since they are technically selling you a damaged product. Not sure how it works at Gamestop but it works everywhere else I shop.

By the way, those stickers can still come off without causing damage, but you need to do it EXTREMELY slow and carefully.

Maybe so. For the record I think the staff at GameStop are generally nice and knowledgable people. I've had some good conversations at times with employees. What I don't like is the GameStop play book, which I'm sure is handed down from above.

I guess I just prefer the mom and pop stores. The games are treated better, the staff demonstrate a passion for the medium, and the prices are more generous.

The Trade In value is horrible
The game you want is 60$ new
For a used copy it is 56$ (Which you can go on Ebay or Amazon and get it used for 40$ or less)
If you try to trade it in, you get like 15$ in store credit and 5 or 10$ cash
I know they have to make profit but seriously

The store itself isn't terrible, but the clerks are always pushy and obnoxious. I prefer stores like Walmart, Target, Best Buy, Future Shop, or Amazon. They scan your items, you give them money, and you leave. No questions asked. No warranty, no insurance, no "you really want to pay $10 for shrink wrap?" I don't shop GameStop or EB Games unless they have some kind of exclusive pre-order bonus I want.

8th gen predictions. (made early 2014)
PS4: 60-65m
WiiU: 30-35m
X1: 30-35m
3DS: 80-85m
PSV: 15-20m

Around the Network
xKakashi209x said:
I went to pick up TLOU yesterday with my friend and cousin and they pissed me off. They kept shoving Far Cry down our throats and even after we said no thank you they kept bugging us and telling us how great it is and how we should change our mind and pre order it right now.

Seems like people have lots of complaints about their staff. I guess they really need to work on training their employees on good customer service. 

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

MoHasanie said:
xKakashi209x said:
I went to pick up TLOU yesterday with my friend and cousin and they pissed me off. They kept shoving Far Cry down our throats and even after we said no thank you they kept bugging us and telling us how great it is and how we should change our mind and pre order it right now.

Seems like people have lots of complaints about their staff. I guess they really need to work on training their employees on good customer service. 

Could just be locations with a few overzealous workers trying to make a good impression with their bosses.

I didn't hear a peep about Farcry when I was there the last 2 days.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

I never trade in used games and i barely ever buy used. Mostly i use gamestop because i generally feel more comfortable there than a more general retailer who might not be able or care enough to get a game day one.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Gamers act in trends. Once one person hates it, then 2 more will, 4, 8 and so on and so on. It's just the way forum users are in these industry.

For instance, take the word "butthurt" as an example. Somewhere deep into a lonely's man's basement he once got into an online arguement and called someone butthurt. Now that comment was seen online and spread like wildfire in the 2006 or earlier timeframe. Now we have it as a stand alone word in every online forum today along with various .gifs etc.

Gamers are trendy people you know. I can't tell you how many times I heard "It's over 9000!!" online in video game forums....

BenVTrigger said:
Because most people on forums are.........very different than your average consumer.

Well I get annoyed everytime I visit a Gamestop they pester to me for pre orders, buy a warranty, bring in my used games, etc. It just makes me want to yell, "No, no, no... I just want my game now lets wrap this up."

I was at Gamestop just the other day. I tried make a little small talk during the transaction but the cashier wasn't having it. He just tried to sell me something based on any word that came out of my mouth. He didn't even bother looking at me, this is service I've had from the Gamestop too often. That just makes me leave the store annoyed.

I actually prefer female cashiers at Gamestop. They generally act human.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)