By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why all the Gamestop hate?

I don't pre-order or trade in my games much, so I never really have a reason to go specifically to GameStop for a video game purchase.

I also buy a lot of my games digitally lately, so there's even less of a reason for me to drive down to GameStop for something.

Around the Network

It's an option where retail options for gaming are shrinking.

The hate is generally directed at the very business practices that make Gamestop profitable and able to stay in business, but I'll admit GS is usually my last stop when I'm looking for something I can't find elsewhere.

On rare occasion, they'll have a promotion that gets me into the store. Considering that I live about 5-10 minutes away from 2 separate shops on foot, in the same area I'm frequently in anyway, it goes without saying that convenience does little to gain my patronage.

This year, I've been into GS twice. Once looking for a hard copy of MGSV:Zeroes when Amazon and everyone else was out of stock, and the second time to trade in my copy of TLoU for the Remaster. Considering I don't dabble in used games I think this was the first PS3 game I've actually sold/traded (that can't be right, but I think it is).

So, no love for GS, but no hate either. On the upside, a lot of the kids who work there genuinely love gaming.

VanceIX said:

It seems to me like half the Gamestops are fine, while the other half absolutely suck. I've had problems with 2 Gamestops in particular, and both with hardware returns. I went to one because my new 3DS XL's hinge seemed off, and they replaced it, but only after telling me that I was overreacting and that if I had a problem with that I'd have a problem with every game system. WTF? Such shitty customer service. The other time, I went to return a different 3DS at another store sue to dead pixels, and they refused to exchange, even after seeing the pixels, claiming that it was too small to notice and be considered a defect. Since when are dead pixels not defects Gamestop? 

I found a Gamestop near my university tat is simply excellent, but I refuse to buy hardware from any Gamestop now. They won't refund you even for defective hardware, and only do identical exchanges, so if they are out of stock with the hardware, you are screwed. 

I can go to Walmart, show the customer rep the defect, and they'll refund me, no questions asked. I can also get a price match at Walmart or Bestbuy, something Gamestop refuses to do as well. If they suffer, they deserve it because of their horrible policies. 

I think the problem with GS, or maybe that should be the problem GS has, is that they have to deal with quite a few scammers trying to abuse the system of used merch. I'm guessing they also deal (inadvertently) with stolen merch that gets traded in as well, pawn shop style and all the other problems shops have to deal with when it comes to used items.

With giant entities like Walmart, returns, etc. have minimal to no effect on their margins, the clerks have no vested interest in stopping graft because their performance reports generally aren't going to be effected whereas there's more scrutiny at small shops like GS. 

But all retail outlets have their return policies. I'm just guessing that GS' are probably more stringent and more readily enforced relative to giants like Walmart. 

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=187735

Good ol' Gamestop.

jlmurph2 said:

Good ol' Gamestop.

lol. this thread couldnt have been made at a worse time.

Around the Network
bananaking21 said:
jlmurph2 said:

Good ol' Gamestop.

lol. this thread couldnt have been made at a more convenient time.

Fixed

jlmurph2 said:
bananaking21 said:

lol. this thread couldnt have been made at a more convenient time.

Fixed

LOL! 

My biggest issue is the practice of "new" games not being sealed copies. Being gutted with all those stickers knocks a good $10 off any game. I cannot really blame them for the terrible condition used games are in, I just do not buy them. So not much hate, just do not care for the place.

I just don't buy my games at GameStop because I only purchase new factory sealed games, and because I don't want to support their business practices.

There just a bunch of high schoolers that don't know jack about gameing

VITA 32 GIG CARD.250 GIG SLIM & 160 GIG PHAT PS3