By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Super Official Anime Discussion Thread

Bofuri is still amazing. The animation is complete dogshit in parts but it's so wonderfully whimsy. Both MCs are already awesome, can't wait for the rest of the cast and the evolving story. I already regret that it's only 12 eps.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network

I used to watch Anime in Japanese with English subs back when I downloaded that stuff, like the evil pirate that I was.

Now I'm still evil but with Netflix I got used to the convenience and I'm too lazy to go back to downloads, ratios, seeds and all that nonsense.

Anyway the point being that I used to watch Anime subs and now I watch Anime dubs (Sometimes in English, sometimes in French).

Time for my first update of the year, just in time for February.

Backstreet Girls: Gokudolls- A strange show, but after watching an episode I was on board. The animation quality is quite poor, but it somehow adds to the humor. Surprisingly the story does progress little by little with some plot, but it all boils down to random laughs. The boss was hilarious, and some of the operations comical. All in all a good filler show. OP was okay, but skippable. No ED for me.

Cells at Work- A show that will teach you a lot about the body. It is interesting but watching this show all marathon like I did, made some of the repeated information quite annoying. Although the titles of each episode would spoil what would happen, I thought it more interesting to ignore it and try to figure out just what is happening on my own until the reveal. The characters were fun to follow for awhile, but the ending was satisfying enough for me. No OP or ED.

Goblin Slayer- This one got a lot of attention for the first episode, but it was quite meh, but it appears the hook did its job quite well. Fantasy monsters do what fantasy monsters do, and they didn't show more brutal scenes. The fantasy setting and mechanics of the show reminded me a lot of DnD, which I thought was great. The actual story ended up being mindless goblin slaying, without showing much crude intellect from the enemy. The OP was okay, but not the ED. The OST during fights and stuff was oddly very good at times.

If I watch 3 shows per month, then I will watch 36 shows this year, so a much higher rate than last year and higher than the year before at least.

Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken Episode 5 is just pure delight. I grinned from start to finish. So many small-yet-great moments.  When everyone was crying and sharing their secret heartbreaks ... I love all of them.  All three girls are awesome.

Spoiler!

Might as well add a few myself that I have been watching this month...I'll not go into too much detail, don't want to spoil anything if you have not seen them.

Rising of the Shield Hero - You have probably heard of this one. I find this a fresh slant on Isekai, a one to watch!
Usagi Drop (aka Bunny Drop)- A heartwarming child raising experience. (Don't bother with the fan appeasing Manga). Liked it so much I got the DVD!
Gate - Modern JSDF meets a fanatasy medieval world.
The Vision of Escaflowne - Isekai finding purpose/love story through pain and sorrow.

And yeah... after watching a Nux Taku youtube video I watched the first episode of 'Interspecies Reviewers', massive memes, it's just so crazy. I'll say no more for fear of being banned!

[Edit]

How could I forget! 

Violet Evergarden - A former child soldier who is attempting to adjust to life after war. I found this to be really good

Last edited by Quartz - on 07 March 2020

Good to see this site is still going 

Around the Network

I also watched 3 more anime in February, keeping good pace.

One Punch Man season 2- After what I have been hearing I expected it to be really bad, but it wasn't. It was average. The most grating thing was the lack of Saitama comparatively. Other than that I found the other stories as decent replacements. While all Saitama fights are predictable, these other fights weren't so predictable with some really good fights. The Op was also a little bit annoying so I had to skip, ED was okay.

Cagaster of an Insect Cage- Another not so good Netflix anime. CGI was bad, but it didn't matter to me. What mattered to me was the typical plot line. The bugs were new, but the way they did it was just meh. One thing I liked and disliked were the motivations of certain characters. One character in particular had his motivations change every episode, and this same character also seems to be invincible at times because plot. OP and ED skip.

Dr. Stone (24 episodes)- This show had a lot of hype for it, and I can see why. It is like 7 seeds but much better. This show had 2 tones to it, the pseudo science stuff and finding stuff in nature and the conflicts. I liked both, but after a bit of immersion breaking science I had to change my stance to enjoying the ridiculousness of it, rather than trying to make sense of it. Oh yeah and the stupidity of certain characters really grinded my gears. Another particular thing that annoyed me is the size of a village. After 3000 or so years, the villagers would have migrated south to a place where it would be somewhat warmer that is more feasible for civilization building and be able to  build cities with populations over 10,000 or 100,000 and even 1 million. OPs and EDs were good.

This month I have a lot more time, but it is also a gaming month. The goal is to keep up with 3 per month, but I wouldn't be sad if I used the time wisely playing new games.

If anyone wants to stream old anime without a subscription, give this a try:

https://www.retrocrush.tv/

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Looks like anime is saved yet again with the new Trigger masterpiece BNA.

https://myanimelist.net/anime/40060/BNA

Featuring a stellar vocal performance of Sumire Morohoshi who was so great at some points that I almost thought she was Tomoyo Kurosawa. It's directed by LWA director You Yoshinari and it shows.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Trigger is getting some support in saving anime from Kakushigoto.

https://myanimelist.net/anime/40716/Kakushigoto_TV

An anime from the creator of Zetsubou Sensei. Strangely enough not produced by Shaft. They even use the same voice actor as Zetsubou sensei for this MC. The character designs are as lovely as ever and the comedy and flow are quite similar. I'm also thoroughly enjoying the massive amount of pun names. Overall really great.

It's been a while since I've... been here.

Caught up to Jojo's Bizarre Adventures. So far, my favorite anime series even after the third rewatch. I even appreciated Part 1 after a second time with the dub. I can't get enough of the characters and the stories. The references are a plus. Can't wait for that "Part 6 confirmed".

I'm also up to date with My Hero Academia. This past season wasn't the best; the weakest of the four. But a few good things came out of the second arc. Baddies on this anime are usually unlikable. Tomura, Himiko, Chisaki, All For One... all pieces of shit, except for Gentle Criminal and La Brava. I don't want to spoil by going in-depth, but I can safely say they're my favorite villains from the series.

Space Dandy was a fun watch. Slow on the first episode, but it picked up quite nicely. It took three episodes to see the hilarious trend it was going to take throughout the season (poor Dr. Gel). I'll give the second season a watch later.

I'm currently watching Gintama and Death Parade. I've never laughed so damn hard with an anime than with Gintama. That alone wins my attention. Death Parade I randomly discovered thanks to its insanely addictive OP. "The OP is addictive and cheerful, so the show might be the same way", I thought. Then I started watching.