By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Super Official Anime Discussion Thread

The current season is just so relaxing. I have the fewest shows ever picked up in a season and I'm even almost through with Jashin Chan, which was aired in full at the start of the season. That means I can finally tackle my backlog of the past 3 seasons.

Currently watching Doctor Stone which is very entertaining shounen trash.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network

Watched the 3 more anime for this month, and since I had the time, 2 of them were 24 and 25 episodes.

Toradora (25 episodes)- This show was really good until about the 17 episode mark. 17-23 were pretty bad 24 and 25 really take the cake. Even though one could see what is coming the entire time, I still had to watch it until the end. The main guy was decent until the random shift. The main girl is the definition of tsundere. I quite enjoyed their early relationship, and I genuinely hoped that they would be successful in the end. It is kind of funny to me, some time after watching this show, I watched a generic Hollywood movie called "The Wrong Missy". The movie "surprised" me with the exact same conclusion as Toradora even though it didn't make sense at all. Toradora was obviously a lot better with the beginning and middle, but that is what 600 minutes of runtime does for you compared to 120. Despite the ending, I enjoyed the characters throughout. I enjoy SoL anime very much, but sadly when they become too serious into the romance, things can be ruined. Throughout the show I was siding with Ami. Her reactions were often the same as mine. OP and ED meh.

Edit: I forgot to mention the parent stuff really hit me hard too. Some of it was a little bit much. While also unrealistic, some of the personalities involved were too close to home.

Owari no Seraph (24 episodes)- Another vampire show with a ton of Yaoi vibes! Where is the Yuri yo!?! Joking aside, this show had a lot more action. I like that guns power was limited due to supernatural beings, so that means more swordplay. A lot of generic things happened, but I enjoyed the new ways a normal human could hope to match a vampire. One vampire in particular though was encountered many times and wasn't even close to dying. I was hoping he would die by the end of the season, but I guess he is now a main character so can't die or won't die until literally the final climax. Some of the scenes were really great though. This show is a few years old, so it seems a sequel won't be happening anytime soon. I might read the manga, but I am hoping the squad can really power up to at least match a low rank noble. OP and ED meh.

Drifting Dragons- This show reminded a lot about last exile combined with whaling propaganda. Makes me hungry for some whale/dragon meat, but of course I wouldn't dare endorse that. The focus on Gerad was meh, I was hoping to learn more about the other crew members. The grunts were pretty funny as comedy relief, but they got stories too! The baby dragon was really cute and the noises reminded me of the cat from Nioh 2. Not much happen between episode 1 and episode 12, but maybe next season substantial things will happen. OP and ED meh.

Next month I return to work, but I don't have many games to play so hopefully I keep on track.

Last edited by Farsala - on 27 May 2020

I just finished a re-watch of F/SN: Unlimited Blade Works and Heaven's Feel I in preparation for Heaven's Feel II which should arrive in a day or two. I'm praying that we'll be getting the final movie in theatres here, because I'm not sure I can wait a year or so to finish this trilogy. Just the first one already blows my mind, and based on what I've heard about part II...
Same thing with Star Blazers (Space Battleship Yamato) 2205. I finally got to watch the whole first two seasons at the end of last year, and hope there's some small chance of a limited viewing here.

As for upcoming series, only the new Re:Zero and final season of Oregairu (My Teen Romantic Comedy...) interest me so far. For the latter, I did read the ending spoilers from the novel; the author was taking so long finishing I was sure he'd screw it up, but from what I read he actually pulled it off rather well, so I'm looking forward to that.

Outside of that, just waiting for that Attack on Titan season 4 confirmation...

Somewhat off-topic, but Japan's manga sales for the first half of the year just released and they're absolutely insane. Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba just outsold One Piece by a factor of 9:1. I'll be shocked if that series doesn't get a complete anime adaption.

Feels weird, because I never knew it was that popular. Only experience I even have with it, was a couple of the first chapters when it was put in Jump Start. Funny enough, VIZ didn't even greenlight it after that for the english Weekly Shonen Jump, because I guess they didn't believe it'd take off lol.
Of course they've re-worked their site (no more magazine), and it's available now.

Sounds good. The anime was quite watchable for being complete shounen trash. Kinda like 7 Deadly Sins.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
Shaunodon said:

Somewhat off-topic, but Japan's manga sales for the first half of the year just released and they're absolutely insane. Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba just outsold One Piece by a factor of 9:1. I'll be shocked if that series doesn't get a complete anime adaption.

Feels weird, because I never knew it was that popular. Only experience I even have with it, was a couple of the first chapters when it was put in Jump Start. Funny enough, VIZ didn't even greenlight it after that for the english Weekly Shonen Jump, because I guess they didn't believe it'd take off lol.
Of course they've re-worked their site (no more magazine), and it's available now.

Well, I mean it is much like Shingeki no Kyojin. The anime boosted the manga very much, and just shows why it is worth making anime. Since anime is mostly made to sell manga. But of course each individual volume is one piece level, much like Shingeki no Kyojin.

I am a bit surprised One Piece stays so consistent with over 450m sales.

'Ask and you shall receive'.

Attack on Titan just got it's season 4 confirmation. Fall 2020 and a new studio.

Edit: New studio is MAPPA. Not sure it needed it's own thread, but I made one for the final season info drop.

Last edited by Shaunodon - on 29 May 2020

The PV for Attack on Titan the Final Season is a homerun. MAPPA just killing it.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Quarantine is killing me more than Coronavirus, so I fast forward time by watching more anime.

Sword Art Online Alicization War of the Underworld Part 1: I tricked myself into watching this before part 2 came out. Without much of the MC, we get to see other characters shine, but the other characters are just as much Overpowered. Like the wholesale slaughter is basically Overlord on steroids. Not much really happened and is probably my lowest rated "part", hopefully part 2 is better. I couldn't find the OP or ED to remind me so I will just say they are meh.

The Rising of the Shield Hero (25 episodes)- This show had a lot of potential. The first 10 episodes or so were really good, and it felt great when he accomplished things with great difficulty involved. Unfortunately after a bit, he becomes too overpowered. Not only that, ridiculous things happen that make zero sense. I think this show is only rated high because people voted before watching the whole thing, but at least reading forums and threads, it is clear that this show was actually rated even higher and steadily dropped due to just how bad it became. At least the meta story doesn't sound too bad, so I will still want to watch a season 2 to find out what happens. OP1 and OP2 were okay. ED1 good, ED2 okay.

High School DxD Hero- Was saving this show for a rainy day. Still got some good laughs out of the sheer ridiculousness of it, but not quite as many as previous seasons. The pace seemed a bit fast , but maybe it is just my watching speed that is fast. I am most surprised that he didn't get to see his predecessor naked or need a horny boost near the end. Oh well, the harem is still alive and well! I hope this anime continues to do well, because quite frankly there has been a distinct lack of ecchi anime lately. OP and ED meh.