By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Super Official Anime Discussion Thread

Shadow1980 said:

I just realized that a week from tomorrow will be 20 years to the day when "Season 3" of Dragon Ball Z premiered on Toonami. DBZ had spent the previous year running on Toonami after reruns debuted on the block in August 1998, developing a huge following after failing to gain traction in syndication in 1996-97. Cartoon Network hyped the new episodes massively:

When "Z Day" finally hit on September 13, 1999, initial responses to the new episodes were... mixed. As someone who was highly active in the DBZ fanbase at the time, I remember very well how everyone reacted to it. The general consensus at the time was that, while the reduction in the amount of edits was universally praised, most viewers did not like Funimation's decision to recast everyone with untested non-union voice actors instead of continuing to work with Ocean Studios, which was an experienced dubbing group that was generally considered better than the then-new Funimation cast in every way. Also, while Shuki Levy's music that replaced the original Japanese score wasn't exactly praised, it was at the time considered better than Bruce Faulconer's new score. While the Funimation cast is now very well-established and looked at fondly through the lens of nostalgia, especially for younger DB fans, back in September 1999 it was a very controversial and unpopular change.

*sigh* It's amazing how fast 20 years can go by. Anywho, I hope you all enjoyed this little blast from the past. Toonami was definitely one of the highlights of my early adulthood, which was also part of the early years of my being a fan of anime. I had discovered anime back around 1995 or 1996 through the Sci-Fi Channel's "Saturday Anime" block on Saturday mornings, and that's what got me into it, but it was my discovery of Toonami and especially DBZ back in 1998 that truly cemented my status as an anime fan, and I rapidly expanded my search for new anime after that point.

Toonami definitely started my liking of anime, and Adult Swim solidified it. They were my favorite shows to watch closely followed by Hannah Barbera shows. I miss 90s shows eh.

Around the Network

I'm not sure what to say about Beastars or what to expect from the adaptation. The manga is unique and interesting but it's also true that I stopped reading it because it's depressing and, honestly, it made me uncomfortable. It can be very dark. I'll probably give the anime a try, however, since it will likely move a lot quicker than the manga.

Seems to be a ton of continuing battle shounen this season.  Eh.  A bunch more isekai, too, which is usually more miss than hit.

Chihayafuru 3 and Laid Back Camp 2, though, so I'm happy.  A few other things look interesting enough to try.

Also waiting eagerly for the ridiculous violence and insanity of Dorohedoro.  In my heart of hearts I know it's almost impossible that they'll capture even half the atmosphere of the manga but, damn it all, it would be amazing if they did.  

With the Summer season shows wrapping up this week, thought I give my rankings.

4. Fire Force

Solid show so far, not anything too special outside of it looking beautiful animation wise, its so far a standard shonen, but as a fan of Shonen action series I am enjoying it and the conspiracy the show focuses on is what is keeping me hook.

3. Maidens in Your Savage Season

Starts off fantastic, like a possible Anime of the year contender for me, but the last couple of episodes felt a bit too rush, but still a great show at the end of the day.

2. Doctor Stone

Really enjoying this civilization match where the main character is going for the science victory, while the main villain is going for the domination victory. I like the characters especially the supporting cast that gets introduce after the second arc and I do plan picking up the Manga once the show is over.

1. Vinland Saga

Might honest to god be my AOTY, I had the feeling after Episode 4 that I was watching some truly special and I am really excited to see where the story is going especially since every episode has been better then last. 

Here's the opening to help you on this incredible show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEVcTStgA4A

Also watched the second occurs for both Fruits Basket and Demon Slayer both of which gotta even better and are likely gonna end up in my top 5 shows of the year.

Looks like I got nothing done this season. Too much other stuff to do and like 100 eps in my backlog. Let's hope next season will be absolute garbage so i can have some breathing room.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

I fell like a year behind now. Last weekend I watched a few episodes with friends, and feel like I should commit more time to anime. I think I will limit my WoW Classic time to save time for other games, studying and anime.

Around the Network

I've never actually dropped an anime over a single character...but Working!!! (however many exclamation points are in there) might be a rare exception. Though also possibly an interesting case study for my tastes in anime ladies.

I think I laughed a bit at first at Inami, the violent shy girl who beats up any man she sees. Unfortunately the joke grew old after like...maybe one episode. I don't typically mind abuse comedy since it's usually pretty wacky and it doesn't seem to make a big impact in the scheme of things....but here I just found it obnoxious and wished it would end. Maybe it's because the anime tried to simultaneously play it off as a joke and a serious issue, or maybe it's because I didn't care for her base shy girl personality, but every time she showed up I either groaned or hoped she would get fired, or that someone would at least hit back on occasion. Makes me wonder if I've liked tsundere characters all this time in spite of this trope rather than because of it...but I think this might be the first time it turned me off from a character.

I did like most of the rest of the cast, the MC's sisters, and really liked the Sanji/Katana girl ship. Unfortunately I don't really feel like sticking around for 40 episodes to see if one of the core cast members gets less obnoxious, and a side ship alone isn't enough to keep me invested. I won't rule out returning to it...but right now my impression is pretty poor.

----------

Anyways, the season is over, but I'm too lazy to make my usual list. Last few shows will end this weekend but right now my top 5 are:

1. Kanata no Astra - Great ensemble show with likable characters, great pacing, unpredictable twists and awesome ending. Huzzah for anime with endings!
2. Dr. Stone - Cool crafting adventure with a cool MC and a lot of blondes
3. Fire Force - Fun shounen adventure with some cool characters. DavidPro delivers...and did a great job accommodating an anime like this that probably released at the worst possible time (given the KyoAni tragedy a few months ago).
4. Kimetsu no Yaiba - Interesting dark fantasy. Started great but fell a bit. Too little Nezuko and too much Zenitsu
5. Demon Daughter - Animation was a bit meh but was a cute bonding story. Latina is adorable.

New season starts soon! Haven't put my list together yet...but it seems like a shounen fan's dream.

Last edited by Super_Boom - on 25 September 2019

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

It was a good season.

Loved Joshikousei no Mudazukai (Wasteful Days of High School Girls), some of the girls were awesome.  Just a fantastic job of creating characters.  Majo, Loli, Wota, Robo, and Majime were probably my favorites. Ep 12 was especially nifty and had cameos from the new characters in the manga.  Really good OP, too.

My favorite moment:

Kanata no Astra was really good, as well.  It had a good plot with lots of unexpected twists and turns without being ridiculous.  The way everything was so easy at first was a bit bothersome but, honestly, we're not getting Red Mars in a single anime season.  Convenient planets is a small price to pay for a plot that moves along well.

I enjoyed Dr. Stone a lot.  Almost dropped it at first but it became far more interesting when they mixed in "native" characters.  Only complaint was how a science based show has no hesitation about disregarding reality whenever it feels like it.  

DanMachi 2 was good.  Not on the level of the first but still entertaining.  

Super_Boom said:

I've never actually dropped an anime over a single character...but Working!!! (however many exclamation points are in there) might be a rare exception. Though also possibly an interesting case study for my tastes in anime ladies.

I think I laughed a bit at first at Inami, the violent shy girl who beats up any man she sees. Unfortunately the joke grew old after like...maybe one episode. I don't typically mind abuse comedy since it's usually pretty wacky and it doesn't seem to make a big impact in the scheme of things....but here I just found it obnoxious and wished it would end. Maybe it's because the anime tried to simultaneously play it off as a joke and a serious issue, or maybe it's because I didn't care for her base shy girl personality, but every time she showed up I either groaned or hoped she would get fired, or that someone would at least hit back on occasion. Makes me wonder if I've liked tsundere characters all this time in spite of this trope rather than because of it...but I think this might be the first time it turned me off from a character.

I did like most of the rest of the cast, the MC's sisters, and really liked the Sanji/Katana girl ship. Unfortunately I don't really feel like sticking around for 40 episodes to see if one of the core cast members gets less obnoxious, and a side ship alone isn't enough to keep me invested. I won't rule out returning to it...but right now my impression is pretty poor.

I absolutely hated that character in Working!!  I already dislike the whole abusive relationship comedy trope to begin with but what really pissed me off with this anime was that no one around seemed to care that one employee was physically attacking another employee, which made me dislike pretty much all of them.  That's why I dropped it the first time.

However, I did go back to it and I'm glad I did.  First, while that particular type of "comedy" continues, it does show how it's really messing up that girl's life and that she wants to get over it.  Not perfect but it's something.  If I remember right, the second season was much better all around.

More importantly, Yamada.  Troublemaker Yamada shows up and the value of the show at least doubles.

pokoko said:

I enjoyed Dr. Stone a lot.  Almost dropped it at first but it became far more interesting when they mixed in "native" characters.  Only complaint was how a science based show has no hesitation about disregarding reality whenever it feels like it.  

The shift in focus in Dr. Stone is why I would recommend anyone to watch until at least the second part begins. I remember wondering why the manga was getting so much hype when I first started it. It wasn't until Kohaku that I understood why.

I can't remember where I read it, but apparently a reason for the shift was Taiju being a really unpopular character in the Japanese fanbase, and the author was still early enough into his story to restructure his main cast. I'm kinda grateful personally...Taiju feels much more tolerable as a side character than a core MC. Not sure about the brown-haired girl but it seems the author chose to keep them together rather than make another dumb harem around the real MC.

Sort of unrelated, but the manga is done by an author/artist team, and I really enjoy the artist, Boichi's, style. He recently got a chance to redraw a classic One Piece chapter, and I loved how well it turned out.

pokoko said:

I absolutely hated that character in Working!!  I already dislike the whole abusive relationship comedy trope to begin with but what really pissed me off with this anime was that no one around seemed to care that one employee was physically attacking another employee, which made me dislike pretty much all of them.  That's why I dropped it the first time.

However, I did go back to it and I'm glad I did.  First, while that particular type of "comedy" continues, it does show how it's really messing up that girl's life and that she wants to get over it.  Not perfect but it's something.  If I remember right, the second season was much better all around.

More importantly, Yamada.  Troublemaker Yamada shows up and the vale of the show at least doubles.

Yamada made me chuckle, I'd like to see more of her. Most of the characters seemed dumb enough that I could forgive it, though it's true that it was more than just the manager that enabled Inami's shitty behavior. 

I vented to some friends about it last night, and the recurring theme I hear is that it gets more tolerable over time, so maybe I'll keep at it. If I still hate Inami by mid-season 2 I'll probably just cut my losses though. I don't like dropping anime that make laugh...I just need to decide if the annoyances outweigh the strengths I guess. 

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

Super_Boom said:
pokoko said:

More importantly, Yamada.  Troublemaker Yamada shows up and the vale of the show at least doubles.

Yamada made me chuckle, I'd like to see more of her. Most of the characters seemed dumb enough that I could forgive it, though it's true that it was more than just the manager that enabled Inami's shitty behavior. 

I vented to some friends about it last night, and the recurring theme I hear is that it gets more tolerable over time, so maybe I'll keep at it. If I still hate Inami by mid-season 2 I'll probably just cut my losses though. I don't like dropping anime that make laugh...I just need to decide if the annoyances outweigh the strengths I guess. 

Inami doesn't really get better. It's just that focus shifts a bit away from her. But it's really all about Yamada. If you don't watch the show because of her you're watching the show wrong. Though sadly the more the show goes on the less screentime she gets :(

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Mar1217 said:

So much this ... Honestly, I didn't dislike the dynamic between the main cast but once they parted ways and Senku discovered these natives, I think the show became all the more enjoyable for that. Although, there's some moments of melodrama that honestly had no reason to being there anyway. Also another problem is .... Tsukasa weird tracking prowess. 

Like, I think he shouldn't have been so intelligent to begin with. I mean, the weird sudden spark in intelligence he had that helped him chase them was like a bound in logic to his characterization of simple, thoughtful strong man. Not just that, the territory he was covering too was just honestly too vast to begin such a search and yet, he conveniantly pin pointed their location like it was nothing. He's a man yes, but gosh he's not supposed to be a supernatural force of wisdom and strengh capable of any accomplishment because the plot demands him to.

Appart from this, the premise and concept of the show is truly something I dig, so I'll keep watching going into the next season.

That time when Tsukasa

Spoiler!
killed an adult male lion with one punch

, I stopped the video and closed it.  The anime was already dragging at that point and then it just went straight-up ridiculous.  The best MMA fighter in the world would be mauled to death in seconds by an adult lion.  He should have at least struggled--in fact, it would have been more impressive if it had been even a tad realistic.  It was a big shounen jump (heh) for something that had presented itself as science based.  It wasn't until Boom said not to judge it yet that I went back to it.  

As for his intelligence, I'd be fine with him being very cunning or clever but he seems to be almost as knowledgeable about chemistry and science as the main character, which just strikes me as very unlikely and convenient.  

Whatever, I guess.  It's clearly trying very hard to hit the standard shounen high notes so I guess some of that is to be expected.  As long as the other parts of the series are imaginative and interesting, I can deal with that.

Super_Boom said:

The shift in focus in Dr. Stone is why I would recommend anyone to watch until at least the second part begins. I remember wondering why the manga was getting so much hype when I first started it. It wasn't until Kohaku that I understood why.

I can't remember where I read it, but apparently a reason for the shift was Taiju being a really unpopular character in the Japanese fanbase, and the author was still early enough into his story to restructure his main cast. I'm kinda grateful personally...Taiju feels much more tolerable as a side character than a core MC. Not sure about the brown-haired girl but it seems the author chose to keep them together rather than make another dumb harem around the real MC.

Sort of unrelated, but the manga is done by an author/artist team, and I really enjoy the artist, Boichi's, style. He recently got a chance to redraw a classic One Piece chapter, and I loved how well it turned out.

That's some nice looking art.  Kind of underscores how awesome One Piece is, as well.  I mean, imagine if it had the highest level art to go along with the rest of it.  

That story of the manga being changed on the fly reminds me of something that happened with Joshikousei no Mudazukai.  When the anime started, it surprised me because it was WAY out of order compared to the manga.  The first few episodes concentrated on the 3 main characters, which was odd to me because the strength of the manga, in my opinion, was that the extended cast was so good and they were showcased in the manga right off the bat.  However, the mangaka wrote that the MANGA chapters were actually out of order because she was totally convinced that the manga was going to be cancelled and she wanted to get all the characters out there.  I don't know if that's why the anime went with a different order but it would make sense.  I thought that was kind of funny and shows how manga creation is rather fluid.

Also, Suika > Kohaku