By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Super Official Anime Discussion Thread

pokoko said:

Anime related.  Anime related!

Whoa, the manga for Hanebado is a lot different.  The order of events, things happening in the anime that didn't happen in the manga, people saying stuff in the anime that they didn't say in the manga, even the overall feel and attitude of important characters.  It has more comedy, too, and is moving a LOT faster in the early going.

This Ayano is more cute, mousey, childish, and shy.  If she becomes anything like the Ayano of the anime, it will be an even bigger transformation.  

Also, her first meeting with Connie is completely different.  The vibe is the total opposite, in fact, which is a surprise.  

It's okay. I struck Cloudman down in a grueling duel several months ago. As victor all his threads can be absorbed into mine. 

Ha! Take that, teme!

*rubs his aching wound with his one remaining arm*

Kinda interesting that they changed the tone so severely. Was the anime trying to be darker? Curious what the thought process was there.

-------------------------

Anyway, last poll was lame so I'm not gonna talk about that. New poll is also kinda lame but it's something we all talk about anyway. What's your AOTS?

Just an advance warning, after this poll, I'll probably leave the poll open unless has something they want to see asked. I think any thread that lives and dies based on something like a poll isn't really a good thread to begin with, and we can keep discussion going outside of those questions anyway. I'll stick around and edit the OP sometimes, but if anyone wants to manage the thread, just me know! 

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

Around the Network

Well, Revue Starlight done, again, one of the greatest shows I have had the pleasure to watch, it started amazing and finished in the most perfect fashion.

Super_Boom said:
pokoko said:

Anime related.  Anime related!

Whoa, the manga for Hanebado is a lot different.  The order of events, things happening in the anime that didn't happen in the manga, people saying stuff in the anime that they didn't say in the manga, even the overall feel and attitude of important characters.  It has more comedy, too, and is moving a LOT faster in the early going.

This Ayano is more cute, mousey, childish, and shy.  If she becomes anything like the Ayano of the anime, it will be an even bigger transformation.  

Also, her first meeting with Connie is completely different.  The vibe is the total opposite, in fact, which is a surprise.  

It's okay. I struck Cloudman down in a grueling duel several months ago. As victor all his threads can be absorbed into mine. 

Ha! Take that, teme!

*rubs his aching wound with his one remaining arm*

Kinda interesting that they changed the tone so severely. Was the anime trying to be darker? Curious what the thought process was there.

-------------------------

I've heard a rumor that you only won because you cheated.  That's just what I heard!  Something about an illegal summon ...

------------

I can't get over the difference between the anime and manga version of Hanebado.  I've seen a lot of anime that changed things around a bit or altered elements here and there but this is just a complete change in tone and story.

The anime creates a TON of melodrama that isn't in the manga. 

For example, right off the bat in the anime, there are members who quit the team after having a big fight with the team captain, who is working everyone into the ground.  She's frustrated and bitter about losing the previous year and she expects everyone to give 100% to the sport, just like her.  Then comes the new coach who has to try and fix the club before it falls apart.  That's a big part of the story in the first few episodes.  None of that happens in the manga, though.  Some members do quit but it's after the new coach takes over and it's actually treated as a joke because half of them said their grandmother died.  There is no drama with the team captain pushing everyone.

Other differences:  anime makes a big deal about the immediate tension between the MC and the captain but that doesn't happen (maybe later?).  The MC doesn't mock her opponents in the manga.  The big rivals in the anime aren't big rivals in the manga--in fact, one of them gets beat easily and with little fanfare.  Connie, the blonde girl from Europe, doesn't say the things she said in the anime and she doesn't act the same.  The actual first big rival doesn't even appear in the anime and neither does the man who seems to be the primary antagonist.  The whole thing with the MC's mother is much different--when she returns in the manga, she doesn't make contact with the MC at all, whereas in the anime she returns home immediately and is friendly to the MC.  Even more meaningful, the MC in the manga isn't all resentful and bitter but instead she desperately wants her mother to return.

I could go on and on.  The manga moves quickly, has a lot of comedy, and the main character is kind of a mousey airhead.  The anime is super melodramatic, moves very slowly, and the main character is a total bitch half the time.

It's like if they made the One Piece anime where Luffy was sarcastic and spiteful, hated Shanks for abandoning him, and he and Zoro disliked one another and butted heads constantly.  Oh, and they made a big deal of Buggy as his primary rival.

I can't help but wonder if the mangaka had any say in this one way or another.  It's really kind of fascinating.

pokoko said:

I can't get over the difference between the anime and manga version of Hanebado.  I've seen a lot of anime that changed things around a bit or altered elements here and there but this is just a complete change in tone and story.

The anime creates a TON of melodrama that isn't in the manga. 

For example, right off the bat in the anime, there are members who quit the team after having a big fight with the team captain, who is working everyone into the ground.  She's frustrated and bitter about losing the previous year and she expects everyone to give 100% to the sport, just like her.  Then comes the new coach who has to try and fix the club before it falls apart.  That's a big part of the story in the first few episodes.  None of that happens in the manga, though.  Some members do quit but it's after the new coach takes over and it's actually treated as a joke because half of them said their grandmother died.  There is no drama with the team captain pushing everyone.

Other differences:  anime makes a big deal about the immediate tension between the MC and the captain but that doesn't happen (maybe later?).  The MC doesn't mock her opponents in the manga.  The big rivals in the anime aren't big rivals in the manga--in fact, one of them gets beat easily and with little fanfare.  Connie, the blonde girl from Europe, doesn't say the things she said in the anime and she doesn't act the same.  The actual first big rival doesn't even appear in the anime and neither does the man who seems to be the primary antagonist.  The whole thing with the MC's mother is much different--when she returns in the manga, she doesn't make contact with the MC at all, whereas in the anime she returns home immediately and is friendly to the MC.  Even more meaningful, the MC in the manga isn't all resentful and bitter but instead she desperately wants her mother to return.

I could go on and on.  The manga moves quickly, has a lot of comedy, and the main character is kind of a mousey airhead.  The anime is super melodramatic, moves very slowly, and the main character is a total bitch half the time.

It's like if they made the One Piece anime where Luffy was sarcastic and spiteful, hated Shanks for abandoning him, and he and Zoro disliked one another and butted heads constantly.  Oh, and they made a big deal of Buggy as his primary rival.

I can't help but wonder if the mangaka had any say in this one way or another.  It's really kind of fascinating.

That's...kind of insane. Not sure if I can think of an adaptation that changed that much. It's like they swapped the entire tone of the manga for something darker and more melodramatic. Maybe the anime studio thought an optimistic MC wouldn't stand out as much? Seems like the opposite but whatever. Man that kind of annoys me.

I feel like usually authors that aren't as well established don't have as much of a say...but then again I've heard more popular ones like the Death Note author commenting on disliking parts of their own anime, so maybe even they don't have their own say. Could be this one was so excited to get an adaptation they didn't really care. Feel bad for them if they didn't like this direction.

And thanks for that analogy XD It does help.

---------------------

Just finished my season, except Attack on Titan and Angels of Death, so I can make my list later. If I remember anyway. Had no idea Angels of Death ended last week, since it wasn't even an ending. It sounds like the last four episodes are releasing as OVAs which means I'll probably forget to watch them whenever they come out. Great choice guys. 10/10.

Meanwhile in backlog land, I decided to give Black Clover another shot. It's that show about the boy with no powers who wants to beat Sasuke and become the Pirate King so the plot gives him Zangetsu and he joins Fairy Tail. Originally I dropped it because I hated the MC's voice and the first two episodes didn't really keep my interest, but I've had enough people tell me to try it again, and the manga seems to be reasonably popular, so I decided to see if it gets better later.

Overall...I'd say yes it does. The MC is still pretty annoying, but the anime gets a lot more fun once he joins Fairy...I mean the Black Bulls. The characters are all so goofy and hilarious and I can't help but want to see more of them. The MC even becomes better by association, mostly because his squad members call him out for being a loud annoying idiot. Favorite characters are probably Noelle (tsundere!), Vanesssa (hot drunk girl!), and Yami (pooping and sleeping!).

Has some really good OP/EDs so far...hopefully it keeps it up since I haven't disliked any yet.

Super_Boom said:

Meanwhile in backlog land, I decided to give Black Clover another shot. It's that show about the boy with no powers who wants to beat Sasuke and become the Pirate King so the plot gives him Zangetsu and he joins Fairy Tail. Originally I dropped it because I hated the MC's voice and the first two episodes didn't really keep my interest, but I've had enough people tell me to try it again, and the manga seems to be reasonably popular, so I decided to see if it gets better later.

Overall...I'd say yes it does. The MC is still pretty annoying, but the anime gets a lot more fun once he joins Fairy...I mean the Black Bulls. The characters are all so goofy and hilarious and I can't help but want to see more of them. The MC even becomes better by association, mostly because his squad members call him out for being a loud annoying idiot. Favorite characters are probably Noelle (tsundere!), Vanesssa (hot drunk girl!), and Yami (pooping and sleeping!).

Has some really good OP/EDs so far...hopefully it keeps it up since I haven't disliked any yet.

Asta in the netflix adapatation, lowkey his best representation.

Around the Network

Summer 2018 Anime Summary

Best Guy: Mirio Togata (My Hero Academia - Season 3)

Best Guy (runner-up): Levi Ackerman (Attack on Titan Season 3)

Best Girl: Historia Weiss - Attack on Titan Season 3

Best Girl (runner-up): Chisaki Miyazaki (Yuuna's Haunted Hot Springs)

Best Villain: Kenny Ackerman - Attack on Titan Season 3

Best Ship: Red x White (Cells at Work)

Best Ship (runner-up): Iori x Chisa (Grand Blue Dreaming)

Best Bout: Levi vs. Military Police - Attack on Titan Season 3

Best Comedy: Grand Blue Dreaming

Best OP: Grand Blue - Shonan no Kaze (Grand Blue Dreaming)

Best ED: Akatsuki no Requiem (Requiem der Morgenröte) - Linked Horizon (Attack on Titan - Season 3)

AOTS: Cells at Work

AOTS (runner-up): Grand Blue Dreaming

Overall Thoughts: Pretty good season overall, though outside of adaptations of manga I already read, not a lot really made an impression, as my list shows. Pretty weak season for best boys, considering my top was a character introduced two weeks ago, and didn't really have any ships that had me booming as usual (even with two harem shows surprisingly). Grand Blue and Cells at Work were both hilarious though, and pushed the season at least to satisfactory levels for me.

Of the adaptations, Attack on Titan adapted my favorite character's development arc, which was done well I thought..even if the order of events was shifted strangely. My Hero Academia really stretched this arc, and I really wasn't impressed with the original episodes and awkward filler placement, so this cour falls a bit behind for me. Really hyped for next season though...the upcoming arc is one of my favorites in the manga.

Most Hyped Fall Anime: Jojo's Bizarre Adventure - Golden Wind

Previous 2018 Seasons

Winter 2018

Spring 2018

Summer Anime 2018 Summary

Best Guy: Kirin the Giraffe from Shoujo Kageki Revue Starlight

Best Girl: Daiba Nana - Hoshimi Junna - Tendou Maya - Tsusuyaki Mahiru - Saijou Claudine - Aijou Karen - Kagura Hikari - Hanayagi Kaoruko - Isurugi Futaba from Revue Starlight

Best Villain: Still Yoshikage Kira from Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Diamond is Unbreakable

Best Ship: 

Daiba Nana x Hoshimi Junna

Tendou Maya x Saijou Claudine

Hanayagi Kaoruko x Isurugi Futaba

Aijou Karen x Kagura Hikari

from Revue Starlight

Best Bout:

Best OP: Hoshi no Dialogue from Revue Starlight

Best ED: Fly me to the Stars from Revue Starlight (I'm not going far enough on this to post all 11 versions)

Anime of the season: oof

The space fishing girls anime was awful.  Smartphone apps that download guardian spirits to give your submarine pod special attacks against giant fish?  Submarine pods using giant swords and spears?  Okay, that last part sounds kind of cool but it's really not.  The fishing councilwoman was funny, though, and kind of hot.

The anime about running was okay.  Not a single vagina in the whole damn thing, though.

Saving the bunny girl anime for later.  I read some of the manga but I didn't much care for it.  It was really wordy in a sort of "self-important light-novel" kind of way.  However, that might translate better to anime than manga.

-----------

My character and anime of the season are obvious.  I mean, we're talking an intelligent and cute little blonde who brings over her Playstation for you to borrow.  

Runner up is adorable Pekola-chan, an angel who has lost her halo and now lives a life of poverty.

Last edited by pokoko - on 03 October 2018

I haven't finished all of the Spring animes yet, which means perfect timing to jump into the Fall season. Luckily so far only trash.

That slime anime seems quite intriguing actually but the MC really should be a girl.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

I am so damn ready for Golden Wind. Also, who else simply cannot wait for that fight at the end of AoT's season?