By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Super Official Anime Discussion Thread

VersusEvil said:
My interest in anime is at an all time low, trying to find any motivation to watch anime is hard. Currently down to a single show, Asobe Asobase. Which I just found out is directed by Kishi Seiji (Angel Beats, Assassination Classroom, Yuuki Yuuna) - who is also directing the adaption of the French comic "Radiant" next season, looking forward to that.

Yeah same. My last update was August 1st. I will soon have an update, but I just haven't found the time for anime when I am going for a platinum or playing a new game or working or hanging out with people or watching other things like the NFL. I suppose when it gets cold I will have less motivation to move around so maybe then I will sit back and enjoy some anime.

Around the Network
VersusEvil said:
My interest in anime is at an all time low, trying to find any motivation to watch anime is hard. Currently down to a single show, Asobe Asobase. Which I just found out is directed by Kishi Seiji (Angel Beats, Assassination Classroom, Yuuki Yuuna) - who is also directing the adaption of the French comic "Radiant" next season, looking forward to that.

Makes sense, if you're forcing yourself to enjoy something then you're not really enjoying it. Best to take a break until you're up for it again. It hasn't happened to me in a while, but I'm a routine nut so it's not hard for me to keep up with stuff once it's a normal part of my schedule.

I'm back with a vengeance now...will update the poll soon. Probably.

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

Winner of the Best Mixed Race Character poll is: Mikasa Ackerman from Attack on Titan

And a very close 2nd is: Chitoge Kirisaki from Nisekoi

Good job Chitoge!

New poll: Best Anime Power? Obviously this isn't limited to anime, but since we're in this thread, you might as well reference a character you have in mind. Doesn't need to be from that one superhero anime or that other one...though hopefully it's something more interesting than being an Isekai MC.

Finally time to update.

Golden Kamuy
- One of the best shows of the year. CGI bears be hecked, the rest of the show is just plain awesomeness. Very good characters all around whether they be Protagonist or Antagonist. The main character Sugimoto in particular is quite violent, but he clearly has a soft spot to achieve his main goal. His counterpart is a bit hypocritical in my mind, in that she is ruthless when it comes to animals, but is quite reserved for terrible human beings. The others are all unique and fun in their own way. I feel a bit disappointed in myself for watching this before s2 came out, but luckily I won't have to wait long. Music is well done, humor is well done, action is well done, even the story/plot although a little unbelievable is quite fun. OP was great, ED was meh.

Hinamatsuri
- From the wilds of Hokkaido to Urban Tokyo.  Aside from the creepiness of little girls appearing without any clothes on, this show is also quite well done. For awhile there the show could have been called Anzumatsuri. I really liked the yakuza elements in the show and one particular scene still has me lmao in remembrance. Still a bit odd the superpowers were rare again, I was hoping they would use those superpowers in more comical ways like they did in the beginning with the yakuza sting. The relationships between the girls and regular humans was always quite heartwarming and sometimes comical. Cliffhanger was annoying as well, and the future of this anime series is unstable after apparent failure in Japan. OP and ED were okay.

Devils Line
- Finally we get to the meh anime. From animation to story to music this show always looked meh to me. But sometimes I REALLY have an itch for a meh anime to remind me of why I love the good anime. Still it wasn't that bad, I quite enjoyed a decent bit the more mature themes, but I felt like this show could have been even more mature. Overall was okay but clearly needed more depth to it. OP was good ED was meh.

Farsala said:

Finally time to update.

Golden Kamuy
- One of the best shows of the year. CGI bears be hecked, the rest of the show is just plain awesomeness. Very good characters all around whether they be Protagonist or Antagonist. The main character Sugimoto in particular is quite violent, but he clearly has a soft spot to achieve his main goal. His counterpart is a bit hypocritical in my mind, in that she is ruthless when it comes to animals, but is quite reserved for terrible human beings. The others are all unique and fun in their own way. I feel a bit disappointed in myself for watching this before s2 came out, but luckily I won't have to wait long. Music is well done, humor is well done, action is well done, even the story/plot although a little unbelievable is quite fun. OP was great, ED was meh.

Hinamatsuri
- From the wilds of Hokkaido to Urban Tokyo.  Aside from the creepiness of little girls appearing without any clothes on, this show is also quite well done. For awhile there the show could have been called Anzumatsuri. I really liked the yakuza elements in the show and one particular scene still has me lmao in remembrance. Still a bit odd the superpowers were rare again, I was hoping they would use those superpowers in more comical ways like they did in the beginning with the yakuza sting. The relationships between the girls and regular humans was always quite heartwarming and sometimes comical. Cliffhanger was annoying as well, and the future of this anime series is unstable after apparent failure in Japan. OP and ED were okay.

Devils Line
- Finally we get to the meh anime. From animation to story to music this show always looked meh to me. But sometimes I REALLY have an itch for a meh anime to remind me of why I love the good anime. Still it wasn't that bad, I quite enjoyed a decent bit the more mature themes, but I felt like this show could have been even more mature. Overall was okay but clearly needed more depth to it. OP was good ED was meh.

I've said it before in here but Golden Kamuy is the most original anime in awhile.  It feels like a good Raiders of the Lost Ark action-adventure with comedic elements in the right places and a damn good story.  Easy to see why the manga is so well regarded.

A lot of the Yakuza stuff from the Hinamatsuri manga didn't appear in the anime.  They really roared through the material, I assume to reach the time skip.  I've read speculation that they perhaps skipped over some of the Yakuza material to avoid negative press.  They glossed over the Yakuza boss doting on Hina all the time, too.

Major manga spoiler regarding Hitomi!  Read at your own risk!  Guess who grows up to be a key figure in the esper program that created Hina and the others?

Around the Network

I'm way behind because of Hurricane Florence so I ended up watching two episodes of High Score Girl back to back.  If I had any reservations before about it being the anime of the season, they're all gone now.  It's just so good and one of the best anime of the year.

It's kind of amazing how they'll have an episode that focuses on Ohno and it makes me think how awesome she is, then they'll have an episode that focuses on Hidaka and it makes me think how awesome she is.  These aren't people just floating through life, they're kids who are growing up and moving in their own directions.  Nothing is forced or overly cliched.  

Hidaka is just a wonderful character, though.  She's the "good girl" but that's just a starting point.  After not seeing the main character for a while, the way she absolutely OWNS him at arcade games was SO GREAT!  It's such an interesting dynamic.  The former button-mashing girl hits a Perfect on the cocky gamer right off the bat.  Could she possibly be on the same level as her rival?  The end of episode 10 made me squeal in anticipation.

Really interesting to see the main character throw his support behind the Sega Saturn.  Hidaka, being the smart girl that she is, rides with Playstation.

Man, Cells at Work sure escalated quickly. @_@ The finale can't come soon enough.

Also, a head wound eh...I wonder if my crazy theory that these cells are actually inside Yoshikage Kira was on point.

Seems like I have a lot of 13 episode anime this season, only show of mine's that ended so far is the Demon Lord one. Good might be a strong word, but it was fine I guess. Way too many naked lolis though, damn.

I'm just gonna have to read the Hanebado manga.  We have a main character who is a complete jerk when in competitive mode and appears to be on the edge of a breakdown, a mother who abandoned her daughter to "push her to the next level", and a rival who is actually a good person that just wants to be accepted.  There is no way this is all going to be resolved in one episode.  

I just really like the way everything has been set up.  It's like the main character is the antagonist, not the protagonist.  At the same time, though, it's not hard to understand where she's coming from and hope that she can keep from falling to pieces.

Anime related.  Anime related!

Whoa, the manga for Hanebado is a lot different.  The order of events, things happening in the anime that didn't happen in the manga, people saying stuff in the anime that they didn't say in the manga, even the overall feel and attitude of important characters.  It has more comedy, too, and is moving a LOT faster in the early going.

This Ayano is more cute, mousey, childish, and shy.  If she becomes anything like the Ayano of the anime, it will be an even bigger transformation.  

Also, her first meeting with Connie is completely different.  The vibe is the total opposite, in fact, which is a surprise.  

Latest High Score Girl played the boot up sequence for the PS1. That really took me back in time. They played Tekken. The Sega fanboy main character couldn't resist.