By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Super Official Anime Discussion Thread

i have now Haikyu on blu rays :) And my friend the Cowboy Bebop Blu Ray-Box !!!! I'm very happy, looks amazing = )
And pre order Ni No Kuni 2 for january = )

Around the Network

Gonna be getting a funimation plan for a year. Is the dubbed worth it compared to the Japanese/sub only?

Aeolus451 said:
Gonna be getting a funimation plan for a year. Is the dubbed worth it compared to the Japanese/sub only?

Depends if you like dubbed, all there is to it. For big shows I think they do a great job, but a few smaller shows often suffer.

Farsala said:
Aeolus451 said:

Depends if you like dubbed, all there is to it. For big shows I think they do a great job, but a few smaller shows often suffer.

Is there any anime/content that's exclusive to the dubbed plan that can't be watched on the subbed plan? 

Aeolus451 said:
Farsala said:

Is there any anime/content that's exclusive to the dubbed plan that can't be watched on the subbed plan? 

Just dubbed shows? Subs almost always come out before dubs, though sometimes they have same day dubs.

Around the Network
Farsala said:
Aeolus451 said:

Just dubbed shows? Subs almost always come out before dubs, though sometimes they have same day dubs.

No, I was wanting to know if they only have some anime as dubbed and not available on the subbed only plan. I don't really care about watching anime dubbed or not. It's not a strong selling point for me. I was just making sure because I'm about to get the annual subscription. 

Is the vids buffering some while you're watching it normal while using the PS4 app?

Aeolus451 said:

No, I was wanting to know if they only have some anime as dubbed and not available on the subbed only plan. I don't really care about watching anime dubbed or not. It's not a strong selling point for me. I was just making sure because I'm about to get the annual subscription. 

Is the vids buffering some while you're watching it normal while using the PS4 app?

I don't think there are many subbed anime on Funimation that aren't on the basic package, if any at all. I remember trying to watch the Psycho Pass movie there one time, and didn't have access to it, but looking again it looks like it only has a link to buy the DVD anyway, premium or not.

I'm really not a fan of the service though. The website is slow as hell, and the app isn't much better. Last anime I watched through the PS4 app, it constantly defaulted me to the dubbed version every episode (apparently I'm a premium member without realizing it...not sure how that happened), and the captioning on the subbed episodes looked like Closed Captioning on cable TV, with an annoying black box and generic white font that lagged behind the dialogue by like a second, which just ruined certain comedy scenes. It really feels like they gimp their subbed anime to the point where people feel forced to watch dubs.

I'm probably going to cancel my Funi subscription and switch to Amazon Strike. Not that I can't afford all three (including Crunchyroll), just don't see any value in keeping subs I never use, and every Funimation anime I care about is on Crunchyroll now anyway. Seems like Strike is being more aggressive lately with picking up certain shows.

-------------------------

Anyways...new poll on Friday. If you have an idea for a poll let me know...otherwise I'll come up with something ramdom.

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

Super_Boom said:
Aeolus451 said:

I don't think there are many subbed anime on Funimation that aren't on the basic package, if any at all. I remember trying to watch the Psycho Pass movie there one time, and didn't have access to it, but looking again it looks like it only has a link to buy the DVD anyway, premium or not.

I'm really not a fan of the service though. The website is slow as hell, and the app isn't much better. Last anime I watched through the PS4 app, it constantly defaulted me to the dubbed version every episode (apparently I'm a premium member without realizing it...not sure how that happened), and the captioning on the subbed episodes looked like Closed Captioning on cable TV, with an annoying black box and generic white font that lagged behind the dialogue by like a second, which just ruined certain comedy scenes. It really feels like they gimp their subbed anime to the point where people feel forced to watch dubs.

I'm probably going to cancel my Funi subscription and switch to Amazon Strike. Not that I can't afford all three (including Crunchyroll), just don't see any value in keeping subs I never use, and every Funimation anime I care about is on Crunchyroll now anyway. Seems like Strike is being more aggressive lately with picking up certain shows.

-------------------------

Anyways...new poll on Friday. If you have an idea for a poll let me know...otherwise I'll come up with something ramdom.

Hmmm Never heard of amazon strike. I might check it out. I think I'll just sub to funimation for a few months to watch everything available that I want then leave it while staying subbed to crunchyroll for the new stuff. Funimation's app is already annoying me with it's UI, not being able to use R2 to skip to the back of the queue, overall sluggishness and buffering while I'm watching anime. 

Well, it took some time, but I finally finished Mononoke. Although the art style isn't my usual preference, I did find it to be a very enjoyable, fascinating and unique watch. Despite what I said about the artsyle, it is the most interesting thing about the anime, with its interesting color choices, textures that have the look of something similar to construction paper and a world that feels like the style of old Japanese works. It's definitely great how everything is stylized down to the raindrops and flakes of snow. It also has a interesting blend of horror, mystery and supernatual, which makes for an interesting watch of a mystery solving mononoke slaying medicine vender, haha. Definitely enjoyed it.

As for the next anime, I'm currently watching Little Witch Academia, which so far I am enjoying a whole lot. I have a hard time stopping myself from watching more xD

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread