By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Super Official Anime Discussion Thread

Welcome Back! There was a lot of awesome animes in the Summer Season (best season imo) so i don't know if you've been tracking it but theres a lot to look forward.

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
Versus_Evil said:

A newish site (I think) who will be massive soon. Ad free, 1080p streams, free! And their app is very good.

Yet... you still think they are legal?

Daisuki is a Japanese website focused on streaming anime content, which was founded in 2013 by Asatsu-DK and six anime studios, Toei AnimationAniplexSunriseTMS Entertainment,Nihon Ad Systems, and Dentsu.  (Wikipedia)

Some interesting names up there.  Sunrise and Toei involvement could make this big, Aniplex is Sony, and Asatsu-DK is a large Japanese advertising firm that owns Eiken.  Dentsu is an even bigger advertising firm and owns Geneon Entertainment.

Versus_Evil said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Daisuki? Who dat?

A newish site (I think) who will be massive soon. Ad free, 1080p streams, free! And their app is very good.

Does the app work on consoles or just pc/mobile?

Tried the android app first time today, seems to work fine

Ka-pi96 said:
pokoko said:

Daisuki is a Japanese website focused on streaming anime content, which was founded in 2013 by Asatsu-DK and six anime studios, Toei AnimationAniplexSunriseTMS Entertainment,Nihon Ad Systems, and Dentsu.  (Wikipedia)

Some interesting names up there.  Sunrise and Toei involvement could make this big, Aniplex is Sony, and Asatsu-DK is a large Japanese advertising firm that owns Eiken.  Dentsu is an even bigger advertising firm and owns Geneon Entertainment.

Begs the question where do they get their revenue from though.

"You can buy limited DAISUKI products and official products all anime fans want!

When you’re watching anime, don’t you ever wish you could make the character your own?

At DAISUKI, we have a variety of anime products that can only be found here!

You can watch anime, and buy anime products whenever you want!

New limited DAISUKI products are coming out soon!

They’re products you can only get here at the official website. The products are sure to excite the collector in you!"

I could be wrong but it seems like they want us to buy anime products from their online store.  That's the impression I'm getting.  In fact, they seem very excited about that possibility.

Let's see, I'll take ...

and

Around the Network

So the shows themselves are the ads..for merchandise
Cool stuff but not sure if it'll sustain itself in the long run
Also, Sony's involvement explains why Daisuki got God eater I guess

Ka-pi96 said:

Ya know, just for once I'd love to see an anime studio try and make money based on viewership. European & American shows make money that way so I can't see why anime studios couldn't. Surely airing the anime at a decent time and not something like 2am, having a Netflix like streaming service or even something like youtube where they get their revenue through ads and selling dvds/blu rays at a reasonable price to maximise their sales doesn't sound a bad way of making money to me. Sounds easier than relying on wealthy collectors buying all the figurines and massively overpriced dvds, doesn't it?

Japanese-centric companies often struggle to understand that what works in Japan often doesn't work in other regions.  That's why it took so long to get anime into a viable industry in the west.  That's why a lot of the ventures by Japanese companies into the rest of the world have been failures.  The anime industry over here is littered with them.  First, it was trying to convince them that they wanted too much for the publishing rights when the industry was still small, then it was trying to convince them that super expensive VHS tapes and then DVDs weren't going to sell like they did in Japan.  That backbone of super-otaku culture they depended on over there didn't really exist over here.  

When I started watching anime, the only legal method to watch was to buy ultra-expensive physical media.  Most anime fans traded VHS tapes online or ordered tapes from fansub distros.  Every step of the way it seems like the Japanese have struggled against anime succeeding in the west.  It's been a difficult journey to get to where we are now.  The best thing that ever happened to anime companies relative to this market was the explosion of fansubs, which many of them tried to shut down from the start.

Ka-pi96 said:

Does it even work in Japan though? I've heard a lot recently about how bad a situation the anime industry is in and the fairly small number of shows that actually make it past the 1st season isn't exactly an encouraging sign either.

Well, most anime itself makes nothing in Japan when it airs.  It comes on at midnight or later and the viewership numbers are low.  It's there to boost the manga, sell the DVD sets, and push the character goods.  It's extremely otaku-culture dependent.  

Do you guys ever notice a stigma when it comes to admitting to others that you watch anime? Almost everyone I know watches it; whether that be big bodybuilders, my professors, bikers, nerds, paramedics etc etc. But whenever myself or my roommates tell some people that we watch and love anime they say "but you don't look like a weeaboo otaku!" Or "but you're pretty, you can't like anime".

Then we laugh at them and hang AoT posters and use anime characters for Halloween down with the stigma!

#1 Amb-ass-ador

Versus_Evil said:
Aeolus451 said:

Does the app work on consoles or just pc/mobile?

Just PC and Mobile, I would love a console app tho.

Thanks for letting us know about that site.