By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony: EA Access Doesn't "Represent Good Value To The PlayStation Gamer"

bevochan said:
I certainly would pay $30 yearly to play Madden, but EA isn't putting the newest Madden on EA access. It's seems like the sports games are a year or 2 older. You can buy a previous year sports game for $10 or less

The Xbox One isn't even a year old yet, how could the games be 2 years?

Around the Network
GamechaserBE said:

Indeed, giving the consumers more options is an anti-consumer business. 

Anyway not giving away new games and discounts on purchases is not so good for 30$ a year

But not giving away new games and discount for 50$ (PS+) is good right ^^'? 

Then we are not even talking about the advantage that people know what they will get for 30$ a year but not with ps plus for 50$ a year..

If you can stop for a second and stop making this a sony vs. thing then you may understand where I am coming from.

We are talking games and discounts here. Thats basiclly what this service does right? PS+ is doing it, XBL is doing it and now EA access.

Again, games and discounts.

I am sorry, I would rather pay $50 and get "games and discounts" from every publisher as it is now rather than pay on a publisher by publishr basis. Cause if this thing takes off, next thing you know ubisoft has theirs, activision, take 2...etc. Before you know what more and more vlue will be leveraged behind these "services" to the point where not paying for it would seem stupid......

So no, down the road I don't see how this is good value. I don't see why adding yet another service to do something that a service is already in place to do is a good thing especially when it reduces the value of the already existing service. Be it PS+ or XBL. 

bevochan said:
I certainly would pay $30 yearly to play Madden, but EA isn't putting the newest Madden on EA access. It's seems like the sports games are a year or 2 older. You can buy a previous year sports game for $10 or less

What? Which is the newest Madden then? Which game is 2 years old? And what about early access and 10% discount?

Ssenkahdavic said:

Sony might be right. It's not really a great value now. If they bring it over in a year or two, with more games available it would be a great value.

All depending on EA and what they decide to offer.

The consumers should decide if its a great value. $30 a year for access to games valued over $100 is a bad deal?

It seems to many Sony just doesn't like competition.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

There is something about this statement and the idea about EA Access that seems a little off. Only on Xbox One is fine, it's great for those that feel this will be of value but for Sony to say it's not good for consumers makes me thing something else is going on.

For example, when a game sells (hard copy or download) some of the money from that sale goes to Sony, MS or Nintendo for the 'right' to have the game on their system. Me thinks that this service bypasses that income, while MS happy to let EA do this on their system because they are mostly rolling in money and want more people to use the system anyway. Sony on the other hand might not be as willing to let that extra income go. While in the case of PS+, the companies that make the games get a cost for putting the game on PS+, EA might not be giving any income to Sony for using their system for this service.

So while it hasn't been explained how the income in made, if Sony don't make any from the service being on their machine, why bother, especially when the games are out there to purchase anyway, just in hard for or download from the store.

I doubt all this though... maybe they really don't think it's good value.

Hmm, pie.

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
Ssenkahdavic said:

Sony might be right. It's not really a great value now. If they bring it over in a year or two, with more games available it would be a great value.

All depending on EA and what they decide to offer.

The consumers should decide if its a great value. $30 a year for access to games valued over $100 is a bad deal?

It seems to many Sony just doesn't like competition.

No company likes competition, of course. Consumers are the ones who should enforce competition.

Uhhh....PS+ already gives discounts on games and DLC, full game trials, and free games per month. And it's pretty across the board (meaning, EA games included). Why would you want a publisher specific subscription? What if it blows up? Then there's gonna be an "Activision Access" and "Ubisoft Access" and "Capcom Access". Then there won't be a "point" to PS+...which already does the things that EA Access is going to do.

Yea, it's just PR spin here. No way is the option to have it "not representing a good value", but from a business standpoint, it makes no sense to have a subscription model compete with their own...on their own platform. And it would really undermine all the strides they have made to make PS+ what it is today, because if people start saying EA Access > PS+ (and other publishers follow suit), then PS+ will just revert to "paying to play online" which is something that, in other words, "doesn't represent a good value to the Playstation gamer" because for years, free online is something we've liked and with the PS4, if we have to pay for online, at least we get something in return.

If the only value in PS+ is only to play online, and not the free games, discounts, betas, trials, etc. it'll be just as bad as XBL was before Sony made MS change their tune. That's not good for the Playstation gamer.

I'd rather pay $50 and get free games, discounts, trials, etc. from several publishers, and still get my online....than have to choose between either embracing the "value" of EA Access, and forgoing online.....or spending $60 on XBL and forgoing the discounts, game trials, etc. You need to spend $90 to get both. $50 vs. $90. Which amount sounds better in terms of what you're getting? $50 for online, free games (from several companies), discounts (on games from several companies), full game trials (on games from several company), etc. vs. $90 for online, free games (from several companies), discounts (on EA games), early access (on EA games), etc.

I'll take $50 for everybody over $90 for EA only, every day of the week.

The Fury said:

There is something about this statement and the idea about EA Access that seems a little off. Only on Xbox One is fine, it's great for those that feel this will be of value but for Sony to say it's not good for consumers makes me thing something else is going on.

For example, when a game sells (hard copy or download) some of the money from that sale goes to Sony, MS or Nintendo for the 'right' to have the game on their system. Me thinks that this service bypasses that income, while MS happy to let EA do this on their system because they are mostly rolling in money and want more people to use the system anyway. Sony on the other hand might not be as willing to let that extra income go. While in the case of PS+, the companies that make the games get a cost for putting the game on PS+, EA might not be giving any income to Sony for using their system for this service.

So while it hasn't been explained how the income in made, if Sony don't make any from the service being on their machine, why bother, especially when the games are out there to purchase anyway, just in hard for or download from the store.

I doubt all this though... maybe they really don't think it's good value.

Not quiet like that. $60 game. Sony/MS gets ~$15 for royalties, Reatiler gets ~$15 and Publisher gets ~$30. 

If the third party game has certain exclusivity benefits, then sony/ms either pays up front for it or reduces how much they take on royalties per game giving more to the publisher. 

If you are looking at store based exclusivity, like what you see with gamestop/amazon pre-order bonuses, the store takes less money from selling the game giving more back to the publisher.

If you are looking at a system where the publisher has the consumer already pay a service charge, then thats not the business of sony/ms. They still get whatthey get for the ame being on their platform. The publisher is the one that now stands to make less from each game sale. But in the case of EA here, they are hoping that this will expose more people to their games and ultimately boost the sales of their games.

well.. the difference between gamestop and ea access is.. at the end of the day.. you OWN your game, which you could resell, trade, give away, or continue playing it as long as you have your disc(s). as for ea access.. it's a one shop all done ordeal.. you don't OWN your game, you wouldn't be able to resell, trade, or give away.. and the game itself could easily be taken away when EA decides to, or rendered useless when taken out of the vault when EA decides to.

As a gamer, it's alarming how quickly people are willing to not to want to own their own gaming purchases/content. I can continue to play basically every game I've ever purchased not tied to internet connectivity and will still be able to far into future even if new consoles come out.. i will never lose the ability to play that game as long as my console doesn't go kaputz. In the GAF threads, people are already talking about trading in their physical copies of EA games because of the subs.. problem is, they owned the game, which they can continue to play well into the future should they choose to.. but, now they are basically "renting" the same game they previously owned, but now with no ownership and no idea of how long such a title will remain in the vault. they are at the mercy of EA.

Look.. there is some value there.. i'm not blind.. but some of those titles in the vault are annualized titles and many are already getting new iterations here within the next month or so. People talk about what a great value it is to be playing those older iterations, but so many of those titles re-playability lies within multiplayer.. which you will still need XBL Gold for. Not to mention, it remains to be seen what kind of games will be put in the vault.. Titanfall wasn't for a reason.. I'm not expecting many high profile games or SP experiences will either. It's funny because many people in the GAF thread and even here in VGC talks about "can't wait to get their hands on Dragon Age, Madden 15, Fifa 15, Titanfall, etc.. and only for $30 a year!" not understanding that EA Access is for a backlog of older titles only.. They will eventually get the Maddens, Fifa, etc.. but probably only after 6-9 months or a few months before the release of new iterations. Which isn't bad.. but more than likely, by that point, a huge chunk of the MP community will already be gone or game will no longer be that relevant as the release into the vault would typically mean sales have dropped to the point where the game could be found in the bargain bin.

don't want to get all negative nancy, but it's hard to find value in this other than access to a backlog of older annualized games. the 5 day before retail release, 10% discount, and the sub being optional is the only plus i'm seeing thus far.

my 2 cent.

Man.. I hate it when your girl has to leave my place to come back to you..

Intrinsic said:
GamechaserBE said:

Indeed, giving the consumers more options is an anti-consumer business. 

Anyway not giving away new games and discounts on purchases is not so good for 30$ a year

But not giving away new games and discount for 50$ (PS+) is good right ^^'? 

Then we are not even talking about the advantage that people know what they will get for 30$ a year but not with ps plus for 50$ a year..

If you can stop for a second and stop making this a sony vs. thing then you may understand where I am coming from.

We are talking games and discounts here. Thats basiclly what this service does right? PS+ is doing it, XBL is doing it and now EA access.

Again, games and discounts.

I am sorry, I would rather pay $50 and get "games and discounts" from every publisher as it is now rather than pay on a publisher by publishr basis. Cause if this thing takes off, next thing you know ubisoft has theirs, activision, take 2...etc. Before you know what more and more vlue will be leveraged behind these "services" to the point where not paying for it would seem stupid......

So no, down the road I don't see how this is good value. I don't see why adding yet another service to do something that a service is already in place to do is a good thing especially when it reduces the value of the already existing service. Be it PS+ or XBL.

I only said it because it is a playstation representative who were known befoer to say PS plus is good value and so compare it with EA access...

And what you say is what I exactly said before, you rather pay 50$ for getting games/Discounts that you don't know witch one exact will be..

Than pay 30$ for games and discounts that you know witch one it will be from the start...