By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony: EA Access Doesn't "Represent Good Value To The PlayStation Gamer"

jlmurph2 said:
BMaker11 said:
irstupid said:
To those saying it is bad for the industry is this works out.

Why?

Lets name some big Publishers, or has already been said Ubisoft, EA, Activision, ect.

Lets say there is 4 companies doing this. That's ONLY $120. The price of ONLY 2 games.

For that price I get the entire BACKLOG of all that companies games.
Hell I'd be fine not owning a new game ever. Just pay my $120 a year and play whatever huge catalog of games is available for free.

Sounds like an awesome idea imo. I mean hell I pay like $120 a year for Netflix. This would basically be like Netflix for video games. Obviously not the new releases, but I can wait 6 months.

It's funny how in the 4 years since PS+'s inception, PS gamers have been saying "it pays for itself" with giving out IGC games and Xbox gamers have said "it's not worth it"....now you get a similar service by way of paying a subscription and getting tons of games, and you all love it, it's "worth it", it totally pays for itself because the games cover the price, and you like "renting" games now (you all used to hate "renting" games, as you'd rather own them...until the rules of XBone GwG and now EA Access have come out).

Sheesh

So does this mean you're against renting now? Cuz the roles sure do seem to have flipped in this thread. Wouldn't you PS+ guys be the first ones to understand why we like it.

No, I'm not against renting, I'm just kinda chuckling about how you guys were adamantly against it before, but have fallen in love with it now. And I don't think any kind of roles have flipped in this thread. Nobody is saying EA Access is bad because you get a catalogue of games, discounts, etc. They're just saying because they already have a catalogue of games, discounts, etc. so EA Access is "meh" to them.

Around the Network
irstupid said:
BMaker11 said:
irstupid said:

Why?

Lets name some big Publishers, or has already been said Ubisoft, EA, Activision, ect.

Lets say there is 4 companies doing this. That's ONLY $120. The price of ONLY 2 games.

Hell I'd be fine not owning a new game ever. Just pay my $120 a year and play whatever huge catalog of games is available for free.

Sounds like an awesome idea imo. I mean hell I pay like $120 a year for Netflix. This would basically be like Netflix for video games. Obviously not the new releases, but I can wait 6 months.

It's funny how in the 4 years since PS+'s inception, PS gamers have been saying "it pays for itself" with giving out IGC games and Xbox gamers have said "it's not worth it"....now you get a similar service by way of paying a subscription and getting tons of games, and you all love it, it's "worth it", it totally pays for itself because the games cover the price, and you like "renting" games now (you all used to hate "renting" games, as you'd rather own them...until the rules of XBone GwG and now EA Access have come out).

Sheesh

I don't have PS+ or Gold.  Have never had either.  Never paid for online gaming ever, besides MMO's on PC.  So I could be wrong on how they work.  But here is how I believe it is.

If i buy PS+ today my catalog of FREE games is ZERO.  I have no free games.  Now each month I have it they will start giving me free games (whatever game they decide, not me) and that goes into my catalog of games.  If i quit PS+ for a while and come back my catalog is still there of games, but again I get NONE of the games that were given out while I was away.  

Same scenerio roughly for Gold Games on XBOX.  

So YOU guys who keep saying how many free games you got and how great a deal it is ect.  It's for a long term person.  For me who would be joining TODAY.  I have nothing and am waiting.  I don't get Uncharterd 2 or whatever Uncharted/s were given away fro free.  I can't instantly start playing Infamous for free.

Now this EA Access thing sounds like as soon as I sign up I have INSTANT access to the entire Vault that EVERYONE else has.  Doesn't matter if I have been a member for 3 years or 3 minutes.  I get access to the same games as everyone else.  If I leave for a while and come back I get access again to the ENTIRE vault.  No missing anything.  

now sure these games will be older.  Say Fifa 14, when Fifa 15 is out, or Madden 2015 when the football season is over, ect.  (just used sports games for reference, there are other genres)  But for just $5 in one month I get to basically rent EVERY SINGLE game EA has made except their brand new games.  That sounds like a great deal.  Hell if I have friends over I quickly buy the $5 thing and bam we can play any sports game we want.  No needing to go to redbox or something and deciding what game we shoudl rent.  

This is things PS+ and Gold as far as I know don't have.  Instant Access to all that EVERYONE else has.  People who have been PS+ members for many years now of course think its the second coming becuase they have like 100 free games and there has to be some that are good.  Meanwhile me joining Today has NOTHING.  

Pretty good point there. 

BMaker11 said:
jlmurph2 said:
BMaker11 said:

Sheesh

So does this mean you're against renting now? Cuz the roles sure do seem to have flipped in this thread. Wouldn't you PS+ guys be the first ones to understand why we like it.

No, I'm not against renting, I'm just kinda chuckling about how you guys were adamantly against it before, but have fallen in love with it now. And I don't think any kind of roles have flipped in this thread. Nobody is saying EA Access is bad because you get a catalogue of games, discounts, etc. They're just saying because they already have a catalogue of games, discounts, etc. so EA Access is "meh" to them.

Since this is an 8th gen exclusive service, it seems pretty up there compared to the PS+ and GWG offerings. I have yet to see a AAA game yet.

irstupid said:

I don't have PS+ or Gold.  Have never had either.  Never paid for online gaming ever, besides MMO's on PC.  So I could be wrong on how they work.  But here is how I believe it is.

If i buy PS+ today my catalog of FREE games is ZERO.  I have no free games.  Now each month I have it they will start giving me free games (whatever game they decide, not me) and that goes into my catalog of games.  If i quit PS+ for a while and come back my catalog is still there of games, but again I get NONE of the games that were given out while I was away.  

So YOU guys who keep saying how many free games you got and how great a deal it is ect.  It's for a long term person.  For me who would be joining TODAY.  I have nothing and am waiting.  I don't get Uncharterd 2 or whatever Uncharted/s were given away fro free.  I can't instantly start playing Infamous for free.

Now this EA Access thing sounds like as soon as I sign up I have INSTANT access to the entire Vault that EVERYONE else has.  Doesn't matter if I have been a member for 3 years or 3 minutes.  I get access to the same games as everyone else.  If I leave for a while and come back I get access again to the ENTIRE vault.  No missing anything.  

now sure these games will be older.  Say Fifa 14, when Fifa 15 is out, or Madden 2015 when the football season is over, ect.  (just used sports games for reference, there are other genres)  But for just $5 in one month I get to basically rent EVERY SINGLE game EA has made except their brand new games.  That sounds like a great deal.  Hell if I have friends over I quickly buy the $5 thing and bam we can play any sports game we want.  No needing to go to redbox or something and deciding what game we shoudl rent.  

This is things PS+ and Gold as far as I know don't have.  Instant Access to all that EVERYONE else has.  People who have been PS+ members for many years now of course think its the second coming becuase they have like 100 free games and there has to be some that are good.  Meanwhile me joining Today has NOTHING.  

Actually, if you signed up for PS+ right now, you'd have access to Towerfall Ascension, Strider, Dead Space 3, Vessel, Muramasa Rebirth, and Doki Doki Universe and the "Last Chance" doesn't happen until the next PS+ update the following month (so at one point, you have access to 12 games). The moment I got PS+, I had access to everything on the IGC. 

But you're right, if you leave for a time, you don't get to download games in the meantime. But I could simply counter with the fact that there's so many 1-week trials available from several sources, you could just sign up (for free), just put the IGC games in your queue (don't even have to download them), and then when you fully subscribe some time down the line....they're yours again. 

And you guys keep saying "blah blah blah PS+ games are random".....do you think they're going to add every EA game on at once? No? Well then, month to month, it'll be random, or as you say "whatever game they decide, not me". But the fact that they're already tweeting out that "you'll get notifications when we take down games" (kinda like the "Last Chance" emails you get for PS+) leads me to believe that at some point, games will leave the service. So even the "I don't get to instantly play Uncharted" is a moot point.

irstupid said:
BMaker11 said:
irstupid said:

Why?

Sheesh

WRONG

PS+ has something called 'The Instant Game Collection'. That means that when you join, you IMMEDIATELY get to download all of the games in that collection, as well as the monthly games. Montly games come and go, but the instant game collection remains. Off the top of my head at the moment it's got Uncharted Vita and Sly 4 in it I think.

Anyway, to those supporting EA Access - it's a terrible idea. And I say this as a PS+ subscriber and fan. Why? Because where does it end? First EA, then Ubisoft, Activision, Capcom... before you know it, you're spending half or even 75% of your yearly gaming budget on subscriptions and not buying any new games. In ten or 15 years down the line, and all your subs have long since lapsed, what have you got? Nothing. A subscription service like PS+ is fine as an addition but when every games company wants to do it, it's too much.

The real casualty will be smaller games. How are new IPs and big new games supposed to break through when people are just playing whatever EA (or whoever) decide you should play in your subscription? Noone will go to the store and take a chance on a new title, they'll just play what they're given.

I don't like this current industry direction which removes all notions of ownership, either.

My Blog, Please Have A Read:

http://Proseandconsoles.blogspot.com

Around the Network

This is just to squash competition and I really don't mind it. I can't remember the last EA game I played anyways.

jlmurph2 said:
bevochan said:
I certainly would pay $30 yearly to play Madden, but EA isn't putting the newest Madden on EA access. It's seems like the sports games are a year or 2 older. You can buy a previous year sports game for $10 or less

The Xbox One isn't even a year old yet, how could the games be 2 years?

That was more of a generalization when I said a year or 2.  But definitely not the current year Madden or Fifa or etc.  There is no way that EA would put the newest Madden or Fifa on EA access because then you would only pay the $5 monthly instead of $60 for each game to play those games.  That makes no sense for EA.  I could see those game on EA access at earliest after the season ends, or right before the newest version comes out.

Wiped said:

WRONG

PS+ has something called 'The Instant Game Collection'. That means that when you join, you IMMEDIATELY get to download all of the games in that collection, as well as the monthly games. Montly games come and go, but the instant game collection remains. Off the top of my head at the moment it's got Uncharted Vita and Sly 4 in it I think.

Anyway, to those supporting EA Access - it's a terrible idea. And I say this as a PS+ subscriber and fan. Why? Because where does it end? First EA, then Ubisoft, Activision, Capcom... before you know it, you're spending half or even 75% of your yearly gaming budget on subscriptions and not buying any new games. In ten or 15 years down the line, and all your subs have long since lapsed, what have you got? Nothing. A subscription service like PS+ is fine as an addition but when every games company wants to do it, it's too much.

The real casualty will be smaller games. How are new IPs and big new games supposed to break through when people are just playing whatever EA (or whoever) decide you should play in your subscription? Noone will go to the store and take a chance on a new title, they'll just play what they're given.

I don't like this current industry direction which removes all notions of ownership, either.

Um.. No.. "Instant Game Collection" is the free monthly games available on PS+. Not a bunch of games plus the monthly games.. What changed is now its JUST monthly games, and not ones that are a few months at a time(some games stayed, while others went)..  Where you could often get a 3-4 titles for PS3 and Vita.. Starting in June.. it was JUST 2 titles per platform and that is it..  PS Vita, PS3, PS4..  6 games in total.. 2 per platform..   

There is no collection of games you get PLUS the monthly offerings.. it's just the monthly games.

XBLive: cpg716     PSN ID: cpg716  Steam: Luv4Tech77

Predictions on 12/01/15 - Generation 8 Totals:

PS4: 85-95m
X1: 55-65m
WiiU: 20-30m

Wiped said:
irstupid said:
BMaker11 said:
irstupid said:

Why?

Sheesh

WRONG

the more I hear about this PS+ actually works, it sounds like the two are more and more alike.

And I already said before but I'd be totally game for paying each BIG publisher $30 a year for their catalog of games like Netflix.  I mean hell the price of 3 games PLUS TAX is like $200.  That would be like 7 different publishers you are subscribed to.  

Pretty sure I would much rather have whatever giant catalog having subscriptions to 7 different publishers would offer me versus have 3 games NEW.  Especially how pathetic new games are content wise.  If you aren't a multiplayer fanatic there is like zero reason to ever buy new.  

1. DLC comes out really quick that practically doubles the game (unless multiplayer dlc)

2. Most games drop price to like 50% in like 2 months, if even that long.  It's rediculous how quickly prices drop on big name games.  

So would I hate spending $100-$200 in subscriptions and getting full access to all sports games, all assassins creed games, battlefield, dragon age, ect. ect. ect. You can bet your ass i would.  I would save a shit ton of money if they did it this way.  

Only ones that I see as not liking this are the people who want the next FPS game on day 1 so they can start doing whatever it is that they love doing for 1000's of online matches.  

Since this thread is STILL going strong I see I will just say what I said again. It is better to just wait and see how this plays out because NONE OF US have enough information on this service to make an accurate judgement on it. We have NO idea how this will all work out. So until then how about we just chill and see how things plays out

The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence...

PSN: StlUzumaki23