By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Gamestop to roll out a credit card with really high interest rate

OmegaRed421 said:

I hope this isn't true...I already have to ask about too many services when someone make a purchase..."Do you want the Game Protection Guarantee, no okay, Would you like to sign up for our Pro Benefits card, no okay, would you like to sign up up for our credit card, how about a pre-order for Destiny? PLEASE at least say yes to the free basic power card....". FML

Yea, I often just tell them to skip on that pitch, not interested in anything but the purchase. I have been shopping at the same gamestop for over 12 years now, so I only get asked that by new employees. 

Around the Network
cannonballZ said:
CladInShadows said:
Like any rewards card, if you pay it off as soon as you use it, you get nothing but benefits. If you don't have that kind of control over your money, then steer clear of it.

If you have the money to pay it off then why use a credit card in the first place?

I don't think the benefits of using the gamestop card will be worth it. If you're a power up member you get points, the same points they will give you for using the credit card. Those points are worthless for the most part, to get anything worth value you must have like 20k+ points. 

I agree with stearing clear, even if you do have control over your spending habbits.

There is little reason not to use a credit card if you have control over your spending habits and have the money to pay it off.

As others have mentioned, there are the benefits of bolstering your credit rating, cashback/rewards, and (probably the most important one of all) security for your money. You have no security carrying around cash and usually not much more carrying around a loaded debit card.

And - if needed - you can use it for rare unexpected emergency expenses if you're sure you can pay it off at the end of the month/are willing to take some interest.
Also, try Amazon. :P (You won't get any extra point rewards for spending there though!)

cannonballZ said:
Mystro-Sama said:

Why do still shop at Gamestop? lol

Amazon is miles better.

I guess out of habit, I have been getting my games there since ps2/gamecube era. Most of my friends tell me the same thing, just shop on Amazon! I may look into that soon. I have never purchased anything on ebay or Amazon though.

Theres really nothing to look into lol

Just make an account, buy a game, and play it when it comes to your house. You can even sell your games there too for better rates.

Can't wait to get harassed about this thing too

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

daredevil.shark said:
Personal opinion.

I really dislike the culture of "credit card" or borrowing money. Many of my friends are using is without any caution. I havent taken any credit card and will not take it ever. I do remember a salesman of a local bank who used to come in my office frequently. His flattering made me sick and I refused him politely. Japan is only developed nation that has lower usage of credit card. I do like them. I wish most people acted like Japanese people.

Gamestop is planning to suck out more from gamers especially teenagers. From a small pawn shop they have created an empire by exploiting people. It wont last forever.

@bolded- I dislike it as well. I have steered clear of any credit cards for over 14 years. I had one when I was 18 and got rid of it in less than a year. 

Around the Network
cannonballZ said:
daredevil.shark said:
Personal opinion.

I really dislike the culture of "credit card" or borrowing money. Many of my friends are using is without any caution. I havent taken any credit card and will not take it ever. I do remember a salesman of a local bank who used to come in my office frequently. His flattering made me sick and I refused him politely. Japan is only developed nation that has lower usage of credit card. I do like them. I wish most people acted like Japanese people.

Gamestop is planning to suck out more from gamers especially teenagers. From a small pawn shop they have created an empire by exploiting people. It wont last forever.

@bolded- I dislike it as well. I have steered clear of any credit cards for over 14 years. I had one when I was 18 and got rid of it in less than a year. 

I know its not easy to avoid credit card in a country like USA. So you have my respect. Kudos.

I never understood why people in the US bought from Gamestop stores.

In the UK it is FAR cheaper to actually buy games from online retailers than from any brick and mortar store I know of. Most of the time the games at launch will cost less or the price of games will drop rapidly within a few weeks of release for various online stores while the game prices will remain forever high in actual shops.

So I don't see the point of ever walking into a store. Rather just save the money and buy several games.

Augen said:
cannonballZ said:
Augen said:

Yeah, mine could be 90% for all I know. Never come close to missing a payment.

Payments usually pay off interest. You only get no interest if you pay off your purchases in full.

Yes. I pay in full every month.  I never spend money I do not have.

Credit card offers convience of not needing cash on hand or dealing with change.

Thats what debit cards are for.

I love all the irrational hate for credit cards in this thread.

CladInShadows said:
I love all the irrational hate for credit cards in this thread.

Well, just to clarify, I dislike them because I don't like the fact that everything now revolves around the gov knowing your purchase history and basing a score on it. I am good with managing my funds and could probably boost my score up high but I dislike that. I dislike that some people even though they have good income, steady employment, and over 30k in the bank yet still don't get approved for a house loan. Or they want to stick you with outrageous interest because of no credit history.

I know credit cards aren't all bad. For some they work great and that's fine, I just prefer to not use them. I prefer they not have a record to all my purchases and activity.