By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Pikmin 3 A Million Seller Already?! Has Over 132k In Digital Sales(US Alone), How Much Will It Sell Lifetime?

tak13 said:
episteme said:
I think the quarterly report will answer it in a few days...

Unfortunately no...nintedo updates its software sales at the end of each fiscal year,namely 31th march:Punless,she will give us number for some games on july 31th:P

But they always give us the numbers of some selected milestones. Yeah, Pikmin probably isn't important enough...

Around the Network

I wouldn't really count those "sales". The game was free and it was definitely a better value than Wind Waker, Wii Party U and, what was the other one? New Super Mario Bros. U? In any case, I hope this interest for the game can convince Nintendo to create more entries in the franchise.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Metallox said:
I wouldn't really count those "sales". The game was free and it was definitely a better value than Wind Waker, Wii Party U and, what was the other one? New Super Mario Bros. U? In any case, I hope this interest for the game can convince Nintendo to create more entries in the franchise.

How come? Your still paying for it. Knack hit 1million sales basically from the same as well as many others (Wii Sports!)

"Buy 1 get 1 free" you still are technically buying the free item am i right :p

Metallox said:

I would say Pikmin 3 is already profitable in terms of returns on development, but it will likely need to round off a million and a few hundred thousand to be worth going on another venture with Pikmin 4. We'll need to wait and see on the Qs report about the sales of the game to make a call. WWHD has most definitiely returned on investment in high values and, honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if this green lit some older Zelda games (*coughMajoracough*) getting green lit for an HD re-release considering that the game is approaching 15 years old and has been requested for a while now.

Vena said:

I would say Pikmin 3 is already profitable in terms of returns on development, but it will likely need to round off a million and a few hundred thousand to be worth going on another venture with Pikmin 4. We'll need to wait and see on the Qs report about the sales of the game to make a call. WWHD has most definitiely returned on investment in high values and, honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if this green lit some older Zelda games (*coughMajoracough*) getting green lit for an HD re-release considering that the game is approaching 15 years old and has been requested for a while now.

Yes, considering how the game was, I doubt it had a big budget. That gives me hope for Pikmin 4. They should try to publish it on 3DS  though, it could sell very well for a minor budget, because the position of the franchise it's not very well secured. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Around the Network

is it realy a sale if you give it away for free? hmm.

hmm, it still kinda flopped.
I expect it to reach 1.5m but mainly cause of the MK8 promotion. Otherwise it was destined to stay under 1m. 

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Tamron said:

But it wasnt free, it cost the price of buying a new copy of Mario Kart 8 before "x" date. That probably helped pushed MK8 sales a bit, definitely counts. Its like saying console bundles dont count or buy 2 get 1 free sales at Gamestop dont count.

Metallox said:

Yes, considering how the game was, I doubt it had a big budget. That gives me hope for Pikmin 4. They should try to publish it on 3DS  though, it could sell very well for a minor budget, because the position of the franchise it's not very well secured. 

Nintendo may continue forward with a lot more of the cross style development we see with Smash. Pikmin 4 may come on both with its own quirks on either system.

ktay95 said:
Tamron said:

But it wasnt free, it cost the price of buying a new copy of Mario Kart 8 before "x" date. That probably helped pushed MK8 sales a bit, definitely counts. Its like saying console bundles dont count or buy 2 get 1 free sales at Gamestop dont count.

Do you think all those people that bought MK8, bought it for the promotion? 

NNID: FrequentFlyer54