By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Digital Foundry The Last of Us PS3 vs PS4

So it looks like ND delivered a very good Remaster but all the "60 fps locked" statements done before on forums (not to blame people, Twitter from ND staff was the reason) seems now gone like the wind...

"Shadowmaps get a 2x detail boost, but the quality in relation to resolution remains unchanged - those dynamic real-time shadows can look pretty low res on PS3, and they still do here - and contrary to reports they appear to remain the same, with identical cascade transitions if you toggle the game to run at the optional 30fps."

"However, while its last-gen origins are at times obvious, there's no doubt that The Last of Us Remastered can look simply sensational. The boost in resolution combined with the enhanced textures emphasises the sheer class of Naughty Dog's artwork at all times."

"To answer the question everyone's been asking, frame-rate isn't locked to 60fps"

"Problems can kick in during busy combat scenes, and just like the PS3 version, particles and transparent effects in particular can take their toll - the first confrontation with a fungus-spewing Bloater sees frame-rate hit a minimum of 48fps."

"Frame-rate is mostly in 60fps territory for the duration, but just like the single-player mode, there are dips in the heat of the action. Our lowest reported reading came in an enclosed room with multiplayer games and saw frame-rate dip to the mid-40s"

"Titles like Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition were built with scalability in mind across a vast range of potential playback platforms while the development effort on The Last of Us focused entirely on PlayStation 3 - so with the remaster, enhanced texture detail, effects precision and substantial boosts to physical and temporal resolution are your lot. Some scenes can look rather plain, while others look absolutely spectacular, but the one thing that is constant throughout the experience is that gameplay in The Last of Us is golden."

"In summary, is The Last of Us Remastered truly next-gen before its time? In many ways, yes. A defining technological statement for the PlayStation 3 transitions across to PS4 very well overall, but the big takeaway from our experience is that there's more to a game's next-gen credentials than the quality of its pixels alone. Gameplay truly is king and you'll struggle to find any game on PlayStation 4 or Xbox One that matches up to the sheer quality on offer here. If you're new to PlayStation and haven't played The Last of Us before, it is recommended without reservation - you'll get more value out of this game than the vast majority of full-price PS4 software. And if you've already played it on PlayStation 3? We'll have answers for you on that front tomorrow."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-vs-the-last-of-us-remastered

Around the Network

Wow. Looks atrocious. Who are they trying to bullshit that they updated the textures? Looks as blurry as the PS3 version. Not even close to the best looking PS4 games.

When I look at Infamous and then back to this, it's easy to see where they got those additional 30 frames.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
Wow. Looks atrocious. Who are they trying to bullshit that they updated the textures? Looks as blurry as the PS3 version. Not even close to the best looking PS4 games.

There are things that I just don't understand - for example take this picture (from dualshockers, surprised they released this pic...)

What the hell went wrong with this shadow? It looks way to blocky...

EDIT: Obviously it is not easy for people to open images in their native resolution so I try to help with a zoomed in picture:

What?
My sarcasm detector isn't working

walsufnir said:
vivster said:

There are things that I just don't understand - for example take this picture (from dualshockers, surprised they released this pic...)

Apparently they didn't remaster everything. I heard they used better shadows in the 30fps mode though.

Sadly it's much too visible that it's not a game built from the ground up for this gen. Uncharted should look A LOT better than this.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
vivster said:
walsufnir said:
vivster said:

Apparently they didn't remaster everything. I heard they used better shadows in the 30fps mode though.

Sadly it's much too visible that it's not a game built from the ground up for this gen. Uncharted should look A LOT better than this.

Oh definitely it will look much better than this! But I don't know about 60fps now...

walsufnir said:

So it looks like ND delivered a very good Remaster but all the "60 fps locked" statements done before on forums (not to blame people, Twitter from ND staff was the reason) seems now gone like the wind...

whoever wrote this article is a liar

ND never said "60 fps locked", they said they "target 60 fps"

Now all thats left is the side by side comparison between ps4 version vs ps3

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

walsufnir said:
vivster said:

EDIT: Obviously it is not easy for people to open images in their native resolution so I try to help with a zoomed in picture:

The shadow is obviously NOT the problem in this picture!

Look at his shirt! Is that supposed to be the fashion of the future? Are they trying to tell us that the Lumberjack style that has been already outdated since the 70's is coming back? Oh please! 

The end of civilisation is not a excuse for being out of style people! 

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

vivster said:

When I look at Infamous and then back to this, it's easy to see where they got those additional 30 frames.

lol. there is no need to be salty.

”The environment where PlayStation wins is best for this industry” (Jack Tretton, 2009)