By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Hardware Sales in Japan, 2000 to 2013

The only way for this situation to turn around would be for Sony and Nintendo to join forces IMO. It's gotten *that* bad in Japan.

Mobile is eating both of their lunches.

Around the Network
NiKKoM said:

Japan’s console market in the first half of 2014:

Hardware sales: 70.63 billion yen
Software sales: 101.63 billion yen
Total: 172.26 billion yen (US$1.685 billion)

Japan’s console market in the first half of 2013:

Hardware sales: 66.39 billion yen
Software sales: 105.63 billion yen
Total: 172.02 billion yen (US$1.683 billion)

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201407/03056514.html

Second half of the year should make or break it... but hardware wise we are already up

It kinda makes sense for hardware to be up since we had the PS4 launch for the first half of 2014 whereas 2013 didn't have anything new (hardware wise) launching. 

Very interesting data, thx.

So 2013 is a 13-year-low for consoles... and 2014 is going to be a lot worse. That certainly isn't pretty. Handheld site is better but still on the wane with a dreadful 2014 ahead.

Why? Did the Japanese lose interest in gaming that fast?

Wow, so 2007 was the peak year for 7th gen home consoles. I wonder if that means 2014 will be the peak year for 8th gen home consoles. Though maybe with PS4 only releasing in 2014 the peak year might be pushed out to 2015.

Wii faded extremely fast in Japan. While it was a sales phenomenon for 4 full years globally it was only really a phenomenon in 2007 in Japan. in 2008 it looks like it sold less than PS2's top 3 years, and perhaps its top 4 years. And after 2008 Wii only sold at PS2's 2005 level, which was its last year with no 7th gen competition.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

ryuzaki57 said:
Very interesting data, thx.

So 2013 is a 13-year-low for consoles... and 2014 is going to be a lot worse. That certainly isn't pretty. Handheld site is better but still on the wane with a dreadful 2014 ahead.

Why? Did the Japanese lose interest in gaming that fast?

They are playing on the new superior master race:

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Around the Network

Shadow1980 said:

That's shipment data, not sales data. The two are distinct and are rarely congruent.

There's something I've wondered about for a while.  I've been working on my own charts, and I've found that, at least when it comes to older consoles, shipment numbers are much easier to come across than actual sales numbers.  I'm at the point where I'm almost ready to give up on trying to figure out global sales and just settle for charting shipments.

But it did get me thinking.  Couldn't the shipment numbers themselves be used to estimate the likely number of sales?  I realize it's not an exact science and there would be a margin of error, but don't the shipment figures tell us something about sales?  I mean, what kind of sales threshold do manufacturers wait for before shipping more units?  We must have a rough idea.

I realize it would be a different number depending on how fast they're selling, but there must be a minimum number of units they aim to have on the shelves at all times.  This may not give us accurate week-to-week sales figures, but at the very least, couldn't shipment data (both the timing and the size) be used to estimate likely sales figures over the long term?

ColdFire - The man with no name.

wii u is up from last year, isnt it?
also, ps4 came.

i think 2014 can be bigger than 2013 for home consoles.
but handhelds seems to drop.

dunno why people think 2014 is gonna be even worse than 2013 when the PS4 came out in Japan this year. I mean home console sales are already over half of what they were last year and thats in the half of the year that always does worse.

Ozraves said:
It may not be surprising, but it does suck that consoles are dying off in Japan.

Japan as a whole is dying of.

Shadow1980 said:
said:

There's something I've wondered about for a while.  I've been working on my own charts, and I've found that, at least when it comes to older consoles, shipment numbers are much easier to come across than actual sales numbers.  I'm at the point where I'm almost ready to give up on trying to figure out global sales and just settle for charting shipments.

But it did get me thinking.  Couldn't the shipment numbers themselves be used to estimate the likely number of sales?  I realize it's not an exact science and there would be a margin of error, but don't the shipment figures tell us something about sales?  I mean, what kind of sales threshold do manufacturers wait for before shipping more units?  We must have a rough idea.

I realize it would be a different number depending on how fast they're selling, but there must be a minimum number of units they aim to have on the shelves at all times.  This may not give us accurate week-to-week sales figures, but at the very least, couldn't shipment data (both the timing and the size) be used to estimate likely sales figures over the long term?

Well, shipments do provide an upper limit. For example, from September 1, 1986 to August 31, 1987, the NES shipped just over 1.8 million units in North America (it shipped 210k in the previous Sept.-Aug. period, but it was only available in test markets then, being released nationwide in September 1986). That means that the NES sold at most only 1.8 million units in its first year on the market.

But yeah, the dearth of readily-available sales data for older systems is kind of annoying. NPD apparently started tracking sales in the U.S. in 1988, but no concrete data for systems older than the PS2 exists on the internet (I'm trying to remedy that as I'm waiting on a response from someone at Neogaf who has older NPD data). In Japan, Famitsu only goes as far back as 2000 and Media Create only started tracking sales in 2002. For Europe, VG Charts is the only one who has yearly sales data for the region, and they don't have anything prior to last generation, at least not anymore. I hear they used to track PS2 sales, but that data is long gone.

Pretty sure Famitsu's been tracking sales since the 80s. I remember searching through old Google Forums posts from old-ass internet postings in the 80s, and in a video game group sure enough there was a guy relaying video game sales from like 1988 or something.