By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Hardware Sales in Japan, 2000 to 2013

Well the good news is that console sales can only go up from this point on. Combined sales are already at 1.2 million for this year and we still have Xbox One launch(not really big but still) and holidays to go. And PS4 doesn't even have any big games yet.

Besides look at 2005, there was a low point there to. Sure the market won't be as big as before but 2013 will show to be the low point, it's going to go up now.

Around the Network

would be nice if we get a disposible income and demografic chart too. console gaming isnt dieing. japan is getting grey and "poor".

Interesting. The PS2 was a monster, wasn't it?

What grabs my attention is how the PS3 went up over time. I know there is no Wii in the equation but I do think we'll see something similar with the PS4. Together with the Wii U, I think the market can still be healthy, relative to other countries, though probably not relative to its own past.

AnthonyW86 said:
Well the good news is that console sales can only go up from this point on. Combined sales are already at 1.2 million for this year and we still have Xbox One launch(not really big but still) and holidays to go. And PS4 doesn't even have any big games yet.

Besides look at 2005, there was a low point there to. Sure the market won't be as big as before but 2013 will show to be the low point, it's going to go up now.

#

im just not sure, if we see > 3 million ever again. probably not

edit:

2015 < 2014 can happen, too

They need to get making some games for the PS4 and Wii U

Around the Network
prinz_valium said:
AnthonyW86 said:

#

edit:

Not sure what you meant with the edit but last year about 1 million consoles were sold from August till the end of the year. So if this year were to match that it would be 2.2 million for 2014. But Wii-U will probably sell more in Japan this year and PS4 wasn't available there last holiday so who maybe we will will see 3 million plus this year. And if not this year next year for sure, when PS4 finally gets some titles that will sell well in Japan.

Gilgamesh said:

They need to get making some games for the PS4 and Wii U

That isn't going to stop the decline, probably just slow it down.

Unless Sony and Nintendo are going to throw money at Japanese 3rd parties, developers are going to focus on less risky mobile games.

Nintendo still has a strong following in Japan. Its Sony that needs to start making moves if they want to continue to be relevant in Japan.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

I wish I could cry about it but my tears run dry by now...

...Let the Sony Domination continue with the PS4...
AnthonyW86 said:
prinz_valium said:
AnthonyW86 said:

#

edit:

Not sure what you meant with the edit but last year about 1 million consoles were sold from August till the end of the year. So if this year were to match that it would be 2.2 million for 2014. But Wii-U will probably sell more in Japan this year and PS4 wasn't available there last holiday so who maybe we will will see 3 million plus this year. And if not this year next year for sure, when PS4 finally gets some titles that will sell well in Japan.

my edit?

we said 2013 is the low point and now sales go up

thats right. but if  2015 will be lower than 2014 sales technically not only going straigt up.

2015 will be without ps4 and xbox one frontloaded launch sales

2015 will be still without many japan games for ps4.

the big exclusives are western audience games

ps 3 sales could decrease. wii u, too

thats me concern

Japan’s console market in the first half of 2014:

Hardware sales: 70.63 billion yen
Software sales: 101.63 billion yen
Total: 172.26 billion yen (US$1.685 billion)

Japan’s console market in the first half of 2013:

Hardware sales: 66.39 billion yen
Software sales: 105.63 billion yen
Total: 172.02 billion yen (US$1.683 billion)

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201407/03056514.html

Second half of the year should make or break it... but hardware wise we are already up

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!)