By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - So I've got some info on the Destiny Expansions.

Nkh3 said:
So If I want to experience Destiny the Best way...(since I'm still on last gen)
I have to buy a ps4 (400)+Destiny(60)+expansion pass(35)+ps plus(50)+have a friend who is willing to do the same thing (.The two of us must spend totally 1100 euros.
Perfect, now that I think about it...I don't have the money to play Destiny.
I'll buy a ps4 much later and play Uncharted 4,Bloodborne,The Witcher 3,Arkham Knight e.t.c.
Too bad cause I really liked the beta.

or you could just buy a ps4 much later and buy destiny and its older expansion packs at a discount.. 

i like how you do the whole maximum possible pricing scenario for "best experience"  but why stop at doubling it for a friend at 1100, clearly YOU must spend 1650 for a full fireteam,  but wait,  theres more,  for a truly epic experience you all need fibre internet and 60" led tv's,  with surround sound setup to boot. 

total prices will always be high if you want them to be. 

Now do the math again for ps3 version with dlc. also,  your solution of buying other games still requires the purchase of a console and online subscription to make the most of them,  so for you and a friend its still $1020 investment,  suddenly your $1100 figure for destiny doesn't seem as big of a deal as you make it out to be. 

Around the Network

I wonder how long it will take until they leave the last gen behind.

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

Burek said:
It's everybody's prerogative to choise the game and the monetization style they prefer.
There are people here who prefer single player experiences with no DLCs. This is not a game for them.
There are people who enjoy playing annual franchises. This is not a game for them.
Then there are people who like coop and multiplayer experiences and enjoy having their game world expanded with new content. They will buy this game. And this is a thread for them.

There are people who enjoy CoD, but I highly doubt that they enjoy it because it's an annual franchise.....

I like the idea but only to a point. This game is very last gen graphically, so hopefully Destiny 2 is a next gen exclusive no later than September '16. They can support destiny 1 for another year + if they want, but it will look wildly dated when cross gen is basically dead in 2016+. Hell, as cool as destiny is gameplay wise, it looks pretty outdated already and it's not even out yet.

This game is not a true MMO granted but it shares MMO elements and a lot of them. This game will have overhead and cost money to keep up and running.

What I get from you is a very big sense of entitlement! This game is sharing a similar model that Guild Wars uses. Guild Wars is free to play expansions you have to buy to see new content and this just makes sense. Destiny will be the same you can still play your game without paying for additional expansions you just don't get to experience new content... and why should you get to if you have not paid for it? It cost's money to keep this game running and pay people to support them game and create new content. To have this game use a model like Rift would be disastrous to a new console IP.

Around the Network
Tamron said:
Nkh3 said:
So If I want to experience Destiny the Best way...(since I'm still on last gen)
I have to buy a ps4 (400)+Destiny(60)+expansion pass(35)+ps plus(50)+have a friend who is willing to do the same thing (.The two of us must spend totally 1100 euros.
Perfect, now that I think about it...I don't have the money to play Destiny.
I'll buy a ps4 much later and play Uncharted 4,Bloodborne,The Witcher 3,Arkham Knight e.t.c.
Too bad cause I really liked the beta.

or you could just buy a ps4 much later and buy destiny and its older expansion packs at a discount.. 

i like how you do the whole maximum possible pricing scenario for "best experience"  but why stop at doubling it for a friend at 1100, clearly YOU must spend 1650 for a full fireteam,  but wait,  theres more,  for a truly epic experience you all need fibre internet and 60" led tv's,  with surround sound setup to boot. 

total prices will always be high if you want them to be. 

Now do the math again for ps3 version with dlc. 

You sound upset.

But I'm right.This is how much it would cost "us"  IF WE WANTED the best.

I didn't say we are obliged to pay as much.

Why the attack ?

Porcupine_I said:

I wonder that too.Sometimes I fear they'll never let it go.Just like how EA released FIFA games for ps2 up until 2013.

Porcupine_I said:

I would bet they would support Destiny on 360/PS3 until the end like next gen consoles. 

MMO's typically have great legs look at how long they last:

World of Warcraft 2004-present

Guild Wars 2005-2012

Eve Online 2003-present 

Everquest 2 2004-pressent 

Lineage 2 2003-present 

These are just a small segment and others exsist. 

While Destiny is not a true MMO like the ones above it does share many characteristics of one.  What will make this successful is not having a subscription at the start had games like Warhammer, Rift, Star Wars and other failed MMO's done what Guild wars had done I and not turn into micro transaction messes (RIFT, Starwars) after failing with the subscription modle I bet those games would have been more popular.  That's what is going to help Destiny. 

I see Destiny getting supported to the very end, Bungie knows better! it would be suicide otherwise, they could offer old content to be transferable to next gen consoles to help you switch (speculation of course) but they will be supported. In my personal opinion I don't see a destiny 2 until the next gen... You will see 360/PS3 drop and current consoles take there place.  A game like Destiny does not need to come out every 2-3 years, it's MMO elements allow this game the legs it needs to have one per gen. 

Teeqoz said:
Burek said:
It's everybody's prerogative to choise the game and the monetization style they prefer.
There are people here who prefer single player experiences with no DLCs. This is not a game for them.
There are people who enjoy playing annual franchises. This is not a game for them.
Then there are people who like coop and multiplayer experiences and enjoy having their game world expanded with new content. They will buy this game. And this is a thread for them.

There are people who enjoy CoD, but I highly doubt that they enjoy it because it's an annual franchise.....

I wasn't talking about CoD specifically. There are sports franchises that actually fit my intent much better. You pay a full price for a few graphical tweeks, a slightly different game mode and a shuffled roster. Yet they sell like hotcakes every year. And they should, because people obviously see the value. Those that don't, buy it once and shuffle rosters themselves.

So, some see the value in Destiny's strategy, some don't. And that's perfectly fine. Choices exist because we have different tastes. 

It's jyst annoying when people who have no interest in the game hijack the thread and waste everybody's time. I came here to discuss Destiny and its expansions, not to debate the monetization options of every other game ever made.

If someone dislikes the DLCs offered, say so and move on, or make a thread about the economic feasibility of gaming, because I'm sick of reading thread after thread of everything but the topic in question.

I shall buy every expansion pack. Me and a buddy are gonna game share, so that will cut the costs down significantly.

Thanks jlmurph!