By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - So I've got some info on the Destiny Expansions.

Raziel123 said:
Tamron said:
what i think hes trying to say is, he will pay $60 a year for rehashes of the same game that have no real reason to invest any time in your charactee because everything you do will be worthless when the new game cones out.

but he wont spent $60 a year on expanding and evolving an existing game that provides much better support and logevity to both the game and your time investment in building your characters.

sound about right?

No. First year free game content and paid cosmetic dlc

2 years after the first game, sequel with entirely new story and base content. A new game. Not a layer on top of what's already there.

and how exactly do they fund the development of destiny 2? off the back of a few thousand people buying cloaks? 

and what,  exactly,  would a new game have that would be so fundamentally different than an expansion pack?  you do realize,  i hope,  that expansions arent just limited to adding content,  they can,  and have,  be used to completely alter and update the base game and deliver and entirely new experience. 

they could for example destroy earth entirely,  move yoi forwards or backwards in time significantly. move you far off into a completely different star system,  introduce new threats,  classes and species. 

basically,  they can add anything a new game would be able to add without segmenting the userbase and without having to worry about supporting two different games. 

if the entire game universe evolves at the same time,  then everyone playing wins,  even if you choose not to buy additional content. 

you really,  really need more experience with well-supported mmo's

Around the Network
Euphoria14 said:
gergroy said:

wow, now that is new.  You are actually ok with them selling skins and cosmetic stuff, but not actual content?  Cosmetic dlc is usually considered the dirty kind of dlc that people think of as evil, it is what most people primarily complain about.  but that is what you want?

He also supports a title that charges you money for a new difficulty mode.

He must be messing just with us.

no, I think he really doesn't like dlc, but I don't think he knows or understands why he doesn't like it.  He just staked out a position, but is still in the process of justifying it.  That is what it seems like to me.  

gergroy said:

I was kind of expecting it in two years because that is what the leaked contract said, but I guess a lot of stuff has changed since that contract was initially made...

Original contract also stated only 2 expansions and that it would likely be a timed exclusive on Xbox.

That contract is incredibly outdated and has no bearing on the current Destiny landscape.

Raziel123 said:

Grounded? Difficulty mode for SP -> entirely optional. Would not be optional if it were for online content.

Can still play Destiny, without the expansions -> optional.

You know, just like Reaper of Souls for Diablo 3!!! Believe it or not, you can still play Diablo 3 without the expansion.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

CDiablo said:

I dont know why people are comparing this to an MMO. This is standard FPS expansion pack pricing.

In terms of how long they plan to support the game, along with it's always online gameplay.

Even when playing out of a group you still have other gamers visably playing in your world.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Around the Network
Euphoria14 said:
Raziel123 said:

Grounded? Difficulty mode for SP -> entirely optional. Would not be optional if it were for online content.

You know, just like Reaper of Souls for Diablo 3!!! Believe it or not, you can still play Diablo 3 without the expansion.

No, it's not optional when people around you carry other gear or have other abilities, or when you're friends are playing the new content and you can't because you didn't buy it. Online game content is inherently mandatory, there is no two ways about it.

And Reaper of souls came out 2 years later, cheaper than 1 year of Destiny expansions. That's an expansion done right (in terms of model, i haven't played it so i don't know if it's any good)

And it's most definitely not a MMO, calling it that won't change anything. It's an online FPS with laughable player counts. Planetside 2 is "MMO-like", this is not.

Raziel123 said:
gergroy said:

go read any good dlc vs bad dlc comparison.  Go read anybody complaining about dlc on the internet.  Cosmetic type of dlc is ALWAYS mentioned as bad dlc.  

Also, how is content dlc never optional?  If you don't buy it, it isn't like you can't keep playing your game.  You just don't get the new content.  My brother never bought lair of the shadow broker or the arrival for mass effect 2, and he still considers it his favorite game.  

If your game is partially obsolete if you don't buy the dlc, what happens when a sequel comes out?  That is your prefered strategy no?  Is your game not obsolete at that point?  Is buying the sequel not an optional thing to do?  You must buy it?  How is the sequel any different from content dlc at that point?  

Why are you comparing SP games to online? 

What happens when the sequel comes out? People move on to the new game, which will not become obsolete because of paid DLC. Instead of becoming obsolete after 2-3 months.

because we are talking about content dlc, aren't we?  

Are you suggesting it will become obsolete because everybody will move to the new areas and leave you high and dry if you don't buy the content?  Sorry, but that will never happen.  Call of duty doesn't become obsolete if you don't buy the new map packs.  Same with halo.  Still more than enough people to play with.  They also won't spend all their time in the new content.  Not everybody will buy the new content.  It is a weak argument.  There is nothing about the dlc that is mandatory or lessons the experience for those that don't buy it.  You are making an issue out of nothing.  

Raziel123 said:
Euphoria14 said:
Raziel123 said:

No, it's not optional when people around you carry other gear or have other abilities, or when you're friends are playing the new content and you can't because you didn't buy it. Online game content is inherently mandatory, there is no two ways about it.

And Reaper of souls came out 2 years later, cheaper than 1 year of Destiny expansions. That's an expansion done right (in terms of model, i haven't played it so i don't know if it's any good)

if your friends chose to buy it,  and you cant play it because you didnt buy it,  how is it any different from them buying a new game and you not being able to join in because you didnt buy it too? 

dont confuse lack of choice with lack of ability to handle peer pressure. 

Tamron said:

if your friends chose to buy it,  and you cant play it because you didnt buy it,  how is it any different from them buying a new game and you not being able to join in because you didnt buy it too? 

dont confuse lack of choice with lack of ability to handle peer pressure. 

Difference is enough time passed for me to squeeze everything out of the previous game so that it's irrelevant whether or not it becomes obsolete, because that'd happen regardless of a new game coming out or not.

But hey, it's your money ruining the industry, do whatever the hell you want with it. I'll be using those hundreds of dollars you're going to waste on proper games.

hrm,.

...well thanks for the info benV. i think i'm going to continue postponing my destiny pre-order until activision provides more clarity on expansion costs and the consequences of buying/not buying them.

this isn't a protest or anything. i'm not upset about this info. i'm just unable to game much anymore and if i have to put another $20 into the game every few months to stay relevant i'm not sure i'll get the proper amount of playtime to justify the cost as this is sounding like an expensive game to own.

pair that with sony's "no cancellation" policy on digital pre-orders and i just feel the need to wait.