By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Marketing and Name for Wii U should have been different?

Marketing and Name for Wii U should have been different?

yes 63 79.75%

no 6 7.59%

it wouldnt matter 7 8.86%

im a hater wii u sucks! 1 1.27%

Total:77

They should have ditched the gamepad. Released it as Wii 2, with HD Nintendo graphics, a Pro controller, and maybe a Wii Remote, fully backwards compatible. Without the gamepad, maybe they could have released at 250.

The marketing writes itself, "We would like to play 2 (too)". Market the fact that all your Wii Games and accessories carry over, and I think that would have done much better for Nintendo. 

Around the Network
lukibrasil said:

First off: The name was really confusing. When I first saw the wii u I thought it was just a gamepad add on and I think that is why alot of people havent bought it yet. If it was called Nintendo HD and designed to look like the nes but more modern or just called it Nintendo Hd and had the same design as the wii u, I think it would have sold more. I still see people go out to gamestop and return a wii u game and say the game doesnt work on the wii. This just shows that the marketing was terrible. I really did not see any marketing on television exept for mario kart. If nintendo had foucused on telling us this would be able to play HD games and a little less on gamepad, also having a different name, I think nintendo should have been 10m+ by now.( Plus, the launch was not that good. I mean it had NSMBU, but if it had 3d world or Mario kart people would have bought it more) I think nintendo is trying to atract their casuals, and it just totally confused the casuals because it was marketed wrong. Also, casuals don't watch E3 and stuff, so they had no idea about the wii u until the release date. Hell I saw some people commenting on other sites saying that when they told there friends that there was a wii u (this was in MK8 release) there friends had not known until then. Bad marketing=bad start. Sure, they have gotten slightly better boost, but its nothing compared to what would it have been if it were called something different, or better marketing.

What do you think? And if you agree with the different name, what would your different name have been?

I think so yes, but it's too late now. 

Gotta figure out how to set these up lol.

ikki5 said:
I wouldn't really call the Wii U a bad name... but at the same time it is. If there was no Wii then the name would be fine but the fact that the Wii existed, made the name Wii U bad. Nintendo wanted to try and use the Wii name again thinking that it would have a surge of sales just like the Wii did but it obviously failed.

If they wanted to use the Wii brand to make money, Wii 2 would have been much simpler and easy to understand.  When a company has to make it clear that their new console IS a new console two years after releasing it, it's clear you have a terrible name.

Go ahead and try to think of a worse name than Wii U using the Wii brand name.

"You should be banned. Youre clearly flaming the president and even his brother who you know nothing about. Dont be such a partisan hack"

mii-gamer said:
I would have called it "Wii Wii""

150k baseline since first day guaranteed. 

Year 2021 - 'Still patiently waiting for Fire Emblem WiiU no signs of change... They say "It's right on schedule"'

wary-wallaroo said:

They should have ditched the gamepad. Released it as Wii 2, with HD Nintendo graphics, a Pro controller, and maybe a Wii Remote, fully backwards compatible. Without the gamepad, maybe they could have released at 250.

The marketing writes itself, "We would like to play 2 (too)". Market the fact that all your Wii Games and accessories carry over, and I think that would have done much better for Nintendo. 

Uhhh k. Everything you said is there with the exception fo the pro controller. I don't understand why so many people think they should ditch the gamepad. There is nothing wrong with the gamepad in the slightest. After having the system for nearly 2 years now, when I play my brothers 360 or my buddies PS3 I am often trying to quickly and easily change weapons with the tap of an icon on the edge of the gamepad as opposed to toggeling through to find what I want or pause and then find it. Those are the majority of games I play at their places so that is the biggest change so far, but when I'm at home, half of the time I am playing solely on my gamepad due to my wife watching TV. Not to mention a bigger map that is often more detailed with many games, but the biggest thing is for quick switch items or item usage on many games like MH or UnEpic, COD, Splintercell, Batman ect ect. 

They certainly dropped the ball on the name and the marketing, but I don't think the issue here is the gamepad. My brother didn't know the Wii U was a new console, he thought the gamepad was a peripheral to the Wii, that is entirely due to terrible marketing and not informing the customer base. They could have worked much harder at changing the look of the machine in comparison to the Wii as well, that might have helped. I'm not saying this is difnitive, but it's my experience with it anyway.

Gotta figure out how to set these up lol.

Around the Network
Dusk said:
wary-wallaroo said:

Uhhh k. Everything you said is there with the exception fo the pro controller. I don't understand why so many people think they should ditch the gamepad. There is nothing wrong with the gamepad in the slightest. After having the system for nearly 2 years now, when I play my brothers 360 or my buddies PS3 I am often trying to quickly and easily change weapons with the tap of an icon on the edge of the gamepad as opposed to toggeling through to find what I want or pause and then find it. Those are the majority of games I play at their places so that is the biggest change so far, but when I'm at home, half of the time I am playing solely on my gamepad due to my wife watching TV. Not to mention a bigger map that is often more detailed with many games, but the biggest thing is for quick switch items or item usage on many games like MH or UnEpic, COD, Splintercell, Batman ect ect. 

They certainly dropped the ball on the name and the marketing, but I don't think the issue here is the gamepad. My brother didn't know the Wii U was a new console, he thought the gamepad was a peripheral to the Wii, that is entirely due to terrible marketing and not informing the customer base. They could have worked much harder at changing the look of the machine in comparison to the Wii as well, that might have helped. I'm not saying this is difnitive, but it's my experience with it anyway.

I like the gamepad, but ditching it would have allowed a much lower price. That's what I mean by getting rid of the gamepad.

The name was a pretty big mistake. I think Wii 2 would have been better, at least then it sounds like a successor console and not an add-on.

Marketing has been none existent.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

It would have been so awesome if the WiiU's name was " Ultra Nintendo Entertainment System"...  It would be a nostalgic, yet effective name!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

How is this less confusing for grandma when she is buying birthday presents? PS4 = blue banner, PS3 = black banner, PS Vita = blue banner but smaller.

To all of us the PS logo looks nice but I guess when grandma looks at it she sees a strange looking question mark (P in PS) and some strange geometrical worm (S in PS) followed by what might be a number (it is hard to see what it should be especially the 3 - following the logic from the P the 3 should be read as B)

The DS to 3DS change was even more strange but it turned ot quite OK.

The DS and 3DS look the same, just having the banner on different sides. (It took me quite some time to understand the difference)

The Wii and Wii U have at least different looks on their banners as well as different colors.

MS made the best graphical change: they still have the green but X360 & XOne differ in looks much more than PS or Nintendo.

Wii U has nothing to do with original Wii. Of course it should've been changed. Does Nintendo think consumers are that stupid?