By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Marketing and Name for Wii U should have been different?

Marketing and Name for Wii U should have been different?

yes 63 79.75%

no 6 7.59%

it wouldnt matter 7 8.86%

im a hater wii u sucks! 1 1.27%

Total:77
wary-wallaroo said:
Dusk said:
wary-wallaroo said:

They should have ditched the gamepad. Released it as Wii 2, with HD Nintendo graphics, a Pro controller, and maybe a Wii Remote, fully backwards compatible. Without the gamepad, maybe they could have released at 250.

The marketing writes itself, "We would like to play 2 (too)". Market the fact that all your Wii Games and accessories carry over, and I think that would have done much better for Nintendo. 

Uhhh k. Everything you said is there with the exception fo the pro controller. I don't understand why so many people think they should ditch the gamepad. There is nothing wrong with the gamepad in the slightest. After having the system for nearly 2 years now, when I play my brothers 360 or my buddies PS3 I am often trying to quickly and easily change weapons with the tap of an icon on the edge of the gamepad as opposed to toggeling through to find what I want or pause and then find it. Those are the majority of games I play at their places so that is the biggest change so far, but when I'm at home, half of the time I am playing solely on my gamepad due to my wife watching TV. Not to mention a bigger map that is often more detailed with many games, but the biggest thing is for quick switch items or item usage on many games like MH or UnEpic, COD, Splintercell, Batman ect ect. 

They certainly dropped the ball on the name and the marketing, but I don't think the issue here is the gamepad. My brother didn't know the Wii U was a new console, he thought the gamepad was a peripheral to the Wii, that is entirely due to terrible marketing and not informing the customer base. They could have worked much harder at changing the look of the machine in comparison to the Wii as well, that might have helped. I'm not saying this is difnitive, but it's my experience with it anyway.

I like the gamepad, but ditching it would have allowed a much lower price. That's what I mean by getting rid of the gamepad.

The price was already quite low to start. $300 for basic and $350 for deluxe. When adding inflation in comparison to the rest it is one of the cheapest consoles to come to market. Also, without the gamepad it would have just been the same console as the others but with less power. I don't get it. 

Gotta figure out how to set these up lol.

Around the Network