By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - So why are people OK with ads on the 360/One dashboard?

Are you OK with ads on you console?`

Yup 60 13.16%

Nope 311 68.20%

Indifferent 54 11.84%

See results 29 6.36%

Total:454
Machiavellian said:

isnt the point is that everything a product does will not appeal to everyone.  Some people enjoy the ads some people do not.  From this thread alone, most just ignore them unless it offer something they are interested in.  I believe the issue is not that the X1 or 360 have ads, its weather the ads on display is something you care about.  I personally enjoy ads that talk about sales.  If not for those ads I could miss out on some very good deals.  Ads on political, ESPN or things of that sort I have clicked on in the past if they interested me but most times I just ignore them.

Alright, but the thing is those very same deals don't need your entire front page to work. They could be advertised in a text box (see: PS3), and work just as fine.

And I see plenty of ads already on politics and ESPN and other non-gaming things when I go on the internet. Don't need it taking up the space I could use to organize my stuff.

To each his own though.

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

Around the Network
Too_Talls said:

Even with this, I still mildly agree with the point toast boy was getting across, and your comment furthers my belief in that regard.

Your console is so under used you may as well not have even had one, Come on the sticker still in tact perfectly underneath the disk tray?

If the 360 was something you spent enough time on to have a valuable opinion of it's experience that thing would have at least started to peel by now.

ofcourse you'd have gripes about small issues on something you barley use. Esspecially if it's different than what you are used to. primary 360 users aren't bothered by something so petty, it's nit picking.

It's  a GAME console and when it plays GAMES, there arent any adds........What exactly are you using it for? If it's game you want to acces thats easy to find with the quick dash............Arghh smh people these days.

Why would the sticker peel? And you underestimate how much I used to use my 360. I took it to college, where me and my friends played GTA V and Halo 4 on it pretty much every single day for almost a year. I've had plenty of experience with it, even if I use other consoles more,  and as a gamer who isn't primarily a 360 gamer but still has plenty of experiences with the console, I can say with no bias that the ads are intrusive.

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

To be honest I dont really notice the crap on the dashboard at this point. Most of it is trying to sell me some game or movie, but my eyes are trained to look just at the launch game thing. I prefer the original "blade" look of the dashboard. I am certainly not okay with actual ads for cars and stuff that you cannot buy through your xbox. X1's dashboard is nice and clean with no BS at the moment.

Getting an XBOX One for me is like being in a bad relationship but staying together because we have kids. XBone we have 20000+ achievement points, 2+ years of XBL Gold and 20000+ MS points. I think its best we stay together if only for the MS points.

Nintendo Treehouse is what happens when a publisher is confident and proud of its games and doesn't need to show CGI lies for five minutes.

-Jim Sterling

brendude13 said:
d21lewis said:
Smokingbum said:

What's the difference?

Quite a lot considering that only appears when hovering over the "what's new" category. Press any direction on the D-pad and they'll completely disappear. 1 out of around 50 icons in the XMB are dedicated to advertisements, not 30 out of 50.

Also helps that those ads seem far more relevant to gamer's interests.

Seriously?  Well I'm a gamer and I think similar "gamer's interests" are displayed on both conosles.  And even if something doesn't appeal to me (like the ad for that newly released in theaters movie, "Lucy", on PSN) I can appreciate that somebody out there will be glad to know that they can use their multi-media console (Something console owners are proud of when it suits them and not so proud of when it doesn't) to do multi-media things.  And even if you scroll away from "what's new", there's that ticker in the top right that is always there showing deals and content.

But you have to READ that ticker, right?  Well, you also have to read or highlight an Xbox 360 ad.  I'm not saying the ads are good or bad.  I'm saying that both consoles do a lot of similar things.  Have a lot of similar strengths and have similar flaws.  People tend to overlook a flaw on their favorite console and magnify the existence on their favorite competitor.

VanceIX said:
toastboy44562 said:
So youre going to give up on your favorite franchises and gaming all together because you did not want to see a nonintrusive ad on the dashboard? I'm willing to bet you've never played a 360 before!

And no, I'm not gving up on gaming at all, I've got other consoles plenty, and I don't use my 360 much anyway. It just doesn't seem right that this is completely OK.

Thumbs up for an epic response. Wish you had taken the bet though.

Around the Network

Don't own a 360, but have heard other people complain about the screen o' ads. Put it down to Microsoft's Google envy.

Personally used to be irritated that my brother-in-law's PS3 would always start up to PSN page trying to sell things, but I think that was an issue with login configuration or the fact he never had a disc in it. Haven't had the same frustration with my own PS3.

Keeping the store trapped inside its own little icon is the pro-consumer way to go with embedded systems.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

I don't see any ads on the Xbox One dashboard other than ads for games and other media.

Goatseye said:
VanceIX said:

So I guess ads on your phone or desktop home screen would be fine too, since they don't take away from the functionality?

And yes, the ads do take away from my gaming experience. I want ALL my games displayed on the home screen for easy access, or at least sone games and apps. It keeps things better organized and gives me more control over a $300 console that I have to pay $60 a year just to access the internet and get ads from Microsoft.

That's the key right there partner. I just skip them and drive on. No bitching or nothing because if the functionality was compromised I wouldn't be skipping them or ignoring them.

So if your Android phone put the Google Playstore main screen on your phone home screen instead or your Appstore main screen replaced your iPhone homescreen, you wouldn't care?

I know I would.

Shoving stuff in my face to try to entice me to buy should be in the devices store and not the homescreen. A homescreen should focus on your content first and foremost, not make it appear secondary. This is the OP's complaint, and it's a damn good complaint, no matter how often you try to belittle his view and try telling him to just suck it up and fall in line.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

The Fury said:
walsufnir said:

But as a gold member I also get special discounts. Why shouldn't they show me the discounts?

Are the movie ads that play audio special discounts? Can't get any adblock on Xbox either. Most people would just visit the store where usually the special discounts are listed on the home page.

If you are like me, I never visit the store unless I see an advertisement for discounted games.  When I turn on my Xbox 360 I am usually going straight to my pins or playing the game in the HDD.  

VanceIX said:
Too_Talls said:

Even with this, I still mildly agree with the point toast boy was getting across, and your comment furthers my belief in that regard.

Your console is so under used you may as well not have even had one, Come on the sticker still in tact perfectly underneath the disk tray?

If the 360 was something you spent enough time on to have a valuable opinion of it's experience that thing would have at least started to peel by now.

ofcourse you'd have gripes about small issues on something you barley use. Esspecially if it's different than what you are used to. primary 360 users aren't bothered by something so petty, it's nit picking.

It's  a GAME console and when it plays GAMES, there arent any adds........What exactly are you using it for? If it's game you want to acces thats easy to find with the quick dash............Arghh smh people these days.

Why would the sticker peel? And you underestimate how much I used to use my 360. I took it to college, where me and my friends played GTA V and Halo 4 on it pretty much every single day for almost a year. I've had plenty of experience with it, even if I use other consoles more,  and as a gamer who isn't primarily a 360 gamer but still has plenty of experiences with the console, I can say with no bias that the ads are intrusive.

My 30-year old NES still has a sticker and it's been used so much, as you could easily see.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!