By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - TLOU Dev Fires Back At Those Who Feel $50 Is Too Much For PS4 Version “It’s a Steal”

Aura7541 said:
spemanig said:

No I'm not. I already discussed DLC.

Sony's pricing is overpriced. Sony doesn't play price matching with the worth of a product, obviously. If TLOU:R was worth $50, this thread would not exist, because a ND dev wouldn't feel the need to defend the pricing because everyone would be fine with the pricing.

That is your opinion and you do not speak for everyone else. Have you even thought of perhaps, other reasons why people have complained? For instance, I don't see the worth because I seldomly play multiplayer. Perhaps, the people complaining do not know the full package behind TLOU: R... Who knows? But to hastily conclude that this thread exists because TLOU:R was not worth the $50 is silly.

Also, you had your say on this, so what is your motive of continuing to complain about this to other people who do see the remaster's worth? All you had to do is walk away, but clearly something is bothering you that is making you stay. Remember, the value of a product depends on the person.

You seem to have had your say too, why not leave yourself? It's a forum; people discuss to their heart's content.

As for OP; definitely not a steal. You can make up your own mind as to whether or not the pricing is fair, but a steal implies being sold at much less than its value, which is simply not the case.

Around the Network

And stupid people will agree, pay 50$, be disappointed, but they'll deserve it, while the producers make money for HD textures and higher frame-rate for an old-gen, 1 year old game.

Having to pay 50$ for a game that you already paid for a year ago on the same ecosystem doesn't even start to be acceptable anywhere...

BHR-3 said:

Lately there have been quite a lot of gamers complaining about the price of The Last of Us Remastered, expressing the position that $50 for a remaster is too much. Sound Designer Robert Krekel, who now works at Sony Santa Monica but previously applied his talent to Naughty Dog’s masterpiece took issue at the concept on Twitter:

People think $50 is too much for TLoU remastered? A ton of work went into it and it has all the DLC included. $50 bucks is a steal IMO.

I mean even if you bought the PS3 version it’s $30 then only buying the Left Behind DLC you be spending $45

Robomodo co-founder Josh Tsui replied tongue-in-cheek “They didn’t just push a “make higher res textures and frame rate” button? That’s all @ToddDFoster does” (Todd Foster is one of Naughty Dog’s artists), and Krekel continued:

That’s probably a lot more complicated than most want to think it is. Would be nice if it was possible though.

It’s definitely hard to argue against Krekel’s argument. Many indeed seem to think that porting a game developed to work with the cell to a new console with an entirely different architecture, adding effects, high resolution textures and making it run at twice the frame rate is an easy task. As a matter of fact, the internet seems to be full of people that feel that developing games in general is simple (we probably have more armchair developers than armchair coaches).

It isn’t, but if you think the price of The last of Us Remastered is too high, you can simply leave it on the shelf, or wait for a price drop. It’s really that simple.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/07/19/the-last-of-us-dev-fires-back-at-those-who-feel-50-is-too-much-for-ps4-version-its-a-steal/

Very well said. Can't wait til July 29th.

mysteryman said:
Aura7541 said:

That is your opinion and you do not speak for everyone else. Have you even thought of perhaps, other reasons why people have complained? For instance, I don't see the worth because I seldomly play multiplayer. Perhaps, the people complaining do not know the full package behind TLOU: R... Who knows? But to hastily conclude that this thread exists because TLOU:R was not worth the $50 is silly.

Also, you had your say on this, so what is your motive of continuing to complain about this to other people who do see the remaster's worth? All you had to do is walk away, but clearly something is bothering you that is making you stay. Remember, the value of a product depends on the person.

You seem to have had your say too, why not leave yourself? It's a forum; people discuss to their heart's content.

As for OP; definitely not a steal. You can make up your own mind as to whether or not the pricing is fair, but a steal implies being sold at much less than its value, which is simply not the case.

It's more directly towards spemanig considering that he has been complaining excessively. I even agree with his point of view, somewhat, but did you see me constantly complaining about how TLOU: R is a ripoff? No, sir. Discussing is fine, unless one repeats the same narrative over and over again, refusing to acknowledge other people's points. Freedom of speech =/= Negligence of responsibility of speaking.

goulibouli said:
And stupid people will agree, pay 50$, be disappointed, but they'll deserve it, while the producers make money for HD textures and higher frame-rate for an old-gen, 1 year old game.

Having to pay 50$ for a game that you already paid for a year ago on the same ecosystem doesn't even start to be acceptable anywhere...

You don't HAVE to buy the game again. No one is asking you to get it a second time if you already own it for the PS3. This kind of argument is ludicrous.
You never have to buy a game a second time if you've already had enough with the original version. Just like with movies, you're not forced to get the Blu Ray version if you already own the DVD. You do it just when you like the movie enough. And in BD's case, the new version costs quite a bit more than the DVD version. I don't see anyone crying and complaining about that.

In the case of TLoU, the game is still quite new on PS3, it's a best selling game, and work has been done to it to add features, both with the presentation and the content. Yet it's not selling for the price of an entirely new game...

But in the end, you buy it only if it's good value enough for you. No one is asking you to rebuy it. ¬_¬

Around the Network

For the people who are considering getting TLOU: R, a guy by the Twitch username of Jgdogg got the game really early and is livestreaming it now. Watch at your own risk (http://www.twitch.tv/jgdogg ).

His impressions of the remaster are overwhelmingly positive. Thus far, he has not experienced any framerate drops and the overall look of the game is vastly improved. From the lighting to character models, everything looks significantly better.

EDIT: Looks like Sony caught eye of the livesteam and it's been taken down.

Aura7541 said:
mysteryman said:
Aura7541 said:

It's more directly towards spemanig considering that he has been complaining excessively. I even agree with his point of view, somewhat, but did you see me constantly complaining about how TLOU: R is a ripoff? No, sir. Discussing is fine, unless one repeats the same narrative over and over again, refusing to acknowledge other people's points. Freedom of speech =/= Negligence of responsibility of speaking.

It seems to be happening on both sides of the fence though.

For me it feels like a PC game that charged extra $50 when you tried to use high/ultra settings.

I'm not buying it anyway (already played it, no desire to play again).

goulibouli said:

What makes you think people that bought the PS3 version are the only people interested in buying the PS4 version? There are several people that haven't played the game on PS3 that now have a PS4. This game is made for those people.

And even if someone that has played the PS3 version happens to buy the PS4 version... it is not you that gets to decide whether they find it worth it or not.

TheBlackNaruto said:
BillyBong said:
Lol.. All the fail analogies people come up with.. Seriously? Books? CDs? Blu-rays? Wtf? That's hardly an apples to apples comparison.

Anyways, everyone seems to forget existing owners. Which is fine. We'll see how the market responds.

But as an early adopter you already knew that there were not going to be a lot of games to play at the start of the gen. Yet you bought in none the less because there had to be SOMETHING that you wanted or douldn't wait on(I know you didn't say anything about it in this post but just figured I would mention that). And sure Ps2 to Os3 was easier thanks to BC but that even got taken out of the PS3 after a short time now NO SYSTEM is BC so again you knew what you were going into now it is just a waiting game until the system has time to build up a substansial library.

As for a fair comparison okay how about this you bought a PS4 at launch now 1yr later they release a slimmer, more realiable  PS4 with a better GPU, chipset or whatever etc for $350 or $300. Does that mean they should give you a discount on getting that PS4 since you already bought one? Because in a way it is the same situation. 

And again NO ONE who currently owns this game is being forced to buy it. But for those who NEVER played the game it is indeed a good deal. It is also a good deal for those who HAVE played the game but NEVER got a chance to play/get any of the DLC. Now if they wanted they could purschase an "enhanced version" of the game with ALL the DLC inclded for about the same if not a little less than the regular version with all DLC. 

My suggestion of the upgrade program will only benefit Sony and ND more.  How many double dippers do you honestly think there will be?  This remaster is catered to like you said.. For those who never played/bought the game.  Awesome.  But to get those who already bought it and would buy it again at a discount price.. Why wouldn't they do it?  For the most part, they already got the money from last gen from those buyers.  An upgrade fee would entice those buyers to pick it up for the ps4 also.. But not likely at $50... Or if ever if you already have the game.  We're talking about a game that got almost 8 mil unit sales on the ps3 already in 1 year.  Sony will already bank having new buyers pick it up at $50.. But they could also make more if they can get a fraction of those 8 mil buyers to buy a discounted upgrade fee to be able to continue playing a game they already have.  Not only will a portion of the mp community also move over, but Sony and ND will also get additional sales from a group that could otherwise Skip out on it altogether.  I'm not saying $50 isn't a great deal for new buyers.. But $50 for current owners is not... Especially those like myself that has already dropped between $75-90 buying the game + season pass or individual DLCs.  For myself, that's basically $125 for 1 game ( 2 versions) with the same content just to play it on my ps4.  What good is it for Sony or ND if "those that already have it, don't want to pay $50 don't have to buy it"?  Wouldn't you think they could make more if they could get those who already have it, to buy it again? Even if its at a discounted rate?

Edit.. Don't you think Activision and EA laughed all the way to the bank when they got those who transitioned from ps3 to ps4 pay $10 more for a game they already paid $60 for initially?  Do you think those same gamers would of paid another $50-60 for a ps4 version even if they already had a ps3 version of the same game? 

Man.. I hate it when your girl has to leave my place to come back to you..