By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - TLOU Dev Fires Back At Those Who Feel $50 Is Too Much For PS4 Version “It’s a Steal”

BillyBong said:
Hynad said:

Meh. Why are all the companies charging me for games I already own just so I can play them on different devices?

Why must I pay 15 bucks to play a Final Fantasy game on any device, when I own the SNES cart? Why is Nintendo charging this much for virtual console games, when I already own the original carts? They should give those games to me for free.

Ah, utopia, if only the real world was like you.

Ah... Technically, if you knew how to rip your cartridges, then you wouldn't have to pay again for your game.  The ripped ROM will play in any emu that will play it.. 

No shit, Sherlock.

Around the Network
BillyBong said:

Cost to what though?  These double dippers would essentially be playing a ps4 version of TLOU using their PS3 disc on the ps4.  As for the number of maybes.. It would definitely be bigger with a discount than without.  Even in this thread, its pretty divided as to whether previous owners are willing to shell out another $50 for a game or content they already have on the ps3.  I'm pretty sure many who will not purchase a $50 upgrade of a game they already own, like myself, would be more willing to pay an upgrade fee if it means we could take what we have and play it on the ps4.. In fact, if there had been an upgrade discount offered, there would be no issue with a remastered or pricing of the remaster being released only a year after its initial debut.  Its divided as is because those that already bought it and also have moved on to the ps4 are the ones being ignored.

Hurrr.  Let me simplify my meaning a little better. I apologize, I wasn't very clear as I was mostly in talking in simplified salesspeak.

Ok, lets break down the possible buyers of TLOU. Bear in mind that I am not an industry insider and have not studied in depth the anatomy of how the internal marketing and protibaility breakdowns are done in the video game industry.  Thus I am mostly using assumptions.  The point here is I'm just trying to illustrate what I'm trying to say using hypotheticals.

Product: TLOU

Selling Price: 50USD

Primary Target Market: First time console gamers.  Upgraders to PS4 from PS3 who didn't play TLOU. Upgraders to PS4 from Xbox360.

Secondary (Niche) Target Market: Double dippers.

The primary market above is not relevant to the discussion so let's focus on the double dipper market.

At the moment no promotion exists.

Of the double dipper market, there are those that have already decided to buy TLOU. Let us label them as "Yes'".

Of the double dipper market, there are those that will not buy (for a variety of reasons) TLOU.  Let us label them "No's".

Of the same market, there are those who are as of yet undecided. Let us label them "Maybe's".

As the Yes' have alread decided to buy, having no promo would mean that they will pay full price of 50USD for upgrade.

The conversion rate of No's to maybe's/Yes has been historically difficult and too low to warrant any focus.

The real challenge is conversion of Maybe's to Yes'.

Proposal: Introduce promotion to encourage Maybe's to convert to Yes'.

Let's say of the niche market there is an equal distribution of 200k that are Yes and about 200k that are Maybe's.

Let's intoduce a promo of 10% or 5USD to double dip upgraders.

Immediately, the direct cost of the double dipper's promo is set at (200k Yes x 5USD) 1million USD. As the Yes' were going to pay 50USD for the product anyway but now are only going to be charged 45USD.

Secondly, how many of the maybes would 5USD actually convince into converting into Yes'?  Bear in mind, cost is only one of the reasons why people are undecided at their purchase.  Other factors like substitute products (other games coming out) or lukewarm levels of interest in replaying could also be in play.

Let's assume a decent conversion of 30% of the Maybe's convert to Yes'. Or 60k new buyers.

Furthermore, there is also the reduced margins from the Maybe's that converted to Yes'. Assuming an original margin of 40% or 20USD of the 50USD.  This is now reduced to 15USD per item sold due to promo.

Tallying the numbers, it would look like this.

Direct cost of promo : 200k x 5USD = 1million USD.

Additional gross profit due to promo: 60k * 15USD = 900KUSD.

Again, none of the numbers here are real, these are just assumptions used to illustrate my point on what factors can be in play in whether or not a promo is justifiable.

It's worth the price but the 50gb install is taking the piss. It was a 50mb save on PS3!

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

spemanig said:
Kane1389 said:

Before trying to sound clever and going into the discussion like this, please learn the difference between a cross gen port and a remaster of a game (that still retails for 60$) with all the DLC included.

And given that 66% of the DLC is Multiplayer, IT DOES add the value indefinitely, provided that you play the multiplayer

Clever? Do you seriously think that a one year "remaster" of a last gen game isn't a cross gen port?

No, I dont. A remaster includes more drastic changes to the game than a simple port. Just a fact that this includes 35$ dollars extra DLC makes this NOT a port, by definition.

Do you seriously think that if they were both released at the same time, that the PS4 version would not have as much work put into it as it currently has and not look exactly the same as it does now? 

Yes because as we all know, all cross gen ports on PS4 (even the graphically less demanding ones than TLOU) so far have been 1080p 60fps with 4x the texture detail, higer res models, better lightning, better draw distence and all DLC included....

And, once again, the current market price for TLOU PS3 is $30 new, NOT $60.

No it isnt. In Gamestop it still retails for 60 euros and and in Media Markt and Saturn it still retails between 50-60 euros. This version is has a 35 bucks worth of DLC included as well as a better version of the game. On german Amazon its 40euros new

It doesn't matter if the DLC is included.

So on the question if the value is good enough, more value doesnt matter?

All of the DLC was valued, by Sony, at $20 one whole year ago.

No, it wasnt, that was the season pass.  The actual DLC costs 40$ without including the new perks and weapons and customization items.

The same way the value of TLOU has gone down by 50%, it's more than safe to assume that the value of the DLC has gone down by 50% as well. 30+10 = 40. Marketing jargon like "remaster" means jack shit just like "GOTY Edition" and "Director's Cut."

Wow, you really dont know shit about this game.  The DLC value did not go off by 50% at all. Its at the exact same price as it was when they were released.

Abbandoned Terrotiores is 10$

Reclaimed Terriotires is 10$

Left Behind is 15$

And Grounded Mode is 5$

which means you'd have to pay 40$ (because season pass no longer exists, these are the only prices available) to get the DLC on top of paying 40-60 bucks for an actual game which puts on total for 80-100 bucks for an inferior version of the game. The superior PS4 version costs you 50$ for everything included with the superior graphics and performance, so it's defintely a good deal since you get more for waay less :)

You know why Halo gets away with it's $60 Master Cheif Edition? Because all four games, even at their decreased value, are worth more than $60 together. And because every game in the bundle is over one year old.

Being old has nothing to do with value. Value is not determinted by how old the game is (unless you're one of those crazy collectors collecting rare NES games which cost tens of thousands) but rather how much content it has and how much entertaiment you're getting out of it. I'd rather pay 60$ for Super Mario Galaxy than I would 20$ MGS5, even tho the former is a 7 year old game and the latter is barely 4 months old.

If you're going to buy the game, that's you're prerogative, but all it's "stealing" is an extra $10 from your wallet.

DrDoomz said:

Hurrr.  Let me simplify my meaning a little better. I apologize, I wasn't very clear as I was mostly in talking in simplified salesspeak.

Ok, lets break down the possible buyers of TLOU. Bear in mind that I am not an industry insider and have not studied in depth the anatomy of how the internal marketing and protibaility breakdowns are done in the video game industry.  Thus I am mostly using assumptions.  The point here is I'm just trying to illustrate what I'm trying to say using hypotheticals.

Product: TLOU

Selling Price: 50USD

Primary Target Market: First time console gamers.  Upgraders to PS4 from PS3 who didn't play TLOU. Upgraders to PS4 from Xbox360.

Secondary (Niche) Target Market: Double dippers.

The primary market above is not relevant to the discussion so let's focus on the double dipper market.

At the moment no promotion exists.

Of the double dipper market, there are those that have already decided to buy TLOU. Let us label them as "Yes'".

Of the double dipper market, there are those that will not buy (for a variety of reasons) TLOU.  Let us label them "No's".

Of the same market, there are those who are as of yet undecided. Let us label them "Maybe's".

As the Yes' have alread decided to buy, having no promo would mean that they will pay full price of 50USD for upgrade.

The conversion rate of No's to maybe's/Yes has been historically difficult and too low to warrant any focus.

The real challenge is conversion of Maybe's to Yes'.

Proposal: Introduce promotion to encourage Maybe's to convert to Yes'.

Let's say of the niche market there is an equal distribution of 200k that are Yes and about 200k that are Maybe's.

Let's intoduce a promo of 10% or 5USD to double dip upgraders.

Immediately, the direct cost of the double dipper's promo is set at (200k Yes x 5USD) 1million USD. As the Yes' were going to pay 50USD for the product anyway but now are only going to be charged 45USD.

Secondly, how many of the maybes would 5USD actually convince into converting into Yes'?  Bear in mind, cost is only one of the reasons why people are undecided at their purchase.  Other factors like substitute products (other games coming out) or lukewarm levels of interest in replaying could also be in play.

Let's assume a decent conversion of 30% of the Maybe's convert to Yes'. Or 60k new buyers.

Furthermore, there is also the reduced margins from the Maybe's that converted to Yes'. Assuming an original margin of 40% or 20USD of the 50USD.  This is now reduced to 15USD per item sold due to promo.

Tallying the numbers, it would look like this.

Direct cost of promo : 200k x 5USD = 1million USD.

Additional gross profit due to promo: 60k * 15USD = 900KUSD.

Again, none of the numbers here are real, these are just assumptions used to illustrate my point on what factors can be in play in whether or not a promo is justifiable.

well.. i get what you are trying to say.. but at the same time, those that you lable as "no", could very well be "no" because of pricing point.  The double dip market only works when people see enough value in the product to buy it again.  Those that do choose to double dip and would buy @$50 I assume makes up a smaller number than those that would double dip and buy at a lower price point.  how much?  it's all speculation. but it seems enough people last gen are interested in the remastered.. just who will take the additional $50 plunge on top of what they already paid for previously on the game?   Not many will go and repurchase a 1yo game they already have, even if it means being able to play it on new gen.   At a lower price point tho, those double dippers at 'maybe' could definitely end up being 'yes' because the incentive and the value is there.  And those double dippers at 'yes' would be at yes regardless. 

for myself, it's hard to see the 'value' of the the game @ another $50 if you already have it on the ps3.  $50 for what technically?  1080/60 vs 720/30?  content is literally the same. 

like i've said.. i think $50 is awesome for those that never played/bought the game.. but $50 for those that already bought the game last year.. there's no incentive.  better graphic fidelity & included DLC just don't justify a repurchase at $50, especially if you already own all the content.  we'll see how this all plays out when the game drops.  I'm most interested in the double dippers that are willing to buy the game again.  i personally predict double dippers will make up less than 10% (optimistic) of total remastered sales..

Man.. I hate it when your girl has to leave my place to come back to you..

Around the Network

For a game you claim to have sold 7mil copies, this should have been a dash or at best $40. We are gamers and we keep you in business, try to humble yourself and listen to use. It is shit comments like this that ruins studios.

Check these hilarious commentsFunny Comments and replies

spynx said:
For a game you claim to have sold 7mil copies, this should have been a dash or at best $40. We are gamers and we keep you in business, try to humble yourself and listen to use. It is shit comments like this that ruins studios.

Nope. It's not comments like that that ruin studios. If you said that gamers being the self- entitled brats that they are are part of what ruins studios, then you'd be onto something. The prices for new games have remained the same for the last 20 years despite inflation and the costs of production going up. 

DD_Bwest said:

you say its not about you being cheap, then proceed to explain how your cheap.

Whining about not getting a discount on something, that is already cheaper then its comparison is the very definition of cheap.  you may not like it,  and it might be hard for you to accept, but you are cheap.

actually it's about being a smart consumer.  are you lemming enough to just buy because you have the money?  lol.. so you don't go comparing  values of product before purchase, or do you take it as it is and just swipe away?  it's funny.. but go right ahead.  rebuy the same game you already own with the same content on top of what you already paid for it intitally and tell me that's "smart" shopping because you see the value in it.  no wonder companies can get away with what they are doing.. consumers like you lap it all up because you have no sense.. paid DLC.. paid unlocked on-disc dlcs.. yearly iphone iterations.. yearly smartphone iterations.. yearly iterations of anything really.. etc.. guess it's fine and dandy when you living large, eh?

JinxRake said:
BillyBong said:
Lol.. All the fail analogies people come up with.. Seriously? Books? CDs? Blu-rays? Wtf? That's hardly an apples to apples comparison.

Anyways, everyone seems to forget existing owners. Which is fine. We'll see how the market responds.

Please explain, in your own words, how this is different from an upgrade from a VHS to a DVD to a BluRay. I'm quite curious to see what's your reasoning here.

Both feature basically the same thing:

- same content, uprezzed for better image quality;

- extra content in the form of DLC in this case, behind the scenes extras in the movies case. 

So...how is it different?

sorry for the late reply..

as for your question, it's not a simple comparison as upgrading from VHS to DVD to Bluray.  What this product basically is 2 iterations of the same blu-ray.  HD content, DLCs, extra content, etc.. are already available in both packages, the only difference you're talking about is 720/30 vs 1080/60/30.  The closest comparison i could make is something like an MP3 quality at 128kbits vs an MP3 quality at 160kbits.  content's the same.. you're missing out on nothing other than the extra "clarity", which in TLOUR case, is extra "pixels".

anyways.. i'm done with this topic. If it's a "steal" to existing owners.. then let it be a steal for ND/Sony.. because they just suckered these gamers into buying a 1yo game twice at almost full retail again. that's my opinion.. justify it what you want.. but have fun playing the same game you already own for $50 more just to tell us playing at 1080/60 was worth the additional cost.