By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - TLOU Dev Fires Back At Those Who Feel $50 Is Too Much For PS4 Version “It’s a Steal”

spemanig said:
DD_Bwest said:
If you buy a pair of skis, the next year the newer edition of the same type will cost you the exact same as everyone else. Sure buying a whole new pair of skis at full price may be a rip off to you, since you already have them. But they are properly valued for everyone else. Companies are in the business of making money, not giving things away.

if you wait a few years for them to come down and buy them, thats being thrifty.
if you rally against the company in a pathetic attempt to get a deal, you are cheap

There is nothing wrong with being either, its just a good idea to know where YOU stand

Wanting to buy a product for what it's worth is not being cheap. Wanting to buy a product for less than it's worth is being cheap. Someone saying that the Halo: MCE is a rip off, for example, is being cheap.

it costs more to buy the ps3 version.  just because you already own a product, it doesnt change the value and price of a product

edit:  I think your having a hard time seeing the difference between your percieved value,  and a products actual retail value.

I am Torgo, I take care of the place while the master is away.

"Hes the clown that makes the dark side fun.. Torgo!"

Ha.. i won my bet, but i wasnt around to gloat because im on a better forum!  See ya guys on Viz

Around the Network
spemanig said:

1) No, I'm criticizing something I don't plan on buying. Why are you saying that like you've "got" me? What does me not buying the game have anything to do with whether or not the game itselft is a rip off? 

2) How does calling a product a ripoff imply the casting of judgement on the person purchasing the product. 

3) It should be less because that's what video game software that is one year old does. It drops. It's not because I say so. It's because basic economy says so.

4) What makes you think that a full game can drop in value, but it's extra content is immune from that very same drop? Is DLC now more valuable than the content it's tacked on to? No, it isn't.

It is legit. If you don't think it is legit, argue your point. Don't just quote my words and then add "lol" or an elipsis at the end like that somehow proves your point.

1) Many companies price their products based on the wants and needs of their target market. Value based pricing uses percieved value of the consumers in order to determine proper pricing amounts. Being as that you're not their target market, you would have little or no impact on that part of their decision making. It's kinda like a beer drinker complaining about how overpriced fine wine is.

The only way you'd have a clear case is that if an exact product (a PS4 TLOU w/o the bundles priced at $30) existed (not a hypothetical one) and you can comparatively place the pricing side-by-side.  Otherwise you're using hypotheticals to dictate how real world pricing should be done, which is unrealistic.

2) By calling the product a blatant rip-off, you're implying that people are patsies for buying it.

3) Basic economics is supply and demand.  No supply of Season Passes, potentially still some demand for it. Would you think the price would go up or down? 

4) Products drop in value because sellers either want to dispose of last remaining inventory ( usually before new ones come in) or because the percieved value (due to market forces such as competition or obsoloscence) go down or such as when manufacturing costs go down and they want to pass on the savings to the consumer usually to open up new markets (there are other reasons, no doubt but those are what I can think so top-of-my-head been over a decade since my last econ class).  They don't drop because some people believe that a certain time limit is up and that the price should normally drop by then, that's not how ecnonomics work.

Ka-pi96 said:

Doesn't seem many here agree with you though. Most seem to think it IS worth the price they are charging, just wait a couple more weeks when the sales figures are released then we can really see what people thought of it.

@DD_Bwest very good analogy, I agree

I like it because i know a guy who works for K2 and have goten to try out a bunch haha

I was going to use a gangster and gold chains,  then i realize to a gangster, more blang is always worth it lol

Ha.. i won my bet, but i wasnt around to gloat because im on a better forum!  See ya guys on Viz

DD_Bwest said:

it costs more to buy the ps3 version.  just because you already own a product, it doesnt change the value and price of a product

edit:  I think your having a hard time seeing the difference between your percieved value,  and a products actual retail value.

No it doesn't. No I'm not. Never said it does. $30 new for the PS3 version. $50 new for the PS4 version. Retail value, not percieved.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Last-Us-Playstation-3/dp/B007CM0K86

spemanig said:
DD_Bwest said:

No it doesn't. No I'm not. Never said it does. $30 new for the PS3 version. $50 new for the PS4 version. Retail value, not percieved.

And yet, you quickly forget that the PS3 version does not have all the content that the PS4 version has...

Around the Network
Aura7541 said:

And yet, you quickly forget that the PS3 version does not have all the content that the PS4 version has...

No I don't, but that's already been discussed.

spemanig said:
Aura7541 said:

No I don't, but that's already been discussed.

And yet, the discussion was not persuasive at all... Look, I personally don't see the value of it, but I agree with the others that you're making this a much bigger deal than necessary.

spemanig said:
DD_Bwest said:

ah i see your ignoring DLC.    Whatever floats your boat to put your mind at ease about being cheap

and thats amazon,  Sonys retail price is 39.99        sony doesnt play price matching with amazon

DrDoomz said:

1) Many companies price their products based on the wants and needs of their target market. Value based pricing uses percieved value of the consumers in order to determine proper pricing amounts. Being as that you're not their target market, you would have little or no impact on that part of their decision making. It's kinda like a beer drinker complaining about how overpriced fine wine is.

The only way you'd have a clear case is that if an exact product (a PS4 TLOU w/o the bundles priced at $30) existed (not a hypothetical one) and you can comparatively place the pricing side-by-side.  Otherwise you're using hypotheticals to dictate how real world pricing should be done, which is unrealistic.

Just as many companies base their prices on how they can make the most money, regardless of market value. It doesn't matter my personal impact on decision making. If a beer drinker saw 3 leters of franzia red going for $20 and he said "hey, that's over priced," he'd be right. Who cares if he only drinks beer?

Exact product parellels exist like that everywhere. Every cross gen game is valued the same. Even if they didn't exist everywhere, hypotheticals are not unrealistic. They are hypotheticals. You use them, just like you said, to dictate how real world pricing should be done. That's isn't unrealistic. That's how prices are made in the first place. 

2) By calling the product a blatant rip-off, you're implying that people are patsies for buying it.

No I'm not.

3) Basic economics is supply and demand.  No supply of Season Passes, potentially still some demand for it. Would you think the price would go up or down? 

The point of a season pass is to get DLC for cheaper. Of course it would go down.

4) Products drop in value because sellers either want to dispose of last remaining inventory ( usually before new ones come in) or because the percieved value (due to market forces such as competition or obsoloscence) go down or such as when manufacturing costs go down and they want to pass on the savings to the consumer usually to open up new markets (there are other reasons, no doubt but those are what I can think so top-of-my-head been over a decade since my last econ class).  They don't drop because some people believe that a certain time limit is up and that the price should normally drop by then, that's not how ecnonomics work.

Never said that was how economics works. WW GCN costs more than TLOU for the PS3. 

DD_Bwest said:

ah i see your ignoring DLC.    Whatever floats your boat to put your mind at ease about being cheap

and thats amazon,  Sonys retail price is 39.99        sony doesnt play price matching with amazon

No I'm not. I already discussed DLC.

Sony's pricing is overpriced. Sony doesn't play price matching with the worth of a product, obviously. If TLOU:R was worth $50, this thread would not exist, because a ND dev wouldn't feel the need to defend the pricing because everyone would be fine with the pricing.