By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - If you could change 1 thing about a console what would it be?

VanceIX said:
mornelithe said:

These devs/pubs bitch and moan about the costs of development, then kneecap their franchises by not allowing mods, which as you say, adds longer legs than they could ever hope to do on their own.  Will it work for every IP?  Probably not, but for those it does...the sky's the limit.

Don't blame developers or publishers, blame the platform. To mod effectively, you need access to a lot of system resources, which the console manufacturers certainly won't provide. 

A lot of those devs leave their games wide open for mods on PC, because it is much more open than the consoles.

That's a fairly unique perspective on history there.  I prefer to look at it, like they sold out so that they could suck the end-user dry in a closed environment, by offering over-priced DLC and map packs. LittlebigPlant embraced it, in a fashion, and look at the result?  Millions of user generated maps, some of which got people hired at Media Molecule.  

"Some" devs leave their games wide open for mods, on PC.  Some.  I would not consider the amount a lot, or even a chunk.

It's now 2014, providing mod tools to the community was something that was an industry standard on PC, prior to last gen.  You can't tell me it's too much to ask now.  That excuse doesn't float with me, especially, since we're talking 3 pieces of static hardware. (Not trying to take it out on you, mind you, this subject just pisses me right off heh).  It would take very little for thease companies to set up a website for uploading, rating, commeting on etc... mods, accessible by the PS4/XB1/Wii U etc... 

The only technical side of it would be the download/installation utility, but again, for people who made the actual engine, I doubt highly that's a stumbling block.

Around the Network

PS4: BC as stated with PS1,2,3 games. I'd pay $1000 for this console. My best PS3 was my 60gb even though it was the most expensive.

Sadly, I can understand why sony took the cheaper route

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

mornelithe said:
VanceIX said:
mornelithe said:

These devs/pubs bitch and moan about the costs of development, then kneecap their franchises by not allowing mods, which as you say, adds longer legs than they could ever hope to do on their own.  Will it work for every IP?  Probably not, but for those it does...the sky's the limit.

Don't blame developers or publishers, blame the platform. To mod effectively, you need access to a lot of system resources, which the console manufacturers certainly won't provide. 

A lot of those devs leave their games wide open for mods on PC, because it is much more open than the consoles.

That's a fairly unique perspective on history there.  I prefer to look at it, like they sold out so that they could suck the end-user dry in a closed environment, by offering over-priced DLC and map packs. LittlebigPlant embraced it, in a fashion, and look at the result?  Millions of user generated maps, some of which got people hired at Media Molecule.  

"Some" devs leave their games wide open for mods, on PC.  Some.  I would not consider the amount a lot, or even a chunk.

It's now 2014, providing mod tools to the community was something that was an industry standard on PC, prior to last gen.  You can't tell me it's too much to ask now.  That excuse doesn't float with me, especially, since we're talking 3 pieces of static hardware. (Not trying to take it out on you, mind you, this subject just pisses me right off heh).  It would take very little for thease companies to set up a website for uploading, rating, commeting on etc... mods, accessible by the PS4/XB1/Wii U etc... 

The only technical side of it would be the download/installation utility, but again, for people who made the actual engine, I doubt highly that's a stumbling block.

LittleBigPlanet wasn't modding though. LittleBigPlanet had user-generated content, like levels and maps, but users were unable to play around with the entire infastructure of the game, like mods on PC do. Take Skyrim. You can replace all the textures, and meshes in the game, add new types of lighting, and completely change the gameplay. You can't do that on console because things like lighting/textures/meshes require extensive use of system resources, which Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo simply won't provide to anyone but devs. Other things, like user-generated maps and such are possible, but they aren't mods per se since they were always a part of the game.

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

Wii U: More power

PS4: Backwards compatibility (I wanna play my PS3 games =/)

Xbox One: More AAA exclusives 

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

VanceIX said:

That's a fairly unique perspective on history there.  I prefer to look at it, like they sold out so that they could suck the end-user dry in a closed environment, by offering over-priced DLC and map packsLittlebigPlant embraced it, in a fashion, and look at the result?  Millions of user generated maps, some of which got people hired at Media Molecule.  

LittleBigPlanet wasn't modding though. LittleBigPlanet had user-generated content, like levels and maps, but users were unable to play around with the entire infastructure of the game, like mods on PC do. Take Skyrim. You can replace all the textures, and meshes in the game, add new types of lighting, and completely change the gameplay. You can't do that on console because things like lighting/textures/meshes require extensive use of system resources, which Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo simply won't provide to anyone but devs. Other things, like user-generated maps and such are possible, but they aren't mods per se since they were always a part of the game.

Neither are map packs, see the bolded, and understand I even mentioned that it wasn't quite mods.  Come on...

Beyond that, it's my wish list, not yours.  Your agreement, or acceptance is not a prerequisite.

Around the Network
mornelithe said:
VanceIX said:

That's a fairly unique perspective on history there.  I prefer to look at it, like they sold out so that they could suck the end-user dry in a closed environment, by offering over-priced DLC and map packsLittlebigPlant embraced it, in a fashion, and look at the result?  Millions of user generated maps, some of which got people hired at Media Molecule.  

Neither are map packs, see the bolded, and understand I even mentioned that it wasn't quite mods.  Come on...

Beyond that, it's my wish list, not yours.  Your agreement, or acceptance is not a prerequisite.

You said LittleBigPlanet embraced modding in a fashion. In no way is that even close to embracing modding in any kind of fashion, map packs and level editing have been around forever.

And I was simply pointing out that you shouldn't be getting angry at developers for not offering mods on a platform where it isn't possible. Too many people on this thread seem to believe that developers can magically make modding happen on consoles, when they can't. Next time, be more specific and just say level-editing and map making.

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

VanceIX said:

You said LittleBigPlanet embraced modding in a fashion. In no way is that even close to embracing modding in any kind of fashion, map packs and level editing have been around forever.

And I was simply pointing out that you shouldn't be getting angry at developers for not offering mods on a platform where it isn't possible. Too many people on this thread seem to believe that developers can magically make modding happen on consoles, when they can't. Next time, be more specific and just say level-editing and map making.

To say it isn't possible is ridiculous and lazy, sorry that's just a total crock.  Would it present challenges?  Sure.  Is it beyond the scope of coders everywhere?  Absolutely not.  Restricting map sizes based on assets used, or other such tricks would be incredibly easy to do.  No, it wouldn't be like PC modding, where you'd have full access to all the resources.  But, you could have a basic framework that allowed the users to create without overloading the system.  Injecting your own sounds for stuff, or enemy models ala Doom?  No problem.

Besides, even if they were given more access (which would be possible if developers simply cared enough to request it from Sony/MS, it would definitely require an en-masse request, though), there are some modders out there more than up to the task of metting out the resources they have to work with.  One merely needs to look at the Stalker Lost Alpha mod to know devs/pubs aren't the only ones with brilliant designers.

It could be done, if they cared enough too.  They like their little cash cow revenue streams though, hopefully, they also enjoy watching studios crash and burn as their cash grabs fail more times than their successes.  But, I guess the silver lining there is there's always mobile.  I do not absolve devs/publishers from falling in line with Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo in this closed network bullshit, they signed on because they saw dollar signs, nothing more, nothing less.

Again though, this is my wish list.  You don't have to agree...I'm not asking you to.  I just think mods would open up a whole new world for consoles, and a great one at that.

I would have the Wii U's main controller be an updated gamecube controller with a z button on the left as well as right, and a better c stick.

Gamecube controller for life.

WiiU: more first party games
Xbone: BC
PS4: BC

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

PS4- Nothing it's perfect
Xbone- More powerful or remove the negative conception around it.
Wii U- make it more like the Xbone or PS4 in terms of online service.