By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Microsoft CEO Nadella: don't confuse Xbox with company's "core"

spemanig said:
Garland said:

This. The Xbox brand is much less important to Microsoft than with the Playstation brand being more important to Sony. Or with Nintendo's consoles & handhelds being important to Nintendo.

...Sony is a computer hardware company. Playstation is in the same position as Xbox. It's not part or Sony's core business either.

Eh...no. Sony is a consumer electronics and media company. making the Playstation (consumer electronics) and gaming (media) very core to their business. 

MS is morphing into a services company, something with increasingly distances Xbox from MS's core focus. 

Around the Network
czecherychestnut said:
spemanig said:

...Sony is a computer hardware company. Playstation is in the same position as Xbox. It's not part or Sony's core business either.

Eh...no. Sony is a consumer electronics and media company. making the Playstation (consumer electronics) and gaming (media) very core to their business. 

MS is morphing into a services company, something with increasingly distances Xbox from MS's core focus. 

It could be argued Xbox was always just a means of pushing their software and services.

Xbox is something MS does to appeal to certain markets, but its not a big focus to them for financial reasons.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

And some people still don't think that their end goal is a cloud console....

I LOVE ICELAND!

personal opinion..
xbox isn't core to their business, but one would think it's an integral component to their core business. from what it sounds/seems like, the xbox brand itself could be more marketable and profitable as something else other than as a console, for instance say if "xbox" shifted over to something like a mobile gaming platform/service for MS phones, tablets, windows, etc. that completely utilizes their cloud infrastructure. That could help drive up sales and market share for their core businesses more so than continue wasting/losing billions into a console market where they hardly profit enough to recoup costs. If the xbox console wasn't owned by MS, anyone seriously think the plug wouldn't of been pulled already? the brand itself is worth more than the product at this point.
If the focus of MS are shifted to mainly mobile-first and cloud-first from the present onward, then i doubt MS will ever release another physical xbox console. xbox of the future could likely be a gaming service.

Man.. I hate it when your girl has to leave my place to come back to you..

czecherychestnut said:
spemanig said:
Garland said:

This. The Xbox brand is much less important to Microsoft than with the Playstation brand being more important to Sony. Or with Nintendo's consoles & handhelds being important to Nintendo.

No it isn't. The only people who believe that are gamers who don't know better

Around the Network

Game media is just selective with his comments. But in reality the whole context of what he is say is entirely different than what's being feed to us.

CGI-Quality said:

If that's their goal, they aren't doing a very good job, at least not this time around. I'm one of the few that thinks differently, however. I believe last gen, they want to stop the onslaught of PlayStation. Much of what they did worked! Problem is, they didn't give the best follow-up.

I, too, believe they'll remain in the industry, but hardly to "stop the PlayStation". There's probably not much they can do without seriously hurting themselves.

I think the lesson last gen was: when you hurt your competitor, you have to kill it and dominate. Sega hurted Nintendo with the Genesis but didn't managed to kill them and we know who is in the market today. MS managed to be competitive, but they never managed to be good enough to become leaders on the market like Sony and Nintendo did several times.

I think their original goal was the same as usual: have a Windows/MS device on peoples desks (PC), living room (XBox) and pockets (mobile). The last two never worked because there was other companies that were more competitive and adapted to this markets.

LudicrousSpeed said:
Wow, I know this is VGC but the flood of doomsday nonsense is still a little surprising. Especially given that the email he sent only days ago regarding Xbox is easily viewable by anyone.

A little context would help most of you out. Microsoft is a huge company worth many times more than Sony and Nintendo combined. Not being part of the "core business" does not mean it's irrelevant or something. They have the manpower and money to still be a major contender in the market.

This. They recently hired a next generation xbox super dude, remember? Hope this classifies as internet "proof!"

Are they reading too much into it or not reading enough? 

spemanig said:

No it isn't. The only people who believe that are gamers who don't know better

Actually it is after the restruturaction Kaz made and he said it himself in several ocasions. Their core business are mobile, imaging technology, PS and maybe TV. It makes sense since they are an electronics company. All of these are electronic products. For MS, their core is software and services based around their softwares. So XBox wouldn't be a core part because it is a videogame, but you could argue that if it is running Windows and taking it to the living room it actually is. This depends on the companies point of view about it.

Anyway, not being part of your core doesn't make it won't get attention. It means that it's a big "maybe" and that's normal with CEO changes. The point here is that MS is becoming more business oriented than consumer oriented so they need to focus in this kind of thing.

kowenicki said:
I'm staggered (who am i kidding) at the way some of you are reading all of this. I am even more amazed some of you see is as some sort of doom announcement for MS.

Doom all you want... meanwhile MS spend $7bn on nokia devices and will post another huge profit for the year.... They have increased profits pretty much year on year for a while now with no sign of that letting up .

As for his references to Xbox... it is very clear he seen synergy, development opportunities that cross divisions and opportunities for it to add to the brand of MS. For what they spend on Xbox as a proportion of their income and other expenditure. its likely a bargain.

I actually see all of these statements as a nod to shareholders. He is reassuring them that he understands their core and that he is focussed on it but that Xbox can be a good and very useful addition to that core.

Whoever is looking at this as doom is taking it too far.