By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The mobile market shows the danger of parity

VanceIX said:

1. Trust me, the current consoles are already far outpaced by PCs and it's just going to get worse from here, so the Crisis comparison is very accurate.

2. Yes, there is a reason they list optimal specs. That's what I'm saying. You will always have the option of playing a lower-quality version of a game on PC if your hardware can't run it. Doesn't mean that the high-end option needs to be held back at all, so I don't see your point.

1. You seem to have this all twisted, albeit very typical to most Pc types I see posting. Lets understand something here. Far outpaced by PCs. Do you realize that for that statement to be either true/accurate it would mean that the cheapest hardware you can find for PCs far outpaces that of the current gen consoles? Better yet, it means that the average hardware you will find in any and all PCs will be far more powerful that what you have in consoles. That is simply not the case.

Right now, you can buy a GPUs that are power identical (not performance) to what you have in consoles. Are you trying to tell us that that means that anyone in the PC world that buys GPUs like that are buying into completely outdated hardware? Unless I have PC gaming all outta whack, I though the strenght of PCs were that they were upgradeable, and there is basically a price point for everyone to get into.

I think its silly when PC gamers talk down console performance then when the console guys tell them that to get PC hardware that can flat run circles around consoles would require over $1000 worth of hardware the PC guys then coyly respond with "no, not all PC gaming is expensive, you can get a a decent PC for just a little more than a console's price".  By that reasoning it seems to only be ok to have console grade hardware when its in a PC but when said hardware is in a console its deemed inferior. Or am I missing something? And PC guys seem to forget that the specs are just the tools used to build a game. A game that has 16x MSAA isn't automatically better looking than a game that uses 2x FXAA. Unfortunately I fear that fact is lost to some PC gamers now.

2. The high end options are not held back. Its just wrong saying this or that a lot of you think that. A dev has the right to scale back their game if there are ceratin core assets that would make the game impossible to run on their minimum requirements. Using the watchdogs example, the PC guys are all over ubi for gimping their game. Thats just bullshit, a simple way to test this; play watchdogs on a PC that at "most" meets their minimum requirements. Take note of the settings you need to have enabled to get at least 30fps.

Then patch the game to run with the disabled assets and files that you guys claim ubi ommitted to gimp the game for parity. If the games performance doesn't drop to unplayable levels then you guys are right and it was gimped. If it drops, then that tells you exactly why they removed those features in the first place. 

And thats the point of all this, devs develop so a majority of gamers will get the best possible experience their hardware can allow, not for the 5% of gamers that have extremely powerful hardware that can do wonders to an engine.

Around the Network
Intrinsic said:
VanceIX said:

1. Trust me, the current consoles are already far outpaced by PCs and it's just going to get worse from here, so the Crisis comparison is very accurate.

2. Yes, there is a reason they list optimal specs. That's what I'm saying. You will always have the option of playing a lower-quality version of a game on PC if your hardware can't run it. Doesn't mean that the high-end option needs to be held back at all, so I don't see your point.

1. You seem to have this all twisted, albeit very typical to most Pc types I see posting. Lets understand something here. Far outpaced by PCs. Do you realize that for that statement to be either true/accurate it would mean that the cheapest hardware you can find for PCs far outpaces that of the current gen consoles? Better yet, it means that the average hardware you will find in any and all PCs will be far more powerful that what you have in consoles. That is simply not the case.

Right now, you can buy a GPUs that are power identical (not performance) to what you have in consoles. Are you trying to tell us that that means that anyone in the PC world that buys GPUs like that are buying into completely outdated hardware? Unless I have PC gaming all outta whack, I though the strenght of PCs were that they were upgradeable, and there is basically a price point for everyone to get into.

I think its silly when PC gamers talk down console performance then when the console guys tell them that to get PC hardware that can flat run circles around consoles would require over $1000 worth of hardware the PC guys then coyly respond with "no, not all PC gaming is expensive, you can get a a decent PC for just a little more than a console's price".  By that reasoning it seems to only be ok to have console grade hardware when its in a PC but when said hardware is in a console its deemed inferior. Or am I missing something? And PC guys seem to forget that the specs are just the tools used to build a game. A game that has 16x MSAA isn't automatically better looking than a game that uses 2x FXAA. Unfortunately I fear that fact is lost to some PC gamers now.

2. The high end options are not held back. Its just wrong saying this or that a lot of you think that. A dev has the right to scale back their game if there are ceratin core assets that would make the game impossible to run on their minimum requirements. Using the watchdogs example, the PC guys are all over ubi for gimping their game. Thats just bullshit, a simple way to test this; play watchdogs on a PC that at "most" meets their minimum requirements. Take note of the settings you need to have enabled to get at least 30fps.

Then patch the game to run with the disabled assets and files that you guys claim ubi ommitted to gimp the game for parity. If the games performance doesn't drop to unplayable levels then you guys are right and it was gimped. If it drops, then that tells you exactly why they removed those features in the first place. 

And thats the point of all this, devs develop so a majority of gamers will get the best possible experience their hardware can allow, not for the 5% of gamers that have extremely powerful hardware that can do wonders to an engine.

1. I should have just stopped reading at bold. The PS4 is equivalent to a 7870, a mid-tier GPU from almost two years ago. It also has AMD APU architecture, which is completely outpaced by Intel i5/i7. A 7970, a top-tier GPU from last generation, easily beats the PS4 in terms of graphical performance. If you used a 290x or 780 for comparison, you would get even more skewed results. If you don't know about PCs like the rest of us "Pc types", at least look up the facts before you post. 

2. They don't have to completely get rid of those core assets for the high-end crowd. And have you seen Watch Dogs reccomended specs? Any PC with those specs should easily play with the high level of graphics that they decided to not include. 

Also, did you miss where it was found that the game actually ran better with the old graphics installed? That means that the game would have been better, period, with the old graphics, no matter what graphics settings you used.

small44 said:

I never see any number about those games

The source about  98% of mobile games revenues is f2p:

http://venturebeat.com/2014/06/23/google-play-growing-growing-growing-downloads-up-1-5x-revenue-up-2-5x/

Yes, because most developers on mobile are very small and with very few assets, making it hard for them to make large games, resulting in the vast majority of games on the market being F2P garbage. The developers that actually do manage to make a nice game almost always sell it at a price, which is what I was demonstrating. Dragon Quest VIII, for example, goes for $19.99 on the Play Store and is doing awesome there.

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

Intrinsic said:
Smear-Gel said:
There's no way to remedy this because sales of a game on one platform will be greatly affected by people thinking the experience is too different.

The Wii U isn't all that weaker than other 8th Gen consoles and 3rd party sales are still cannibalized by differing experiences. Widening that gap will affect sales for every console.

The answer would be to have more exclusive games on each system to push hardware but that also has problems. People only like exclusives when it's on the console they own and companies like widening the install base.

I generally agree with all you said with exception to the part I bolded. The wiiU is really that much weaker when compared to other 8th gen consoles in every single sense of the word. Ths isn't even a discussion, there isn't one single minute hardware detail that the wiiU does better than any of the other 8th gen consoles, and where it pales it pales by a lot. What the wiiU has got oing for it is that majority of its games are exclusives so its never in those situations where direct comparisons can be made between it and other 8th gen consoles. There is a certain level of IQ you will see on the PS4/XB1 that you will just never see on the wiiU. And anyone that thinks this isn't true, probably only has a wiiU and not the other 8th gen consoles. 

I dont know or care enough about game specs to argue this at all, but either way it doesnt really mess up my argument too much.

Don't worry about it.

Microsoft will go mobile so they are going to save and dominate the mobile gaming industry for upcoming generations, Nintendo will go back to their trading card game bussiness and Sony? Out of bussiness.

VanceIX said:
Ka-pi96 said:
Wait, did you just say mobile phones were insanely powerful? Insanely powerful?

Compared to handheld consoles, yes. Octo-core vs quad core, 64 bit architecture, four-six times the memory, much better dedicated graphics, etc.

What phone has a 8 core CPU?

Current consoles: Wii U, Gaming PC

Add me on Wii U! Adamjh99

Add me on Steam! GamingByAdam

Around the Network
Adameh said:
VanceIX said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Compared to handheld consoles, yes. Octo-core vs quad core, 64 bit architecture, four-six times the memory, much better dedicated graphics, etc.

Galaxy S4 and Galaxy S5, international editions.

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s5_(octa_core)-6237.php

VanceIX said:
Adameh said:
VanceIX said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Oh yeah, but that seems a little overkill for a  phone

Current consoles: Wii U, Gaming PC

Add me on Wii U! Adamjh99

Add me on Steam! GamingByAdam

Adameh said:
VanceIX said:

Oh yeah, but that seems a little overkill for a  phone

Oh it is, no doubt. The only application that could probably take full advantage of 8 cores is a game, and seeing as that nobody makes high-end games for mobile...

VanceIX said:

1. I should have just stopped reading at bold. The PS4 is equivalent to a 7870, a mid-tier GPU from almost two years ago. It also has AMD APU architecture, which is completely outpaced by Intel i5/i7. A 7970, a top-tier GPU from last generation, easily beats the PS4 in terms of graphical performance. If you used a 290x or 780 for comparison, you would get even more skewed results. If you don't know about PCs like the rest of us "Pc types", at least look up the facts before you post. 

2. They don't have to completely get rid of those core assets for the high-end crowd. And have you seen Watch Dogs reccomended specs? Any PC with those specs should easily play with the high level of graphics that they decided to not include. 

Also, did you miss where it was found that the game actually ran better with the old graphics installed? That means that the game would have been better, period, with the old graphics, no matter what graphics settings you used.

I enjoy having these kinda discussions with "PC types" such as yourself. Cause for some strange reason you feel that cause I have a preference in Consoles that I am clueless as to what goes into a PC. All this would be even funnier if you had any idea what i did for a living. Makes it all the nicer when I show just how clueless you are... well that or you are aware of all this and just biased, which kinda is even worse.

First though, lets talk about power and performance, Please... keep an open mind. Don't wanna have to repeat any/all of this again. In the below table you will see the PS4 GPU and the closest comparable Volcanic Islands GPU (the current generation R series AMD GPUs)

PS4 AMD R9 270 (released nov 2013) $179
PIXEL SHADERS 1152 1280 (+10%)
VERTEX SHADERS 72 80 (+10%)
TMU (texture mapping units) 32 32
CLOCK 800Mhz 900Mhz (+12%)
MEM. BANDWIDTH 176 179 (+6%)
PERFORMANCE 1843 GFlops

2304 GFlops (+20%)

The R9 series are using the exact same GCN architecture that the PS4 is using, that is why the vertex shaders and TMUs per GCN core all match. And while thereis not doubt that the closest AMD R series GPU to the PS4 is pushing better numbers across the board when directly compared to what you have in the PS4, that isn't taking into account that teh PS4 is a console and consoles are known to push way above their weight class for easons that I am going to assume you already know so I wont have to get into here. So how's that PS4 has a GPU from 2 years ago BS that you wee saying. And I didnt even add the compute capaable cores to this table, if I had done that you would find that the PS4s GPU has more compute capable cores than the R9 270. Yes you can always get more powerful GPUs for your PC, they will just cost more. And we are talking about just GPUs here and not the rest of your PC.

Your CPU argument is irrelevant, especially if you have a basic understanding of how games use a CPU. and how a CPU is used in a console compared to a PC. I will just give you a small hint, when running a game on consoles, 6 of the 8 available cpu cores are used exclusively to run the game. There is nothing on that system that is competing for CPU resoruces in a console. But its really good seeing how much of PCs you seem to know. 

Hasn't PC had that sort of problem in, like, forever? A mid-level gaming PC from 3 years ago isn't going to handle ultra settings for a PC game released today. But PC game devs allow for adustable settings so a game can be [played on a wider range of machines but not gimp the experience for people with top line gaming rigs. All the mobile folks need to do with high performance games is allow for lower settings just like has been the case for PC games.

The situation is completely different between console and PC. Devs do not have to make a game capable on running on several devices. They don't put one version of the game out for consoles and PC, they put 3 (or 4) version out: one for each platform. The problem here is 1, the lead platform for development, if that's not PC then PC gets a somewhat lesser port, and 2, wanting to reduce porting costs to a minimum to make the whole multiplatform venture as profitable as possible, so leading to slight underperformance on all platforms that are not the lead platform.

In this gen the lead development platform for multiplats should be PC, with down porting for the consoles. Given the similarity to PC of the hardware architecture for at least PS4 and Xb one it should be the best generation in forever for developing on PC and porting to console and having high quality for all platforms.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix