By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What is success for wii u?

Tagged games:

25 million lifetime, while making a profit through software sales. I don't see how it could possibly manage more.

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

Around the Network

Make it a viable option for consumers, have a varied list of games not only a few specific types. Sale near its competition, anything else will always be seen as failure.

MohammadBadir said:
COLD_COBRA_ said:
Most Nintendo fans on here think it will outsell ps4 ltd. So that.

Nobody says that. Either you're making that up or by "here" you mean those crazy ass fanboys on IGN and the likes, and even then those are few and far and between.

The general conscious is that the WiiU would end up with little sales compared to the competition. But I think in order for it to be considered successful, it has to pass atleast the GC. Business-wise matters to an extent as well, but most people don't care about that. GameCube made a profit while the PS3 probably never broke even, but people often consider the GC as a failure while the PS3 as a success.

They don't? Just from the thread on the front page right now

The Ps4 will not disapper from the market.. but (i think) sales will slow (even) more down.. and WiiU will pass in weekly sales. (before this cristmas)

FromDK said:
WiiU+3DS will beat PS4+ Vita.. by + 20 mill..

Why I think that...

I know a lot of sony fans on this side are having wild dreams of total PS4 domination.. And after last gen.. psp go and the vita.. i understand why you have to make a litle "thunder".. And it's ok.. you deserve it.. be proud of the fine start ps4 got..

But to start saying that PS4 will trible WiiU.. is just to fare out.. IF they are really lucky they beat WiiU (and that is not even sure yet.. (We all know Nintendo have the best "casual/family" brand.. and that.. bigest of all consurmer group still have to "decide" the winner) 

Therefor.. (IMO)

WiiU 55-65 mill + 3DS 85-95 mill = 140-160 mill

PS4 55-65 mill + Vita 40-50 mill = 95-115 mill

Buttom line.. there is not a chance in hell.. that Sony combined will beat Nintendo combined

Cyrus said:
WiiU will Probably outsell PS4, with 3DS outselling Vita by far this makes WiiU+3DS>PS4+Vita in sales imho.

No matter how good things ever get for Nintendo, they will always be "DOOOMED!!!"

And they'll be new reasons for lack of 3rd party support.

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

I think the PS4 will sell the most this gen, but why do people call out others for saying that the WiiU might beat it?
None of us can see into the future. Maybe Nintendo comes out with a game that everyone wants to play or an add on like the Morpheus or something else...

Around the Network

I kinda like the direction Nintendo are taking, their 1st party games are of the highest quality and they are now taking the route of buying up exclusives or doing collaborations eg Devils third, Bayo 2 ,Hyrule Warriors, which is needed due to lack of third party. Mario Kart 8 seems to have done a good job so far by shifting quite a few consoles and doubling the weekly baseline. Add this to the upcoming Smash Bros,Kirby, Xenoblade, Zelda and some very interesting new IPs such as Splatoon and Captain Toad, its quite safe to say Wii U is a huge success for gamers. If these upcoming titles provide more sales boosts a la Mario Kart, then we could well be seeing a nice little turnaround for Wii U. Obviously not gen winning sales, but enough to be profitable and gain momentum and good word of mouth carrying them into the next gen.

Im also curious to see how Amiibo fares.

to profit

WII U // PC // 3ds XL // VITA

outselling the original xbox and gamecube

nice

At this point, I'd say first and foremost profits. But just as important is keeping their fan base satisfied.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

http://venturebeat.com/2014/07/09/the-wii-u-is-set-to-impress/

I already wrote about my thoughts. I think it's already a success to fans of Nintendo as it already has amazing games that you won't find elsewhere. Only the stupid would consider sales numbers as somehow relevant to them beyond the scope of the enjoyment of a sequel.

As for what Nintendo would consider a success, that's a different story. Actually seeing a return on their Wii U investment is the priority at the moment. People like to think they're doing damage control, but I'm fairly certain Nintendo is about to reveal the game plan they've had from the very beginning for the Wii U. The amiibo was their go to for this generation from the very beginning, hence why it was built into the hardware. People should probably look at the debut of the amiibo as the true release of the Wii U.