By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why is Bioshock 1 so praised?

Tagged games:

Do you agree with praisin' Bioshock?

I'd rather Praise the Sun. 21 8.54%

Yes, definitively one of the best games ever. 84 34.15%

Yes...but there are better games. 53 21.54%

Yes. 15 6.10%

Meh, it's indifferent to me. 10 4.07%

No, definitively not one ... 18 7.32%

No...there are better games. 10 4.07%

No. 12 4.88%

Bioshock 2 better? Are you fucking INSANE? 7 2.85%

Show me results! 15 6.10%

Total:245

It's because it was fresh at the time. I remember playing the demo, sitting in a plane and then when it went down and I was swimming in the ocean, fire all around me, looking for a way to survive, I found this little cement place with a door...it was pretty pretty different.

Around the Network

Because it sucked you into it's world in a way that very few games can. Obviously not everyone feels this way but it's defiantely in my best games of last gen category. I thoroughly enjoyed bioshock 2 as well, even the multiplayer. I think people were too hard on the sequel for not giving them that same wonderment that the first one did.

Wright said:
Euphoria14 said:

Definitely the atmosphere for me. That was what I enjoyed the most about it,

I enjoyed the gameplay as well, with all the powers you could gain and the abiliity to upgrade them.

So with both of those in mind I voted "I'd rather praise the sun".

Glad to hear that there's some sunbros here. VXIII also came to praise its magnificient Lord :)

The sun is a wondrous body. Like a magnificent father! If only I could be so grossly incandescent!

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

No option to vote on you being a hipster?

-CraZed- said:
No option to vote on you being a hipster?

Thought of it, but it didn't fit on the poll options after exhausting all others. And I wasn't going to sacrifice "praisin' the Sun" option. ;)

Around the Network

I liked how the game had shades of System Shock in it, coupled with updated graphics and an interesting world are what helped suck me into Bioshock 1. Going back to it now kind of does it a disservice though, doesn't age well (imo, mostly because plenty of other games you may have played drew from its influences, as well as the twist loses its bite and decreases it's replay value for me).

I thought it was pretty good at the time. It was something different,from your typical bro shooters.

oldschoolfool said:
I thought it was pretty good at the time. It was something different,from your typical bro shooters.

Problem is, by the time Bioshock 1 arrived, there wasn't the huge amount of so called "typical bro shooters". Call of Duty 3 had just released, if I am not mistaken. We were still on the WW2 shooters era.

Wright said:
oldschoolfool said:

Problem is, by the time Bioshock 1 arrived, there wasn't the huge amount of so called "typical bro shooters". Call of Duty 3 had just released, if I am not mistaken. We were still on the WW2 shooters era.

Well,it was that way for me. I played it probably a year after it came out. I remember getting it for $20. I thought it was pretty good. I did'nt think it was the second coming of anything,but I thought it was solid. 

Wright said:

Yet atmosphere is broken at times. Especially with the horrible final boss battle and crappy endings, which apparently can be overlooked, for example.

If it's immersive atmosphere through gameplay what truly sets Bioshock, then why Bioshock 2 was less praised?

No one overlooks those. Bioshock isn't perfect, but it's praise is justified.  I've never played Bioshock 2, so I can't offer any help there.