By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why is Bioshock 1 so praised?

Tagged games:

Do you agree with praisin' Bioshock?

I'd rather Praise the Sun. 21 8.54%

Yes, definitively one of the best games ever. 84 34.15%

Yes...but there are better games. 53 21.54%

Yes. 15 6.10%

Meh, it's indifferent to me. 10 4.07%

No, definitively not one ... 18 7.32%

No...there are better games. 10 4.07%

No. 12 4.88%

Bioshock 2 better? Are you fucking INSANE? 7 2.85%

Show me results! 15 6.10%

Total:245

Part of the reason is because you played it late.  The benchmark for storytelling has raised enormously over this past generation.

Back when Bioshock came out, it inovated on a number of fronts:

-Atmospheric storytelling

-New mechanics (plasmids and such)

-Sound Design

Bioshock has aged well, but as time goes on, it begins to seem less impressive due to the bar for immersive storytelling being raised by games like TLOU, Allen Wake, Mass Effect, or even Journey.  

It was amazing at the time it released which is why it stands tall as one of the best games of the generation.  If it was released today, it would still be considered a "good" game, just not near as groundbreaking.

Around the Network

This game and Condemned had me in astonishment. The atmosphere of both games were incredible. The ending boss was a complete failure tho. Utter disappointment. Wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy to easy. Can't even stress that enough.

In terms of atmosphere and story, it is simply one of the best games ever. Sure the gunplay is pretty awful but it is the combination of using plasmids and guns that makes the game great. I still think the best plasmid ever was the Bee swarm. Has there ever been a better power in any game ever! And I loved Bioshock 2 also. The story was not as good but they improved on many of the clunky gameplay mechanics of the first one including a more fun hacking game and being able to dual wield plasma and gun. I actually didn't like Infinite nearly as much as those two games. Sure it was a great game but the original Bioshock and its sequel were just better IN MY OPINION! Thanks

This is like when someone asks why HL2 is so highly praised... The game is praised because it added revolutionary gameplay elements and pushed the genre to new limits. You know, like the little sisters who were INCREDIBLY controversial at the time. Then there's the revolutionary stealth system. Also the fact that it was a spiritual sequel to System Shock 2 also helped a great deal. We'd been waiting on a sequel to that game for almost 10 years I think.

This is why I wonder if The Last of Us is overhyped or not. You people seem to only see what's in front of you, you don't actually look at the bigger picture ever. I haven't played it so I have held my peace, but this wouldn't be the first time Sony fans have had bloated impressions of their games.

Wright said:

I'm not hating on Bioshock with this, neither I want to make it look like Metro:Last Light out of my opinion is far superior. My main complain is that critics gave a free pass on Bioshock's 1 flaws, whereas everyone punished Last Light for its flaws.

The original Metro 2033 was way better than Last light. I actually got kind of bored with Last light. 2033 had me for every second until the end. I place 2033 in the same general category as Bioshock 1.

As for people talking about Wolfenstein the new order. This game is good but not in the same category as Bioshock. The final stupid boss battle was so dumb, it just pissed me off. I spent the whole game upgrading my character and getting better guns etc and then they have you do a three step process(guns you have are irrelevant) to kill the boss. There are no spoilers here as I am not telling the steps but it is sooooo dumb.

The only game to piss me off more than this was the original Risen. A GREAT game(again completely in my opinion) but the final boss requires you to platform(which the game had awful platforming) and use a specific weapon and armor(never mind all the time you spent getting good at swords as you had to use a stupid hammer at the end.) Uggghhh. Still have high hopes for Risen 3 though!

Around the Network
DarkD said:

This is why I wonder if The Last of Us is overhyped or not. You people seem to only see what's in front of you, you don't actually look at the bigger picture ever. I haven't played it so I have held my peace, but this wouldn't be the first time Sony fans have had bloated impressions of their games.

Not overhyped. Please hold your opinions until you play this game. I have never cared about two characters as much as I did with the Last of Us. Games like Bioshock and Half life 2 were great but lets face it. None of us cared about the generic protagonists. Dead Space is another game that is so awesome but the main character had zero personality. 

That being said, sometimes I like a game with a non-descript protagonist. The game is supposed to be about me experiencing the adventure--not some character with a complicated backstory. 

Gremdude said:
DarkD said:

Not overhyped. Please hold your opinions until you play this game. I have never cared about two characters as much as I did with the Last of Us. Games like Bioshock and Half life 2 were great but lets face it. None of us cared about the generic protagonists. Dead Space is another game that is so awesome but the main character had zero personality. 

That being said, sometimes I like a game with a non-descript protagonist. The game is supposed to be about me experiencing the adventure--not some character with a complicated backstory. 

You just contradicted yourself...  Experiencing the adventure would be HL2 and Bioshock (heavy atmosphere, and brief story segments, lots of gameplay), and Last of Us would be "some character with a complicated backstory", as you said yourself "I have never cared about two characters as much as I did with The Last of Us".  

The reason HL2 and Bioshock are great is because they brought the gameplay concepts forward.  They didn't just perfect what already existed, they pioneered the unexplored.  That's why those titles are so great and why I still doubt The Last of Us.  All you tout is solid gameplay and storyline.  Even if those two aspects are perfect, if there's nothing genre defining then it doesn't break into the legendary category for me.  I still haven't heard, what is it that The Last of Us does that has never been done before, otherwise I refuse to consider it above a 90/100.

Bioshock started of great, great atmosphere, but got rather repetitive/formulaic later on with a crap ending.
Bioshock 2 started of crap, but then delivers the best level design and gameplay of the series with a decent ending.
Bioshock Infite starts of great again, great ending as well, but drags in the middle with a theme park corridor feel.

The best bits of all 3 would make one of the best games of last gen.

I really enjoyed the gameplay in Bioshock but what put it over the top for me was the atmosphere and the story including the twist and the writing/voice acting in the voxophone messages.

My favorite game of the 7th gen and one of my very favorite games of all time. Love it.

DarkD said:
Gremdude said:
DarkD said:

You just contradicted yourself...  Experiencing the adventure would be HL2 and Bioshock (heavy atmosphere, and brief story segments, lots of gameplay), and Last of Us would be "some character with a complicated backstory", as you said yourself "I have never cared about two characters as much as I did with The Last of Us".  

The reason HL2 and Bioshock are great is because they brought the gameplay concepts forward.  They didn't just perfect what already existed, they pioneered the unexplored.  That's why those titles are so great and why I still doubt The Last of Us.  All you tout is solid gameplay and storyline.  Even if those two aspects are perfect, if there's nothing genre defining then it doesn't break into the legendary category for me.  I still haven't heard, what is it that The Last of Us does that has never been done before, otherwise I refuse to consider it above a 90/100.

Because hearing about it wont change your mind. When you play the last of us you will understand. I myself dint care much about this type of game when you had to care for the caracter and the story instead of the gameplay but then I played it and to be honest I almost cryed a few times specially in the intro. This game for me was like a movie how the characters drew me in.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.