By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why is Bioshock 1 so praised?

Tagged games:

Do you agree with praisin' Bioshock?

I'd rather Praise the Sun. 21 8.54%

Yes, definitively one of the best games ever. 84 34.15%

Yes...but there are better games. 53 21.54%

Yes. 15 6.10%

Meh, it's indifferent to me. 10 4.07%

No, definitively not one ... 18 7.32%

No...there are better games. 10 4.07%

No. 12 4.88%

Bioshock 2 better? Are you fucking INSANE? 7 2.85%

Show me results! 15 6.10%

Total:245

There were pros and cons. Honestly, I saw the game as rather uninspired.
The environment, the feel, the characters...all very brilliant.
The gameplay, powers, enemies...stale.

Around the Network

Same reason last of us and uncharted are so praised, no one really knows lol.

Did you complain about the illusion of choice?

--------------The point

------------ your head

Great commentary on the nature of interactive entertainment that would set the stage for Infinite.

Wright said:

DISCLAIMER: I did like the game.

I was chatting with some friends about this particulary game the other day, and to this day it stills amazes me.

Maybe it's because I played it too late, somewhere around 2010-2011, and not back in 2006/7 (don't remember now) when it released. But seriously, why is Bioshock 1 so praised?

No matter how I look at it, it's just an atmospheric FPS with a nice twist. But everything else is completely dull; sure, gameplay is good for the most part, and I kind of see why fighting Big Daddies is such a big thing, but atrocious boss battle and endings, illusion of choice for the most part of the game, plus some inmmersion-breaking moments (five minutes into the game and you're inyecting yourself some strange syringes in a machine? YES, I know why the character does that, but you can't expect me to understand it at that moment, right?). On a side note, the hacking mini-game was very cool.

Is it the twist? Is that it? It's certainly a good one, but I'll be damned if there aren't better plot twists out there. What is it, exactly? I honestly think there are far better FPS out there (Heck, I do think Bioshock 2 is still the best Bioshock of the franchise, yet this one got more bashing than 1 or Infinite), yet they receive less praise, when they achieve a much more smooth gunplay and inmmersive atmosphere/plot.

Or maybe I'm just a hipster.

The time is the reason. When it was new I played it and I loved it.

Playing it in 2010+ kills it because as every realistic looking game it aged like shit. (its just unreal engine 2 not 3!)

The atmosphere was fantastic when it was new but the visuals kill part of the atmosphere today.

Excellent gunplay with extremely deep combat. So many different ammo types and powers and environmental elements make for tons and tons of great combinations.

The setting. Probably the best I have ever experienced in a game. The atmosphere is just unmatched.

Big Daddies. Hearing them lumbering around created an emotional mix of fear (of death, they were quite strong) and excitement (they were awesome fights, and what goodies is he gonna drop?) that games rarely invoke nowadays.

Awesome story too. Just a complete package of a game. Best SP game of last generation imo. I also loved Bioshock 2 and Infinite.

Around the Network

Bioshock was a good game ... That's all there really is to say. As for deserving praise it does get some credits from me atleast.

It was the only Bioshock that wasn't linear in design.

That itself made it the best for me.

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

Because what it did with its atmosphere and story was more important that what it did as a shooter. I've played "better shooters" before, but none of them meant anything after I was done. Bioshock stuck with me because it accomplished something that I had never before experienced in a game.

To me, "shootin' dudes" wasn't the point at all. It's different for each person depending on why they played it and what they expected.

Currently playing:

Bloodbath Paddy Wagon Ultra 9

Never got around to finishing it but i can see why people loved it so much especially if you go intp the thing blind. The intro was incredible and the lore is amazing. Also just the terror of meeting a big daddy and the creepy girls for the first time is sweet. I feel like the best way of playing this is by knowing nothing about it. Kind of how i look at fallout aswell. Just slowly figuring out what and how things happened... Now i want to play fallout 3 again

It was pretty impressive for its time, with a unique story/atmosphere/gameplay. Better games have come out since its release, but not much will give you quite the same experience if you had played it back in 2007.

Something...Something...Games...Something