By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why is Bioshock 1 so praised?

Tagged games:

Do you agree with praisin' Bioshock?

I'd rather Praise the Sun. 21 8.54%

Yes, definitively one of the best games ever. 84 34.15%

Yes...but there are better games. 53 21.54%

Yes. 15 6.10%

Meh, it's indifferent to me. 10 4.07%

No, definitively not one ... 18 7.32%

No...there are better games. 10 4.07%

No. 12 4.88%

Bioshock 2 better? Are you fucking INSANE? 7 2.85%

Show me results! 15 6.10%

Total:245

The atmosphere and gameplay are just topnotch. Add a great story and excellent level design, and you've got a 10/10 game.

Around the Network
Wright said:
AZWification said:

Umm.........because BioShock 2 played it very safe? The story wasn't as interesting as before, the gameplay was kinda repetitive, it was shorter and easier etc.....

Well, if Bioshock 1 nailed greatness as critics say, playing it safe would only mean you have another hit in greatness. Can't improve from perfection right?

The story was certainly more interesting, and I don't agree about difficulty. All Bioshocks are easy games.

If gameplay was kinda repetitive...that means on Bioshock 1, gameplay was kinda repetitive too.

Bioshock 2 is my favorite of the three. I honestly think it didnt get praised as much because its subject matter was anti-collectivism instead of ant-objectivism. 

Who is John Galt?

3DS Friend Code : 2535-4338-9000 

AMD FX 8150 , 8 GB DDR3 Kingston Memory,  EVGA GTX 560 TI 2 GB superclocked, Samsung 256 GB SSD

I thought the game was awesome! I only noticed the many times "Would you kindly" was said on my second playthorugh.

JWeinCom said:
Did you complain about the illusion of choice?

--------------The point

------------ your head

Great commentary on the nature of interactive entertainment that would set the stage for Infinite.

Took me a while to understand what you were saying, but yeah, I realize the flaw in my original post. I blame my poor English skills on it, though!

I think Bioshock 2 is blatantly the weakest of the series. 1 and Infinite are neck and neck, with 1 being ever so slightly better as I find Rapture more compelling that Columbia.

Around the Network

Definitely the atmosphere for me. That was what I enjoyed the most about it,

I enjoyed the gameplay as well, with all the powers you could gain and the abiliity to upgrade them.

So with both of those in mind I voted "I'd rather praise the sun".

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

I remember pretty cool uses for your powers like electrifying water to shock a ton of people or hijacking enemy robots to do your bidding.

Its mainly because its a retelling of very old stories, mainly influenced by Ayn Rand.
Almost everything in the first game was influenced by her 2 famous books - Atlas shrugged and Fountainhead
- which are both used in anagram form to name certain characters within the game.

Current Game Machines: 3DS, Wii U, PC.

Currently Playing: X-Com(PC), Smash Bros(WiiU), Banner Saga(PC), Guild Wars 2(PC), Project X Zone(3DS), Luigis Mansion 2(3DS), DayZ(PC)

Euphoria14 said:

Definitely the atmosphere for me. That was what I enjoyed the most about it,

I enjoyed the gameplay as well, with all the powers you could gain and the abiliity to upgrade them.

So with both of those in mind I voted "I'd rather praise the sun".

Glad to hear that there's some sunbros here. VXIII also came to praise its magnificient Lord :)

The atmosphere and how you had choice/creative potential in gameplay.

The "Frasier" of FPS's at the time.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles.