By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Ubisoft: "Whatever", to those against it's DLC practices.

Tamron said:

i agree with him, whatever, its not like you have to buy it, a d doing so spoils the game anyway, its not like buying them gives you an unfair advantage in multiplayer.

people whining over the most trivial of shit these days

i wonder if they would have whined in the early 90s that they had to buy game mags to get the cheat codes from,  too. 

you can buy game resources witg real cash in most mobile games,  most mmos,  and so on,  yet ubisoft do it and theyre the scum of the earth?  sheesh

that is such a good point. 

for a buck you basically save yourself the trouble of finding the information on gamefaqs.  i've got no problem with this.

Around the Network

i hardly ever buy dlc. but this is cheese dick stuff here.
i remember the good old days when i could put in several codes for a cheat... for free.

Whatever is also the atitude ubisoft has for PC versions of games that run like shit when they come out.

They are becoming alot like EA.

VanceIX said:
Machiavellian said:
VanceIX said:
Raven316 said:
Props to ubisoft for being honest. If you don't like then don't buy it. Why cry about it?

But wait! What if you like the DLC, and wish that it was included in the main game like a lot of the DLC these days should, but at te same time don't want to spend $80-100 on one single game overall?

This is like a phone manufacturer taking out the mobile internet antennas in their phone and making you buy them seperately. Does your phone work just fine without it? The basic functions, sure. But it should be included as part of the whole package. 

The problem is that game development does not work that way.  Before a game is actually started its already been storyboarded.  Most developers cannot fit everything they can within a game within the defined timeframe they have to release a game.  Actually its best if the developer have a defined timeframe and meet milestones to stay on course and not bleed money trying to throw everything they can in a project and not recoup the cost.  TIme is money for software development and not meeting your release dates cost a lot of money as there is a huge engine behind the scenes that work to get games into gamers hand.

Gamers have a very limited amount of understanding how software development works and even less how game development works.  OF course gamers believe all DLC content should have been in the original game but in reality its far from what actually goes on.  During certain phazes of game development a lot of the team have down time.  During this time if they are not working on another project they they are let go.  DLC gives those people jobs that they can do which bring in revenue for the studio and everyone gets paided.

That's not the point. Sure, they'll develop content to add into the game. The problem is, they have the audacity to give a Day-1 season pass, knowing that consumers will spend a lot more on their game than standard price. Then, smaller teams work on terrible DLC, which is charged at a $15-20 premium where it should be given for free (in case of maps or game modes). 

That's not to say all DLC is bad. Bethesda makes excellent DLC, and if more of the industry followed their footsteps this wouldn't be a problem. 

@Bolded:  Why exactly should any DLC be given for free.  People who get paid a salary made the content and those salaries have to be paid or the employee is a cost instead of an asset.  Any development studio that does not manage such cost probably ends up on the chopping block real soon.  Unless a studio is bringing in huge sums of money selling the primary game which is not the case for most studios, then having employees making free content and not recouping the cost for that employee drawing a paycheck is bound to put your studio in the red.

If DLC is crap at the price you mentioned, gamers have all the rights in the world to judge that DLC with their wallet.  Day 1 season passes is there because the developer was smart enough to plan out their project, including any additional content once the main game was finalize.  If the main game turned out incomplete then gamers have their GOD given rights to never purchase from that studio again.

It's very simple, don't buy the DLC. They will eventually drop it if no one bites the bait. Their games are no where near the level of needing cheat codes to get by anyway, if we were talking some insane hard game that required cheats say like Shinobi or something sure input cheats for FREE. Pay for lack of skill is stupid, also I can't wait for Ubisoft to collapse, they destroyed AC and became the second coming of EA. Pathetic company.

IkePoR said:
The gripe with pre orders is how they're pushed through the roof, how games you don't even know will be any good are tricking people with these gorgeous CGI trailers and instantly want the people to drop a preorder.  It's easy to blame the consumer for "falling for it" but it shouldn't be their fault, it's the fact that the publisher is selling a game on lies a lot of times (Final Fantasy 13, Watch Dogs) and it shouldn't be the consumers job to do quality control.

Sure, but that has nothing to do with DLC. If the bonus is purely cosmetic, then it's entirely the consumer's choice as to whether or not to preorder, and they're not missing out on anything important if they don't preorder. The question of whether preordering itself is reasonable is an entirely different question.

Also, it's worth noting that very little of Hyrule Warriors that we've seen has been "CGI" (obviously, by literal definition, it's all CGI, but the Hyrule Warriors videos have mostly been in-game with actual gameplay videos). So there's been little by way of "tricking" people.

Around the Network
Aielyn said:
IkePoR said:
The gripe with pre orders is how they're pushed through the roof, how games you don't even know will be any good are tricking people with these gorgeous CGI trailers and instantly want the people to drop a preorder.  It's easy to blame the consumer for "falling for it" but it shouldn't be their fault, it's the fact that the publisher is selling a game on lies a lot of times (Final Fantasy 13, Watch Dogs) and it shouldn't be the consumers job to do quality control.

Sure, but that has nothing to do with DLC. If the bonus is purely cosmetic, then it's entirely the consumer's choice as to whether or not to preorder, and they're not missing out on anything important if they don't preorder. The question of whether preordering itself is reasonable is an entirely different question.

Also, it's worth noting that very little of Hyrule Warriors that we've seen has been "CGI" (obviously, by literal definition, it's all CGI, but the Hyrule Warriors videos have mostly been in-game with actual gameplay videos). So there's been little by way of "tricking" people.

Of course, didn't mean the honest games and publishers.  Hyrule Warriors is assuredly in no way able to lie - it's a Dynasty Warriors game, you're not going to trick anyone if you tried lol 

That and Nintendo has showned pretty much nothing but gameplay.  

"You should be banned. Youre clearly flaming the president and even his brother who you know nothing about. Dont be such a partisan hack"

IkePoR said:

Disgusting.  Thier attitudes are amoung the fucking worst and most arrogant imaginable.

I think your attitude is terrible. Self-righteous and overly dramatic. 

No-one is forced to do anything. Some people SUCK at games and LIKE the option UBISOFT gives them. Not that I would do that. To call it disgusting means (for sure) that you're going to be repeating the same thing over and over and over again on the internet and be one of the many who just complain about how terrible the industry is.

I wish the world would work other way around.

I mean I go to work my boss is giving me less money than my work is actually worth (he wants profit)and the state wants some taxes. Then I go and buy stuff which is worth again LESS than the money I spent on it (developer/manufacturer wants money) and the state again wants some taxes too.

The consumer should be able to tell evereyone "I think this is worth SO much I give you X money for it" and we also should be able to go and say "I dont like science/military/school/healthcare/whatever" so we dont need to pay the taxed for those.

Shit like DLC would not exist in a world like that. (ADDONS would). With stuff like DLC etc the whole industry should be donation based. Everything should be priced at what its actually worth. And if devs/manufacturers etc want profit they have to rely on people donating. And if the product is shit they simply dont get any money and would have to do BETTER next time.

Tamron said:
MoHasanie said:
Well he's right. There was no resistance. People just keep buying DLC.

release a game and dont add dlc : wahhhh you made us pay retail then abandoned the game

release a game and add dlc : wahhhh you made us pay retail then try to bleed us dry

pretty much. 

Said no one ever.

Getting an XBOX One for me is like being in a bad relationship but staying together because we have kids. XBone we have 20000+ achievement points, 2+ years of XBL Gold and 20000+ MS points. I think its best we stay together if only for the MS points.

Nintendo Treehouse is what happens when a publisher is confident and proud of its games and doesn't need to show CGI lies for five minutes.

-Jim Sterling

Machiavellian said:
VanceIX said:

That's not the point. Sure, they'll develop content to add into the game. The problem is, they have the audacity to give a Day-1 season pass, knowing that consumers will spend a lot more on their game than standard price. Then, smaller teams work on terrible DLC, which is charged at a $15-20 premium where it should be given for free (in case of maps or game modes). 

That's not to say all DLC is bad. Bethesda makes excellent DLC, and if more of the industry followed their footsteps this wouldn't be a problem. 

@Bolded:  Why exactly should any DLC be given for free.  People who get paid a salary made the content and those salaries have to be paid or the employee is a cost instead of an asset.  Any development studio that does not manage such cost probably ends up on the chopping block real soon.  Unless a studio is bringing in huge sums of money selling the primary game which is not the case for most studios, then having employees making free content and not recouping the cost for that employee drawing a paycheck is bound to put your studio in the red.

If DLC is crap at the price you mentioned, gamers have all the rights in the world to judge that DLC with their wallet.  Day 1 season passes is there because the developer was smart enough to plan out their project, including any additional content once the main game was finalize.  If the main game turned out incomplete then gamers have their GOD given rights to never purchase from that studio again.

You don't seem to understand what PR is. Companies like Activision, Ubisoft, and EA do themselves no good releasing shitty DLC at premium prices. It might bring them a lot of money, but it harms their image in the long run. 

Take 2K. They seem to have DLC down pretty well in games like GTA, Elder Scrolls, and Fallout. Entire new stories that could be games in and of themselves are released for the same price as crappy CoD map packs. That's what DLC should be like.

Also, your statement about gamers judging with their wallets is very off. Many times gamers simply don't have a choice in DLC. If you want to continue to play Call of Duty or Battlefield competetively, you will be throwing down $20-40 after you pay the base $60. The base game alone will get you nothing in the long run.

And Day 1 season pass is companies thinking ahead? LOL. Games like Battlefield 4 launch with Day-1 season passes and are a complete mess from the start, obviously poorly planned and developed. Season pass is just another way for publishers to quickly line their pockets regardless of the quality that their DLC is. It means they can be lax in DLC development because they already made the cash from it.

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC