By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Research Firm Says Nintendo Amiibo Figures Are Among The Most Desired Smart Toys In US, Europe

Will you be buying Amiibo?

Yes, their Awesome! 114 54.29%

No they are for kids! 39 18.57%

Maybe 56 26.67%

Total:209

nothing stopping the kids playing with them as regular toys.

Around the Network

If this takes off, it will be great for Nintendo whether or not it sells hardware since they will be making soo much profit

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

These things are such a blatant cash grab.

phaedruss said:

Isn't that the purpose?  There's no reason to treat a company trying to make money as something bad.  It doesn't hurt the consumer.

MDMAlliance said:
phaedruss said:

Isn't that the purpose?  There's no reason to treat a company trying to make money as something bad.  It doesn't hurt the consumer.

Lol what? Corporations are criticized all the time for shady business practices. That's the best way to keep them honet. I suppose we shouldn't complain about micro-transactions and pay 2 win BS in games either, eh? I don't really get this mentality.

Around the Network

I'm definitely going to be getting at least 2 or 3, and my girlfriend will probably get Pikachu or Marth.

BUT, I think Nintendo may have dropped the ball somewhat by not having an Amiibo-centric game along the lines of Infinity or Skylanders. It's going to be a touch sell to get 7 year olds excited for these on the strength of Smash Bros; a game that is ultimately aimed at a much older audience.

If there was a Nintendo version of Infinity (I could see a Nintendoland style game working great, let's call it Nintendoland 2), bundled with a Wii U, and 2/3 figures (say, Link, Mario and Pikachu) released mid-November it would do gangbusters. As it is, without that killer app to get the kids excited for the toys these could be a damp squib.

Monney for Nintendo!

And we'll see that by the time these figures come out the trend will be long gone..

"Jason Coston, research manager at Interpret, says that even before Nintendo revealed Amiibo figures at last month’s E3 event they were among the most desired smart toys in the US, Europe and Brazil."

They probably just asked them if they'd Pokemon in their Skylanders.

phaedruss said:

why? u can buy a little mario, and train him in mk and smash. and u can let them battle against your friends amiibos, your friends or play against them yourself.  u dont think 9,99$ is a good price for all the fun?