By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony says only "natural disaster" could keep TVs in red this year

Well I've been hearing a bit about the fragility of the global economy lately. Interest rates are persistently low, central banks are still printing money trying to keep economies moving. A natural disaster might not be coming, but an economic tremor might keep TV in the red.

But I hope they do turn a wee profit. It would feel weird to not have Sony TV's around.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Around the Network

Really? I thought Sony's TV division is the natural disaster?

tiffac said:

Precisely...

jk

Yay!!!

Wh1pL4shL1ve_007 said:
tiffac said:

Precisely...

jk

Yeah, I couldn't help it either. It was too good of a comment to pass up. Trolololo! XD

I guess 4k adoption will happen as it was with 3d. Nobody was buying 3d-TVs in the beginning because nobody is going to pay more for the new stuff. Now if you buy a standard LCD it already is equipped with 3d. Same will happen with 4k, although there won't be enough content in the next years for it. But it will most probably still be a reason why people might buy a new TV in several years. Currently it is lacking content, decent input, some 4ks don't even have HDMI 2.0, higher power drain... And it won't do much for low distances in terms of picture quality - I hoped OLED would be the next big thing but it is still too expensive (although really producing better pictures).

Around the Network
foxtail said:
JWeinCom said:
I can't see 4K adoption happening in large enough numbers to meet Sony's forecasts, unless there is more native 4K content available.

Isn't it true that most TV networks are not even broadcasting in 1080p but in 1080i because of bandwidth concerns?  

What format will be most widely used for native 4K content?  

Netflix, Amazon, and Comcast will be offering it soon streaming, but it will be a limited amount of content.

JWeinCom said:
foxtail said:
JWeinCom said:
I can't see 4K adoption happening in large enough numbers to meet Sony's forecasts, unless there is more native 4K content available.

Isn't it true that most TV networks are not even broadcasting in 1080p but in 1080i because of bandwidth concerns?

What format will be most widely used for native 4K content?  

Netflix, Amazon, and Comcast will be offering it soon streaming, but it will be a limited amount of content.

At which bitrate with which codec TVs perhaps don't even support? Stomping 4x the amount of picture in a stream with the same bandwidth as "hd" (we don't even get bluray-quality nowadays via streaming) is nonsense and just marketing.

Sounds good.if Sony wants to sell more Tvs they need to lower prices just a bit

VITA 32 GIG CARD.250 GIG SLIM & 160 GIG PHAT PS3

Well I'm not believing it yet but one thing is for sure. If the TV business starts to profit, Sony is gonna be fine.

kowenicki said:
LurkerJ said:
kowenicki said:
World Cup. 

Why is it a relevant factor?

All manufacturers have been pushing their TV's with deals.  The World cup is always seen as a time when people replace TV's. Manufacturers and retailers push TV's and now that the large screen LCD tv's are so cheap and 4k is now more affordable they have been succesful in getting people to switch.

It is always one of, if not THE, biggest global TV events.  This one is no different.

For me it will probably be the Olympics, Big 4K screens are still expensive in Brazil and few content, not even the world cup is being broadcasted here in 4k I think.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."